Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just wondering how you fellas hunt these critters. Do most of you still hunt, or stalk...give some details...Im getting cabin fever waiting for a good damn frost!

What time do most of you have succes in the woods? What do you look for in a hunting area? Any sp. gear?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I still hunt .. I may walk a little but not that often.. If I hear them I stop and sit..

·
Registered
81 Posts
I still hunt as well, i have found that where I hunt that if you are moving, the squirrels arent, so i have a nice spot where I stand and after a few minutes of silence the squirrels usually come out and start moving around, that when they get it with my 882SSV, also i have found that if you make like a real subtle squeak with you mouth, like sucking a little bit of air through your teeth and bottom lip, when your teeth and bottom lip are touching, that it brings out some squirrels some times when they wont move on their own, good luck!

Tell me about waiting for a good frost, there is too much green still on the ground, it was hell last weekend trying to hunt rabbits with the dogs here in western PA.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I mainly sit and listen, then stalk, stop, listen, maybe sit again. I don't cover too much territory.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pretty much still hunt. I look for a hardwood patch with alot of nuts around on the ground. Find a nice tree and lean back. I somtimes make the use of ground blinds.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
I've tried still hunting and sitting, and for me sitting is far superior-it's much easier to wait out a squirrel than sneak up on one. I come home with more game this way.

Incidentally, the traditional, correct definition of "still hunting" is very, very slow movement-you try to spot game before it spots you. It takes a lot of skill and patience. If you cover over 300 yards in an hour you're moving too fast.

It's pretty straightforward to sit-find a den tree-a large, mature tree old enough to have cavities for nests, sit down withing 20-30 yards, and wait.

They'll be out shortly. If no activity results after about 15-20 minutes, move on to the next promising spot. They may hide in smaller trees if they hide quickly, but you need the den trees as a home base for the squirrels. They may venture a ways from them but they won't get away from them too far.

Make sure you sit down in a comfortable position with a tree at your back, and your long cross sticks in front. Then, shoot straight. My best record for the most number of squirrels without moving from one spot is five. Don't pick up the squirrel right away after you shoot it-others are likely to come out within range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I mostly sit and wait for them. I was in the woods at the crack of dawn this morning. I saw alot of them but only got one shot and one squirrel. I am going to head back out this afternoon and see if I can shoot a couple more. I am keeping track of how many squirrels and how many shots I shoot to get them this year. So far I have killed 4 with 6 shots.

snakeman

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice going! I got out for a few hours yesterday and got two fox squirrels. Im so happy its that time of year again! By the way, does anyone remember that video of how to clean the buggers. I wanted to show it to a freind of mine, but i never saved it. If somone could repost, i would really apreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts