Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all, from what I've read here and elsewhere, tree stands are real popular in the US and in Europe but has anyone tried them here in the antipodes?
Looking forward to your reply's

John

·
Registered
557 Posts
Haven't used one in Australia, but I used a tree stand bowhunting whitetail in Michigan years back. Had a half dozen does feeding under my tree one morning- amazing was only 10' above them, they walked off after a while none the wiser. Nailed a 8 pointer the next morning at 35yds with my PSE compond bow.He travelled less than 50yds - arrow had taken out both lungs and stopped in far side rib. We used a cover scent on the walk in and around the base of our tree's
I had an old self climber a mate lent me (looked like someone had knocked it up in the shed from 1" angle), you could carry it on your back like a pack to your tree. After mounting the base and the hand bracket to tree you then hooked your feet into the base and use the hand bracket thingy to hold tree then pulled your feet and the base up while taking your weight on your forearms , then you simply stood up and repositioned the hand thingy then repeat , inching up the tree.
Stood up one time and my stand spun about a quarter of the way around the tree - got the ticker going 3m's off the ground!
Once the leaves fell in fall, stalking quietly was impossible leaving a treestand the only choice for bowhunting. You need to do your homework and setup on some goood sign, and a safety rope is worthwhile

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear what you are saying there, imagine a before dawn walk in, cold, the morning sun warming you, the coffee wears off and you have a tiny grandpa nap... End of story.
Some of the guys in our hunting club are giving one a try. Some of the S.F's down 220's way look like they would be suitable as its so damn thick with blackberries but the deer are into the last of the fruit in the dead of winter. It is fascinating to see just how easily they can navigate through that thick stuff.
Brett that would have been memorable to say the least having all those deer meandering around beneath you like that, do you think it would be a cure or a catalyst for buck fever?

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I've used a treestand for many years.

There are two types. Climbers, such as you mention above, and hook on, which are held by a bracket that you attach to the tree. The hook on stands are lighter, and more secure, but they require a portable ladder or screw in steps to get into the stand.

Falls are potentially fatal from either type. The climbers can not only turn, but can drop suddenly if you step back too close to the tree. Actually, that's fairly common. Falls from the hook ons most often occur during climbing in or out of the stand.

If you want to use a stand, I would definitely recommend buying a commercial product, rather than making one up yourself--or having one made. The store bought one will be SAFER, lighter, easier to carry, and all around more convenient than anything you will build. The companies have already done their homework. And don't use a rope. Use a safety harness. It can be lifesaving when you need it. Picture yourself 10 meters up a tree, having fallen off your stand. The rope is now holding you under the armpits. How are you going to get down, or even back up? You may need to cut the rope...

One other issue is quietness. You don't want the stand to be creaking, groaning, ringing, or rattling as you move shift your weight on it. Try to factor that in when looking at stands.

Reactions: whiskers

·
Registered
395 Posts
I currently have close to 30 treestsnds on my farm, and about half are pre made ladder stands, rest are loc on's and climbers
and all I can say is there is a big differnce between types and makes
from quality and comfort
ladderstands to me are the best IF you can set up and leave them without worry of being stolen(a problem in my area)
reason is, leaving a ladder stand set up, critters get used to ot being there, you can normally get in and out a lot quietier, and they can be larger and more comfortable

loc on treestands , if you read the instructions, are NOT supposed to be mounted on a tree longer than a few weeks
something I know FEW follow
, but for safety , thats what folks should be doing, tree's grow and add a LOT of stress to the straps, and same for UV; breaking down the material
lots of places, its illegal to use screw in steps, making a strap on ladder be needed or climbing sticls, which adds to costs and just more stuff to carry in set up and remove

climbers, can be very comfortable, but they can be clumsy to carry in every day, or if left at the tree on the ground stolen
they make a bunch of noise climding and many times you won't know what the view is like till up the tree, and trees need to be rather straight, and not change diamiter, so angle on platform doesn't change too much from start to set up height

also good ones get pricey

a loc on can be used maybe in the ost places and be the lightest to carry in
Ladderstands , also can be used on a wide tree type, but can be heavy to set up//carry in
and climber I feel are the most picky on tree selection
all can be right for your set up, pending set up

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
mrbb is correct. I have numerous tree stands, but my personal favorites are the leaner type with the ladders attached. I almost always purchase a double wide leaner because I like to have a little room up there. The problem with the leaner is that it is semi permanent and as such is vulnerable to theft. I use my climber style when going to a new area or when a leaner is just not a viable option. I will also use a less expensive leaner type stand for a season or a few weeks but lock it to the tree to deter theft. If it is stolen it is not a huge loss. I find the simple single leaner stands on sale for $50-$60 every now and then. If I get a season or two out of it I feel like I got my money's worth out of it. Something else I recently invested in is a game cart. Some of my hunting locations are pretty far into the bush. Dragging a deer or hog that far is a chore. I typically leave the two game cart in my truck locked up with a bicycle cable type lock so it is readily available if needed. I like this particular cart because it can be adapted to be pulled by an ATV. The ATV is the modern day pack mule in my estimation.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G'day all, just like to poke the fire some more and repeat, has anyone over here given tree stands a go?
It is looking more like I will have to go out and have a sit in the tree's myself, just to find out.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
We have several up but here in the states. I have actually bagged as many deer sitting on the ground next to a big oak that disguises my silhouette.

I always start in one of the leaning style stands. If conditions aren't right for traffic there I move and find something to hide behind.

We take the cushions with us after season but leave the stands up. Just before season the straps get checked and replaced if needed and check all the bolts, pins, etc.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
557 Posts
Definitely worth a go-especially in the thick stuff. We scouted our area quite a few times before deer season and saw no deer-only sign, but once up in the stand I saw deer every day.
Find a scrape ,rub or well used trail to set up on. check your got good shooting alleys remove any branches in the way then wait. Use of a cover scent and washing all gear in unscented soap as well helps, talking bow hunting here- close range.
stand I used was pretty much like this- climberviews.jpg hand section was different ,not joined at front-like this without seat knowlesclimber.jpg pulled yourself up using your arms. The first one looks a better design (now I'm 15+yrs older) as you kinda sit on front rail of top section to pull bottom up and incorporates a safety bar and seat in top section. I just took a small fold up chair with mine. plans for these are here http://www.digiplan.ca/hunt/dkclimber.shtml
Also found this

tree_stand_base_plan_rev1.gif My result from Michigan - deer2.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts