Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who hunt whitetails in the eastern woods, what is your preferred seat height for a tree stand?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Iv been knowen to go as high as 40 feet !

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
There are no State regulations but our county has a Hunting Regulation - "ANY STAND OR BLIND MUST BE A MINIMUM OF 8 FEET ABOVE THE GROUND."

GB45

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
Golfbuddy45 Is that to reduce recocet or your politicians have the ability to over think their I Q.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
For ladder stands I like to be 15 or 16 feet. For a climbing stand I like to be at least 20 feet but a lot depends on the surrounding terrain and what I'm hunting with (bow, handgun, or rifle).

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
If men were meant to be in trees they would have:

1. Wings

2. A prehensile tail

3. An opposing thumb on their feet.

Lacking all of the above, I'll keep my feet planted firmly on the ground!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I like to climb 20 to 30 feet, depends on what I'm trying to look over and how far I might be able to see.
CF

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
as high as I can go before running into a limb or getting chicken. Chicken is usually first, and typically NEVER higher than 20'! Not afraid of heights, just don't like hanging high up in a tree - espec if it gets windy - THAT is spooky!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I don't see the need to go over 20 feet unless maybe bowhunting heavily hunted deer. 40 feet c'mon, I climb telephone poles for a living and wouldn't consider 40 feet ;).

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
See reply #8 above!

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
In the years that I have hunted from a tree stand, I never went above 15 feet. I am sure that cover, habitat, hunting pressure, etc. all make different tree stand heights for different areas necessary. But for me, I just haven't ever seen the need to go higher than 15 feet.

Anything higher than that, and I will definitely defer to Halwg's post...

Halwg said:
If men were meant to be in trees they would have:

1. Wings

2. A prehensile tail

3. An opposing thumb on their feet.

Lacking all of the above, I'll keep my feet planted firmly on the ground!

;) ;D

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
From 40 feet up I shot 4 deer in under 20 min ! I was hunting a 70 acre clear cut . Could see all of my hunting property and then some !!! Bad part was tending to all 4 deer afterwords . I will never shoot that many at one time agine ! Passed on 3 the next day !!John

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I have the same tree year after year and my stand is only 12 feet of the ground. I am really camouflaged by a cedar and I have been really successful.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
In Oregon we clear cut the trees' levels the playing field and the ground foliage grows better.Makes for fatter targets. ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts