Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the lower end trailcams from Moultrie or Primos? I'm looking at the 80-90$ ones. I don't have a lot of money to spend. (especially since it has a good chance of getting stolen) I wanted to know how your experience was as far as dependability .

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have Moultries and they've been good. If you get one get the ones that run on AA batteries, they last a lot longer and are cheaper to buy batteries for.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
I have 3 Bushnell HD cameras that have been super.They use AA batteries and seem to last forever, I think I gave around $100. each for them and they take pictures at night with infrared so there is no flash.Also take videos...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I don't have either one of them but I do have 3 of the Wildgame Innovation cameras!!!I paid $50 a piece for them a couple of years ago and they are still going strong take good day and night pictures!!! Take a look at them and see what you think!!! I forgot what mine are called but they are IR and 4 megapixel!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
i have an old moultrie that takes 6 d batteries and the batteries last all winter, the display went bad and they had repacement displays for under 15 dollars that are easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Primos have preformed excellent
check out pics in the mountain west hunting forum from utahtrapper

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I put mine out last year and two days later I pulled the chip and had several pics of deer on it but I had 150 pics of a flash. A bushy branch got in front of the lens and every time the wind blew the flash would go off. I'll know next time.Ha

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a Moultrie M-100xt. It works great and was about $130. I know that's a bit more then you budgeted.

As a bit of advice, I didn't buy a security box and cable with it originally, but when I retrieved it for the first time after three weeks hanging the last photo on it, an hour before I got there, was of a bear's face close up and he'd broken the a plastic slot off the camera housing on the back of the camera. Lucky for me he just pulled on it a bit with his paw rather than crunching it with his jaws. Thereafter, I bought a metal box and python cable to protect my investment a bit, at least from curious four legged visitors.

I like my Moultrie.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've had the primos truth 35 (@70.00 at Walmart) for several years, 2 of them, they are the older model that uses 4 D batteries

picture quality is good for what they are,(day and night)------battery life has been very good set on triplicate pics, have not used video yet
sensitvity is good, bluejays to bear

I like the triple pic feature, sometimes little things set off the camera and on the first pic your not sure what set it off, then you play pic #2 and #3 and you'll see a little bird or squirrel show up on film that set it off

I would buy another one------However, I did get a couple of bad ones that I took right back to walmart for an immediate exchange instead of mailing back to primos.
reading the reviews on cabalas, almost all brands I read about had a lot of bad ones

because of the return policy I would only buy at cabalas or w-mart, and would not send back manufacturer----to much turn around time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys. After reading these I'm confident that the less expensive models will be ok. I had received a gift card for Walmart, so I settled on a Bushnell 6mp. It looked like the best bang for the buck I had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.