Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sort of buried treasure story I guess. I own a farm. My mother has the family farm about three miles away. I run cattle on both places.
We moved to the farm where my mom lives now when I was a boy. That was 1967. For a few years after we moved to the farm, an old bachelor farmer that lived over the hill to the north of our place would come over and hire out to help my dad around the farm. The old man bushogged, built fence, just whatever we needed help doing .. he was a nice old guy. Just an old hillbilly I suppose you could say. He liked to fish and hunt. He had cattle on his farm and lived a simple very basic and quiet back country life. He was probably in age, about mid 60's to maybe 70 when I knew him, so he was born somewhere close to 1900.
One odd belief he had was that there was treasure buried somewhere on our farm. His story was that back when he was a young boy an old bachelor farmer had lived on our place. For reasons never explained to me, he thought that the old bachlor farmer man had buried a bunch of money on our place. Apparently the old bachelor farmer had been involved in a horrific accident with a muzzleloader when he was a young man resulting in most of his jaw being shot off. That would have had to occur way back in the mid 1800's if he was an old man when my neighbor man was a boy in the early 1900's. (Apparently all the little kids in the neighborhood of that time frame were terrified of the poor old man because of his terrible wound)
For whatever reason, be it something he had seen or been told, my old neighbor man was convinced there was treasure somewhere on the place. He spent many an afternoon wandering over the farm digging holes at spots he thought might be where the money was hid. My father just let him do as he pleased because I think he did not believe the tale.On some occasions another old neighbor man would go with him and they both dug. Three or four years after we moved there the old man died without ever finding his treasure.
So you have to wonder...was there a buried treasure?... or was he just a day dreaming old hillbilly... beats me..
Some times I wish I had asked him about why he thought there was something there. Oh well......

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
old farmers surely do bury their loot out back. I know that is the way my family was and our neighbors, there was such a tale about an abandoned farm house not far from where I was born and people dug holes around that property for decades until it was developed as a sub division and any loot that would have been there was bulldozed if it was not found earlier by someone smart enough not to say anything about it. I also have a friend that inherited his family estate and found coffee cans full of gold coins--a bunch of em, double eagles most of em, after his mother passed about 1990 or so. after the depression people that went through it had no trust or use for banks.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
When i was a kid there was a older man who wore overalls and wore a floppy straw hat that sold produce on the town square out of a old pickup with side frames on it. He was in the same spot for years and years every day except Sunday. He had a wife named Myrtle who was quite a bit younger than him and he would buy her a ice cream bar every day and that is about all he ever bought her she was homely and wore the same dress every day but everyone in the small town bought produce from him. He carried a german luger in his overall pocket and everyone knew it. I never saw it but several people told me that he always had 10,000 dollars on him at all times. His name was Harry and he lived in a small house with kerosene lamps since he had no electricity. The rumor that everyone told was that he had money buried all over his one acre of land. When Harry died I was uptown and saw his wife Myrtle come out of a store and almost did not recognize her she had on a new dress, hair fixed up and makeup on her face. i guess she was spending some of Harry's money. After Harry's death people said that Harry loved to gamble unbeknown to us and they said that he would drive to Houston and go to the Waldorf Astoria hotel in his overalls and straw hat and tell the desk clerk to call up to a room and the reply would be "Send him right up". Evndently he was playing high stakes poker. His old house is still there all rundown and every time I go to visit my sister in my home town I pass right by his place and ofter wonder about the buried money but I imagine Myrtle had a pretty big shovel and got there first when Harry died. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts