Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out today that I will be traveling to the island of Sardinia Italy for work in April. I'll also be taking my wife so we can vacation after a week of work. My dilemma is where on the mainland would be a great place to visit and that might be close to a firearms manufacturing facility. I would dearly love to tour a fine doubles shotgun factory.

I know that there must be hundreds of you that have traveled to Italy that might know something about what I'm looking for.

I'll take all recommendations and try to plan this opportunity out to its fullest. What I'm looking for is fun, not fancy.

Thank you,

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Scott-----

Beretta is in Brescia----------that would be a must----don't know about others. If they would let you in with the engravers it would be a slice of heaven--------at least for me.

Steve

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I married a nice Italian lady ... I lived in Italy for years, thus, my username. Because my wife still works for an Italian company here, near where we live, we're over there a couple two or three times a year.

It just depends on how long you are going to be there and where you are going to be staying.

I've been to the Beretta campus a couple of times - it's up north not far from where I lived.

Honestly, if you have time, after a week of work ... from where you are going to be I would concentrate on the Amalfi Coast all the way to Capri. Then I would hit Salerno and from there go by Mt Vesuvius ... but don't stop in Naples.

Depending upon how much time you have hit Florence first and then back down to Rome. Now, that is what I would do with my wife if it were my first time over.

If you insist on seeing their gun plants ... then Brescia, up in the Gardone Valley, is the only one worth seeing imho. I mean at least if your time is limited that would be the one I would focus on.

If it were me, I would head straight to Milano once I got off the ferry in Napoli. Catch a train up there, high speed if it were me, and first see the Beretta museum in Milano. While there ask them for the best way to get to the plant - they'll be very helpful and it will be easier than me trying to explain it to you.

As far as the train from Napoli to Milano, use this link and if you need any help translating let me know. http://www.fsitaliane.it/

I
f you are lucky you'll be there during the EXA exhibition in Brescia. If you are lucky enough for that, then you'll get to see everything you could possibly ever want to see about European firearms, but especially Italian arms, all in one place and Brescia is a beautiful place. If you are going to be there 14-17 April, then consider yourself one of the luckiest people around here because you timed it just right. Let me help you with that ... EXA

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Okay, so I hit the send button before letting my wife proof read my opinion ... and, as you know, the International rule of women is that we men don't know jack when it comes to directions, we are always wrong - or so I was just reminded.

So here we go. Straight from her lips she says, "you should take the ferry from Sardinia to Bonofacio and then the train, or rent a car, up to Bastia. Then, from there take the next ferry to Piombino. From there catch the train up through Pisa then to Parma then Brescia. I agree with her about that last part of the leg after hitting Pisa although, again, if it were me I would rent a car and drive from Leghorn, but she grew up on those dang trains so I differ to her on that. And by going straight to Parma up #33 you'll be in Brescia in no time and the highway is good along that route. I lived in Vicenza and Verona, but you'll hit Brescia before you get to either of those.

Now, my wife says, if you go that way and forget about Milano, Florence, Roma ... then once you leave Brescia you'll be within striking distance of Venice and she is right. It's up to you but the ladies do love Venice. It was like our weekend getaway place because we were only thirty minutes away by train so we went probably fifty times or more over the years. But to someone who has never been before, Venice may be where you would want to take your wife after she has spent several days looking at gun stuff with you in Brescia.

::::::::::::: pause for the proof read ::::::::::::

My wife approves of this edit and I am now about to post with her permission.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Wouldn't it be cool if you found a 'arlin over there and brought it back home? What's customs regulations?

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just found out today that I will be traveling to the island of Sardinia Italy for work in April. I'll also be taking my wife so we can vacation after a week of work. My dilemma is where on the mainland would be a great place to visit and that might be close to a firearms manufacturing facility. I would dearly love to tour a fine doubles shotgun factory.

I know that there must be hundreds of you that have traveled to Italy that might know something about what I'm looking for.

I'll take all recommendations and try to plan this opportunity out to its fullest. What I'm looking for is fun, not fancy.

Thank you,

1895gunner

Chiappa replica arms is over there in some part of italy ,they make some nice guns

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gallo, thank you and your wife for the info - appreciate the time you spent responding! I should have known somebody on this forum would be from the area...... All others, thank you - good stuff. I posted and then went off to look at flights, etc. Come back to find all of this great info, love this place.

Just booking the work week now and will then plan another 4 days of fun.

Thanks again,

1895gunner

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Brescia Italy is the place to go. I think the province is Gardone? Its in the north.

There you will find Zoli, Guerini, Beretta, Bernardelli, Rizzini, Renato, Zanardi, Fausti, Famars, Perazzi, Pietta, Franchi, Chiappa, Tangfolio....

I'm sure there are others as well. This is a trip my wife and I have talked about taking but just haven't made time for it.

Good luck.

M

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I've got a 12ga sxs muzzleloader that I've had for years that was made by Pedersoli. Uberti also makes some nice levers as well.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Hey Scott
Do you need someone along to help carry all your guns and ammo :questionmark: I may be available that week, i could check my busy schedule :driver:....

What'ya know im available, let me know if you need company, Er' i mean help.... :biggrin:

You folks Enjoy your trip, and DONT Forget the pics.....

BG4570

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Gallo, thank you and your wife for the info - appreciate the time you spent responding! I should have known somebody on this forum would be from the area...... All others, thank you - good stuff. I posted and then went off to look at flights, etc. Come back to find all of this great info, love this place.

Just booking the work week now and will then plan another 4 days of fun.

Thanks again,

1895gunner
You're welcome. Your post promoted me to contact a couple of buddies tonight - one living in Rome and one in Tampa. As I figured, both of them are going to be at EXA next month. I hope you have the opportunity.

Also, if you have not done so already or you are not used to traveling ... a couple of things you need to do right now, don't wait.

1 - Get your International Drivers Permit immediately. It is easy to obtain, plenty of web sites that will help you ... but do it now, don't wait.
2 - Be sure your phone is set-up for International travel/calls before you go ... and give yourself a few days to try it out, it'll probably involve simply putting an international chip in your phone. But test it as soon as you get off the plane at Leonardo Da Vinci, unless you are flying straight in from France to Cagliari-Elmas, which you may be as we've gone that way once or twice over the years when we wanted to do Paris first or had to go by her offices in Riom. It is not an uncommon way to go.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the most exicting "travel" i get to do for work is down 2 floors for a "lunch and learn" where they order crappy pizza and make us listen to some upper management jerk off stroke his ego for 2 hours

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
the most exicting "travel" i get to do for work is down 2 floors for a "lunch and learn" where they order crappy pizza and make us listen to some upper management jerk off stroke his ego for 2 hours
Yep, I don't travel much anymore so this is purty cool. Especially for the wife. We have done Scotland, England and Paris while on business travel years ago but since 9-11 I decided I didn't really need to travel any longer.:vollkommenauf:

Other than flying to Mexico and the west coast I just say no most of the time.

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
10,623 Posts
I don't know how it goes with European arms manufacturers, but if it's anything like European auto manufacturers I'd suggest you call/email any companies you may want to visit now to see if you can line up a tour. Some of the Euro auto manufacturers require people to schedule a tour something like 6 months in advance...

·
Premium Member
9,039 Posts
Sardinia is a fun place to visit, was there once for a NATO exercise, and the second time to meet the family of an acquaintance. Lots of seafood, good food,and hospitality. Almost all of the dairy products that was my experience were goat, but then, I find it agreeable.

Gallo has given you a terrific description! I wasn't aware that the ferry put in at Bonoficio. Probably because I got on/off at Civitavechia, but no matter. Have fun!

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Sardinia is a fun place to visit, was there once for a NATO exercise, and the second time to meet the family of an acquaintance. Lots of seafood, good food,and hospitality. Almost all of the dairy products that was my experience were goat, but then, I find it agreeable.

Gallo has given you a terrific description! I wasn't aware that the ferry put in at Bonoficio. Probably because I got on/off at Civitavechia, but no matter. Have fun!
Civitavechia ... one of my favorite little cities in the world Pat/Rick. There is this old pipe maker place right there on the shore, I've got a picture of my Dad buying a pipe there when he was over visiting with us years ago. Specialized in Meerschaum pipes - the shop had been there since the mid 1700s and the same family was still making the pipes. The great grandfather was there at the time, (I'm sure he is probably passed away by now) with his Grandson. Dad had them make several pipes for him actually.

But yeah, Civitavechia ... literally, "The Old City," is one of the greatest little ports in the world and an easy drive over from Roma.

I gotta go try to find that picture and post it - I have not seen that picture in years.

I wasn't aware of the new docks in Bonofacio either btw ... I am blaming that totally on my wife. I should have known about it though because she reminded me that we almost took it once out of Livorno when we were down there on vacation after I had jumped into Pisa as part of an air show there. Evidently it has been around for a long long time and it is one of the nicer ferry rides ... Bonofacio of course is in Corsica, more French than Italian but easy to skip between the two islands.

Matter of fact, I am reminded of a conversation I had later yesterday with a friend in Rome again ... he says to take the ferry straight from Sardinia over to Bonofacio and then over to Livorno - then catch the train to Brescia. He's supposed to be emailing me the link to book the ferry in advance so it doesn't cost much ... about $45.00 U.S. one way each leg. Takes about an hr to get from Sardinia to Bonofacio that way and then another 45 mins over to Livorno. From there it is a two hour ride through Pisa and up to Brescia via 33.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I spent a few months at La Maddelena on the northern coast of Sardinia courtesy of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. Had a pretty good time there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts