Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok boys just saw at the lgs a Springfield Trap Door 45/70, fair condition I guess for an old gun
asking price $950. High /low /about right. I know nothing about this thing...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Try Trapdoorcollector.com
Sight is run by Al Frasca. He literally wrote the book on Trapdoors. Check out the classified there. His guns are more "correct" than most, but if you want a shooter, don't worry about stock markings and correct triggers. Due to the age and usage, these guns are rarely in correct configuration. You can always spend the time and money to acquire the correct parts (been there, done that) but it doesn't make them shoot any better. Also, he has a section describing the various Models and configurations, i.e. 1873 vs 1879 vs 1884.
I have a couple original carbines (circa 1880 and 1886) and a 1879 rifle so feel free to send me a PM.
A lot of fun, but they do best with an over-sized, real soft, lead bullet. I am not a purist so I only shoot smokeless loads. The gun is not a problem, but I hate cleaning the cases after blackpowder loads.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Bill, do you have a 'standard' pet load that you are comfortable with, whether it be for hunting or target's ?

I'm still trying to decide if I'd want an origional TD rifle or a rolling block (modern). Both have an appeal to me, the TD because of it's history, the roller because of it's simplicity. A decision that's been going on for a long while (rats! LOL).

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMHO, get one with a Buffington sight.

Reactions: 1022

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I agree with 599 on the sight, I have owned 6 trap doors and they all had the 1879 buckhorn style. The 1879 are impossible to hunt or target shoot with as they make it impossible to see the target. The Buffington sight is far superior and the last to be used. eh

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I have both the Buffington and the 1873/1877/1879 style sight. I prefer the buckhorn for hunting although the Buffington is much more precise.
I use a Lee 405 hollow base, cast 20-1 or softer, sized to .462, over 25 grains of SR4759. This duplicates blackpowder ballistics of +/- 1350 fps from the 32" rifle barrel.
This load is real soft on recoil even in the carbines. Trajectory is not very flat. Regardless, you are going to find that the gun shoots high. Usually about 9" high at 100 yards. They are "battle sighted" for 165 yards. The carbines allowed for a replacement front sight blade of greater height that can be filed to allow point of aim impact with your load.
They followed the lead of Civil War muskets and were "buckle shooters". Point of hold was a man's belt buckle- you still hit him somewhere from point blank out to over 300 yards.
Place a call to the guys at Buffalo Arms for all your reloading needs, including good soft cast, oversized, bullets.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Bad news... you can get an original Rollingblock too. Good deals can be had in Rolling Blocks in 43 Spanish, which is real close to the 45-70. I had two of them in 50-70 but prefer the Trapdoors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts