Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the first tree stand i owned was a baker climber. the thing was beautiful if there was an abundance of the right kind of tree in the exact spot you wanted to be. you could not knock the thing out of an oak tree or for that matter any kind of tree that had a soft bark on it. you had just better know your trees!

one november morning up in the dell area of wisconsin knottybumpo and i were out after the deer. it was a beautiful morning for deer hunting being absolutely still and frosty. the deer were going to be moving for sure.

problem is getting into the timber before daylight without making enough noise to run them all out! one could hear a deer or a person walking in those frosty leaves for 150 yards or more. i had a good spot in mind.

a dirt road went up the side of the hill and i was sure i could get up to a good spot without making a ton of noise. i knew that deer used the old road for traveling and always had a few scrapes in it.

i got up there on the road in good shape with a minimum of racket. first thing i ran into was a nice scrape which was easily spotted as it was right in the road and bare dirt showing. looking around i spotted a tree that looked to be in the perfect position for a shot. no other tree ,close enough to do me any good ,looked suitable.

i eased over to the tree and checked it over. this fine specimen of wood turned out to be some kind of a hard, smooth barked maple. all kinds of bells, whistles and alarms started going off in my head. this would be a good time to look for a safer tree to climb.

i checked the skyline again for a likely candidate and nothing looked near as good as the specimen in front of me. taking out my little maglite, i shined it up the tree to check it out. it was straight and smooth for about 14 feet. at that point there was a knot sticking out 3 or 4 inches. well, alright!

i figured i could get up there and hook the blade above the knot and then there would be no way the stand could slip. i got all my stuff ready and the stand hooked to the tree.

i went slowly. i sure didn't want the deer to hear that stand clunking up the trunk. sneaky is the way. i got all the way up there where i could get my hands on that knot. when i reached up past it to pull the stand over it the blade lost its bite on that slick bark!
rrrriiiiiipppppppppppp!!! i took the express elevator down! i tried to stop myself by gripping the tree with my hands and legs but once started down i went all the way to the bottom with a resounding CRUNCH! ooohhhhh...that hurt. i couldn't feel my finger tips. my pants were ripped.

maybe the deer didn't hear that. oh sure! it was still dark out and i needed to get someplace quick! standing there on the ground i had another really good look around for a more friendlier tree. there just wasn't one there.

i glanced longingly up at that knot again. i'll be lots more careful THIS TIME. AGAIN i started up the tree. inching my way slowly up, i was being extremely cautious. all the way up again and i knew this time i had it whupped. i got the stand just under that knot. just one more lift with my feet and i would be sitting pretty. rrriiiiiippppppppppppppppp! i think i got to the ground much quicker the second time. i was bleeding pretty good by this time in several places and my fingers were missing most of the skin on the pads.

since every deer within a 1 mile radius knew i was there i figured i would just let that tree get along without my company. i thought that at some later date i might come back with a chain saw and .....but i didn't.

back at the truck later that morning knotty was agrinning at me. he had heard the racket from all the way across one of those wide valleys and knew axactly what had happened. when i told him i fell out of the same tree twice, he laughed out loud and right in front of me too. that's what friends are for.

i never tried climbing slick barked maples with that stand ever again....you don't have to kick me in the head more than twice!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wear your harness

Had my tree stand up a Fir over looking my bear bait site this spring. The second week, bear came toward it from behind me. Had forgotton to hook my harness, swung around to get a shot, fell off, and my binoculars beat the snot outa me all the way down through the branches as I'm grabbing branches to slow my drop. Landed on my feet, rifle still in the trees, broke my BEAK, ouch- another stupid human trick. Never got another shot at the bear, but fed him well all month... I think we bonded :wink:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
suzyq!

when you related hitting all those branches on the way down, i had the picture in my head! and the sound! ooh aah eee.....eee aah ooh! lol!

if breaking your beak didn't keep you out of those tree stands, then, indeed, you have grit!

if you are of the woman gender , as your name seems to imply, then you are a gritty woman. gritty women are pretty rare to encounter.

i suspect that old bear is living on borrowed time.

luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes Sir, of the female gender. I was pretty dingdang gritty when I got to the bottom of that tree. Quilting just doesn't do it for me anymore- when I started thinking about quilting some drapes for my dining room, I knew it was time to quit and get a real hobby. So started the Marlin addiction and the 45-70 purple shoulder. I sure can learn alot from this forum, hopefully how to get that pudgey bear this Fall. :lol: SQUACKS, I loved your story and its details. It brought me back to my childhood in the Lodi/Baraboo/Wisconsin Lake area, hunting bunnys and squirrels with a recurve after school with my friends. You brought back some wonderful memories. Thanks. :wink:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
suzyq:

the story related happened just a little west of lime ridge. i have hunted that area with knottybumpo since around 1983. been to baraboo a few times as well.

since you are spring bear hunting, i know you are no longer a "cheesehead". lol!

glad you enjoyed the story. i like to write of my more humerous experiences. those are the ones i remember the best!

sounds like you could scribe a few lines yourself! always interesting hearing a woman hunters views on hunting.

luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Now 2 hours from Jackson Hole, but job will probably take me to Montana, not crying about it. I sure do miss Autumne in Wisconsin and picking morel mushrooms in the Spring. Fillet bluegills would be nice with fresh tomatoes. OK, I'll stop my wining.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Squacks.. SuzyQ needs a Shawnee Vacation... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gunjunkie,

OK, when's the squirrel hunt, how much, etc- I may, if I grovel and humble myself to my boss, and agree to do outrageous overtime, be able to do it. Come on, I'd probably love to do it. I have other hunts though already planned and paid for. OK I'll research the Shawnee hunt, you're right, it would cure my homesickness without going to my home. Thanks for the idea. :? :) :eek: :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gull dang it!

Got antelope hunt Sept 15-23, drew a tag in my favorite area- gull dangit, can't do it all-just more to whine about- well it sounds like alot of folks will have a major squirrel BBQing rumpus- too bad those snakes are protected - bet you'd be eating more than squacks, canned carp , beans and flapjacks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
suzyq:

i spent a few days in jackson hole on several occasions. plan on being around there some time in aug for a little r&r and trout fishing. always wanted to fish the upper yellowstone river around buffalo forde but was never there when it was open.

my wife likes to go too. she fishes some but mostly likes to hang out in west yellowstone or jackson. tourist trapper for sure.

i also like fishing the snake in the tetons. i have an amusing story about "topping lakes" which is allegedly in the bridger/teton wilderness area. my wife groans at the name topping lakes. lol!

good luck on your "lope hunt.

luck!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
SuzyQ maybe next year then... good luck on the Lope hunt for sure.. and Just between us.. Snakes are not protected if I see them first.. :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
SQUACKS- To whet your appetite- caught a 27 inch brown off the Snake running a sow bug off the bottom last week, a battle to be sure. took awhile to revive that monster before turning him loose; he was almost as pooped as I was! Now someone had to go and mention hushpuppies... time to get some canned peppers first- they're not in season yet. :p
I will mark my calender for the next great Shawnee Squirrel hunt in 05, you bet, and pick an earlier lope hunt. :wink:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is one that i plum forgot about and seems rather appropriate with the upcoming bow deer season not so far of.

luck!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have done my last years in stands.. ground for me from now on.. I don't bounce like I used too.. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts