Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1895 cb 45-70
had some trigger work done a while back guns smith handed me the rifle and a spring. (spring got lost in moving) :(

after which a certain brand of primers dont fire mostly( the trigger did appear lighter)

a year down the road
i installed the happy trigger myself and noticed the spring inside
was straight . The original was wider in the middle thinner on the ends.

So the guns smith originally filed the trigger and swapped springs

What i did was put the wild west trigger, in this kit. It did not come with spring. ( i think some do)

can someone explain what effect the spring has on pull .. i think see how a spring with more length or potential energy can hit the primer harder
but does it change trigger pull?

would the wild west trigger do better with the original spring (fat in the middle thin on the ends)?

·
Banned
16,242 Posts
I used the original spring with my WWG happy trigger kit. Mine breaks @ 2.2 lb IIRC, by Lyman Digital trigger gauge.

Reactions: auerdoan

·
Registered
16,172 Posts
The trigger spring has absolutely nothing to do with primer ignition or primer ignition inconsistencies. The hammer spring is the culprit there. We get a lot of bad reports from people who replace the hammer spring with a lighter one.

Which spring are you referring to?

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 5.05.29 PM - Edited.png
Trigger Spring

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 5.05.46 PM - Edited.png
Hammer Spring

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trigger spring has absolutely nothing to do with primer ignition or primer ignition inconsistencies. The hammer spring is the culprit there. We get a lot of bad reports from people who replace the hammer spring with a lighter one.

Which spring are you referring to?

View attachment 788235
Trigger Spring

View attachment 788237
Hammer Spring
those pictures correct me. He gave me back the hammer spring.. why would he change out the hammer spring to a straight spring on some trigger work???

Thanks for the correction

·
Registered
16,172 Posts
those pictures correct me. He gave me back the hammer spring.. why would he change out the hammer spring to a straight spring on some trigger work???

Thanks for the correction
You're welcome. If you're getting misfires, a common complaint from folks with aftermarket hammer springs, replace the hammer spring with a stock item. The trigger spring can be carefully bent ever-so-slightly to reduce trigger pull. Go back to a stock hammer spring, make sure you've got 100% dependable ignition then do the trigger work if necessary. I always found CCI magnum primers to have the toughest cups. If my rifles will ignite CCI Mags, I feel good about the job.

Reactions: doubloon
1,875 Posts
The hammer spring can have a noticeable effect on trigger pull weight. The stiffer the hammer spring, the more the hammer and sear are driven against each other, raising friction and weight of pull. Going to a reduced power hammer spring will usually net about a one pound reduction in pull weight, but alas, many large format Marlins (336, 1895, etc) will become unreliable with the reduced hammer spring, especially pre-safety models, which have lighter hammers. 1894s are typically 100% reliable with the rp springs since pistol primers are softer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts