Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my latest treasure. Nope, not a gun, but a bit of Marlin memorabelia. This is the original brass die used in Marlin catalogs from the late 1800's, to print the picture of the model 1893 Marlin. Still mounted on it's hardwood block, with "Marlin Model 1893" hand written in pencil on the side of the wood.
Wonder how many of these survived the trash heap?

·
Banned
461 Posts
Nice find! I used to use those things in a coupe of print shops I worked for. They usually were tossed when the advertising was done. Some were stripped of the brass and reused. I've got a few from where I worked, but nothing like that. That IS a great find.. I've watched for those since I've been collecting Marlins and have yet to find any. Way to go! :D

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Vall,
You and my Brother-in-Law must be related somehow.

I think that both of you could touch a bucket of horse manure and it would turn to gold (at least that is what I have been accusing him of for the past 35 years or so).

He always finds "deals and steals" as I call it and he always finds a way to make serious money on things when he sells them too. These items may not be collectors items such as we see here but he has collected lots of gold, jewelry, diamonds, firearms, etc over the years. He regularly visits auctions and has made a good living buying and re-selling over the years. (Cash money talks loud in most of his transactions).

You above photo shows that you have found another excellent addition to your collection. Thanks for sharing this with us.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That has to merit the 'Most unusual Marlin Item' first prize! And another piece of Marlin history is preserved!! Ya done good!! :D SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
alright!

now you can customize your letterheads!
i think the marlin magnet needs a rest after this one!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys! Of course I knew I was very lucky to make this find, but the guy who had it was not totally in the dark either. He isn't a Marlin guy, but he knew enough about guns to know I'd want it. It wasn't free, but I think I did well anyway.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just curious... Vall, are ya gonna run it through a stamp pad and see how it prints? If ya do, I'd be interested in the results...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
And on that note - Wonder if there might be some "custom Marlin" stationary in the works????????? Hmmmmmm

Shum8

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've looked at the picture in my old Marlin catalogs to see what it looks like. The stocks actually print fairly dark, with the word "MARLIN" on the buttstock in white. I'm putting it into a shadow box, with a reprint of the 1893 page for our display show this weekend. After the show I'll remove it, find a large enough ink pad, and try some printing.
If it all works, I may make up one letterhead, and then worked over on the computer and print some out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
mm'93, that stuff just flies over to you and sticks don't it? What a neat find, and amazing it survived the WW II scrap drives and didn't get mashed in a printing press accident either. I haven't messed with that stuff since high school, graduated from Print Shop at the Vocational school I went to......Buck 8) :roll: :wink: :shock:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess someone is looking out for me! My wife doesn't think all this stuff is such a lucky find! :shock:

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Vall,
Tell your wife that your "luckiest" find was obviously when you found her.

Maybe she doesn't always remember that you are a very conscientious and intelligent husband. Sometimes, you have to keep reminding them of your best attributes. Just DON'T tell her about that Marlin magnet of yours that must weigh about 3 tons by now.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eagle eye,
She knows me too well after over 25 years, so I'm not sure I could tell her all that with a straight face! She might start laughing before I do!! :shock: :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts