Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this topic can go here....but

About 25 years ago, I came across plans on how to build a tree stand. I moved, and of course now I can't find it. Instead of
buying a tree stand (I'd rather use the money for ammo, etc.) I would like to build one again. Does anybody out there have a site I could go to in order to download some plans? I have a good workshop and don't mind building my own. I don't want a permonent stand, it needs to be portable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tazwell

· Registered
76 Posts
I just buy the basic treestands at the end of the year, when they are on clearance. I bought 6 this year from Dick's. They only end up costing $35 and that is for the basic 15' ladder stand. At that price it is not worth building it yourself, especially since you would spend more then that in lumber, fasteners and paint. Not to mention the fact that the metal ladder stands are safer and last a long time much longer then a homemade one. Once I put them in the woods I never take them out, just move them if I feel like it. Just my take anyway.

· Premium Member
901 Posts
Tree stands are great.

Checkout your local pawn shop and archery shop for used climbers or ladder stands.

Both are a lot cheaper than building your own. Plus they are properly manufactured. (not knocking your skills & ability).

I was a Hull Tech. in the USN and when younger built a few. It does feel good to do it yourself.

However, I'd rather spend my time fishing or turkey hunting rather than running a wire feed welder.

Remember to harness up.

mckmain

· Registered
1,727 Posts
In years past I have built my own climbers but I usually come out spending as much as I could buy a good used one. I have found that flea markets, Craig’s list, or word of mouth is great ways to pick up quality used tree stands for a good price. I will never buy one that has been repainted or appears to have been modified due to safety concerns and I always use my hunter safety system for those “just in case” times.

I still build a few wooden ladder stands on hunting leases but with the cost of good quality metal ladders being between $100 and $150 dollars it is getting to the point of being cheaper to just buy them and they are a lot easier to transport or move when needed.

Now back to your original question… when I built my own I typically built them along the lines of the old tree lounge stands. You can search the web and find photos of them and they are simple and safe. For the fabric I used old trampoline material.

Festus

· Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
924 Posts
I have built a few permanent stands using stuff left on job sites that was going to be thrown away. I have one that is 16 feet high built from uni strut and grade 2 bolts flat washers and a metal platform. It is solid and has been in the same place for 7 years. I don't even have to chain it or lock it because it weighs a ton. No one is going to steal a 200 pound uni-strut built stand 1 mile from the nearest road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.