Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1895 GS used and it was listed that it had a trigger job done, I weighted the trigger and it's 1 1/2 pounds. I tried to add some weight by bending the trigger spring a little and this added very little, all the parts appear to be factory.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
If it's had a trigger job, as advertised, then most likely either the
sear notch on the hammer has been filed/altered....Or, the main
spring has had a coil cut off it.
The easiest way to add some pull back would be to shim the main
spring by putting a small washer behind it, giving it more tension.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Only thing I’d be concerned with is the angle of the sear. If they took too much away, theoretically, more pressure on the hammer spring might make it unsafe. But that’s my opinion if they took too much and out of the sear.

·
Registered
19,715 Posts
Do a complete repair with new spring,sear,and hammer. If Bubba was in there,and it's unsafe,why invite trouble? Replace the trigger,too,if you feel it has been altered. Accidental/negligent discharges are too dangerous to even consider. Do the repairs correctly the first time,and shoot with confidence.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Added .042 washer and it didn't affect the trigger pull just make the hammer harder to pull back, ordering new parts as suggested. Thank You for all advise.
Good move. Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I bought a 336 years ago that also had a very light trigger. I was sure bubba had been in there. A good test ( which mine failed) is to first make double dang sure the rifle is unloaded, pull that hammer to full cock, and bounce the butt stock off the floor from 8"-10" high. If the hammer falls, you've got a bubba rifle. The hammer on that rifle would fall from about 6".

I replaced hammer and trigger on that one. I also bought a S&W 4" model 66 with push off. I got it $100 cheaper when I pointed it out to the seller. He didn't admit to being the "gunsmith" on it, but he agreed rather quickly. I'll slick up the internals on a Marlin or Smith, and replace springs, but I'm not comfortable messing with the hammer/sear area. (other than replacing them). Glad you were aware enough to recognize an unsafe condition. Bubba is everywhere now that the internet has created so many new "gunsmiths".

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good pickup. And good advice from Kraynky also.

Even after you replace the hammer and the springs, be sure you cock the hammer and bump the butt against the ground--not on cement, lest you chip the stock--or hit the butt solidly with a rubber mallet. Do this several many times, not just once.

Could be that Bubba took some off the sear, also...

Reactions: andy61
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.