·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were developed in 1954.
What year did you get your first transistor radio?,
How many transistor did it have?
I remember having a 7 transistor radio, then getting a13
Transistor radio, and I thought I was hot stuff with that.
Billions of transistor radios were built in the 60's and 70's.
I remember listening to my 7 transistor radio in the back of my dad's bran new 59 Studebaker Lark station wagon.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,920 Posts
Got a 7 transistor radio in 1964. Seems like it cost a little over $3. Here in Florida, with the antennae fully extended, and pointed in the right direction I could pick up WABC in NYC late at night. I was cool! Beatles, Beach Boys... I recall those wimpy 9 volt batteries wore out quickly and strained my allowance. AC

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Probably got one around 1960, six transistors, little black and white plastic case, volumne and tuning dials on opposite sides on the same end as the telescoping antenna. 9 volt battery. Listened to several World series on that radio. I think WPTR was the popular channel at the time.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yep, the last present for me under the tree, from "santa", was a transistor radio,my Grandma kept it, and gave it back to me before she died, still have it, mine was a deluxe, with the black leather carrying case!!! Tks for the memories. T Rex

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
I( got one for Christmas somewhere around '58 or '59. It was a kit I had to put together myself. I don't remember how long I had it or what happened ti it.

With several brothers, It probably got destroyed during one of our brotherly brawls. :laugh:

Gr8rtst.

·
Premium Member
14,284 Posts
I received one somewhere @ 6 or 7 yrs of age. I was at my Grandmother's house when my Father brought it to me when he came home rom his required US Navy cruise.

Isn't it funny how one can remember things like that for 60+ yrs.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I don't actually remember having one all my own, always had to share with my older brother (sucked more for him I guess) , however when I was in HS a friend of mine took his little brother’s “Space 1999” transistor radio/alarm clock and together we turned it into a pre-amp for my guitar -ran it through my brothers PA system and shook the whole house like crazy! I was kinda hooked on electronics at that point and went to school for it in the Marines..... fast forward about 36 years and I get laid off from my Network Architect position and was out of work for approx. 8 months (I refused to accept positions offered me that would have me move from eastern NC to N. VA) ..... I finally got my current job as a service technician (at a salary I used to make when I was 23-24 yrs old) based largely upon the fact that I went to Basic Electronics School in the military.... back in 1981!

so -that little transistor radio not only started me on a career path that lasted almost 40 years, it STILL helped me get a job that saved my house aftr that!

I got nothing but Love for them old transistor radios! Thanks for the memories!

·
Super Moderator
23,778 Posts
Saved my allowance and got a silver and black hand held RCA transistor radio in 1967. I remember listening to the World Series during playground grade school recess breaks. I don't remember how many transistors were in that small box--LOL!

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
I recall having one, it was an ugly green one about 1974. I was driving a small stake bed truck for a heating A/C company and that kept me informed.........that is until I forgot it on the dash one summer scorching day, looked like a blob, thing still worked though! Prior to that somewhere in the early 60s, had one when I was about 11-12, picking up WLS out of Chicago was big time for a kid in southeast Wisconsin!

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
Instead of doing homework when I went up to my room and I would listen to the Boston Celtics on my transistor radio at night. I could pick up the boston local radio at night in Richmond Va. I also remember having some sort of "kit" radio based on a crystal. you could move a pin around the crystal nad pick up different stations. Wow very faint memories of that so not sure what that was. i still have a transistor radio in the garage somewhere..............

I guess looking back on it I wish I had studied, might have been smarter today......................

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
My best bud and I got a couple when they first hit the market We went downtown and bought them with chore money. I must have been 8 or 9,so it was before 1960. I had a crystal radio in elementary school,the one that you clamped to a large pipe driven into the ground. No battery needed,it got its energy from the AM radio wave. Got rock n roll in the late 50's; Chuck Berry,Little Richard,Bill Haley and the Comets,Buddy Holly,Jerry Lee Lewis,and Brenda Lee.

In Japan,where the first transistor radios were made,they were called 'tanshetora'.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Transistor radio is still a good thing to keep in your emergency kit and Get Home Bag to receive news and weather reports. Many available today run on common AA batteries which are available everywhere and you can keep a small flashlight using the same batteries in your kit.

The simple Radio Shack model above is fully adequate for this purpose, and can often be found used at yard sales, etc. for under $10!
For new pocket radios there are the Sony ICF-P26 https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICFP26-Portable-Radio-Black/dp/B012F0DGYE
or Phillips AE1500 https://www.amazon.com/Philips-AE1500-Pocket-Portable-Radio/dp/B00J3OA1MQ either for under $20,
or you can spend the big bucks and get a CountyCom GP5-SSB which has AM/FM/Shortwave/USB/LSB etc. for $89.95

gp5ssb7_grande.jpg
https://countycomm.com/collections/radio/products/countycomm-gp-5-ssb-general-purpose-radio

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
How many of you geezers remember Wolfman Jack,KAAY Little Rock,WBZ Boston,KDKA Pittsburg,Cousin Brucie,WABC,WIBG with Joe Naiagara and Hy Lit,the Geator With The Heater,and Powerline?

At night when the airwaves were clear because the lower powered stations went off the air,you could get a lot of rock,coast to coast from thousands of miles away. My parents hated rock,they thought Satan invented 'that noise',and gave it to the Communists to subvert American Youth. Compared to my Dad,John Birch was a wild-eyed leftist.

Rob

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
First transistor radio was acquired with Green Stamps as a gift for my Father for Christmas...Ugly salmon color, but I was proud to give it to him.

On a commercial flight from LA to Atlanta in the 60's, while on leave, I met Mr. and Mrs. Smith, AKA Wolfman and Wolfwoman. I related to them how much I enjoyed hearing his voice on my first trip back to the World and knew I would be home soon. I was returning from my first WESTPAC Cruise and picked him up a couple of days at sea from San Diego. They both seemed to appreciate my story and after a visit wished me well. They seemed to be as interested in me as I was to meet them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts