Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I can't say it any better than the manufacturer:

"Trail Boss was designed specifically for low velocity lead bullets suitable for Cowboy Action shooting. It is primarily a pistol powder but has some application in rifles. It is based on a whole new technology that allows very high loading density, good flow through powder measures, stability in severe temperature variation, and, most importantly, additional safety to the handloader."

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
In my 30-30 plinking loads.. under Missouri Bullet Co. 135 GN LFN... good n accurate at 25 yards.. my latest avatar is four shots at 25 yards (#5 was a pulled shot)... taking it to the 50 yard lanes tomorrow to see how it measures up...

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
709 Posts
Everything I have...38's,357,44 spec/mag, 32 long, 30-30, and 45-70. I also load with Unique and Clays when I can get any powder at all...

·
Super Moderator
5,371 Posts
The first time I shot reduced power Trail Boss loads in .44 mag, I fell in love with that powder. Knowing how universal it is, as well as forgiving on load density, I can't help but buy another can when I see it on a shelf. I don't use a lot, but know I can darned near load it by eyeball (well, at the most a Lee Dipper) in a straight walled pistol case and be totally safe.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It's the preferred powder of sheriffs and outlaws.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
45 colt, 38-55, 45-70, 38's, 30-30 and any big cases. It's for a plinking load and fills up a case so you won't double charge a case. To show my point let's look at a keg, normally 8 pounds of powder. But with TrailBoss it's 5 pounds of powder.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
What kind of load could you do in a 444 or 45/70 and could you do it with out a filler????

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Everything I have...38's,357,44 spec/mag, 32 long, 30-30, and 45-70. I also load with Unique and Clays when I can get any powder at all...
Really Clays?
I have 8 lbs but only thought of it as my Trap sporting clays powder.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I only load my Ruger .45 Colts with Trail Boss and a Berry 250 gr. copper plated lead flat point bullet. Am not interested in pushing the velocity envelope and it does not take much to kill a piece of paper at 25 yards.

The powder's best feature: it is impossible to double charge the .45 Colt case with it as a double charge will overfill the case.

Keep telling myself that I should try some Trail Boss in .38 Spec'l. wad cutters.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
One of the guys I shoot with has his best results with 10 or 13 grains , can't remember but I think he said 10. I'm going to load some up later for mine with it come morning. A case will hold 19 grains without compressing the powder but you don't want to do that. I shot his gun last year at 300 yards and it hit exactly where I was aiming. He won the 300 yard category with 9/10 hits.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Really Clays?
I have 8 lbs but only thought of it as my Trap sporting clays powder.
Oh yes! Powders that you wouldn't normally think to use in pistol or rifle loads are a CAS's wet dream. Guys use Clays, Titegroup, Bullseye, TrailBoss and the list goes on. Unique was great in my old pistols and then I got a new set and they are picky. I'm trying some new loads now for them and I'm about to try Accurate #2 and see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picked up 5lbs today, along with 3lbs H380 (243win loves it) see what I can get with the 44mag N 45~70 with the TB powder!!?

5000 primers of different sizes. It was a good shopping day!!!!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's darn good for the pistol calib. guns used in CAS---that's pretty much what it was developed for------use to be a thing going around-(never seen it happen) that too small of amount of powder--leaving lots of space in brass could cause oscilation of gases & cause explosion in gun!---even light loads fill case pretty good!-Also it's darn near impossible to not tell when ya double charged powder--Mess on ya table-----I tried it some in my 38-55---velocity was so low ya could still hit dingers @ 200 yds but ya had to turn volume way upon ya hearing aid to hear any ding!! Price of it looks to be darn high---but in SASS loads & such it takes up so much brass space that it evens out---which also eliminates any problem bout position sensitive (brass is full) Oh yeah 32 H&R mag--38 spec---357---44 mag--45 colt done good for me!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What do you use TrailBoss in?
.223/9gr/Sierra 40gr HP & 45gr Hornady Bee - Noise and velocity like a .22 Magnum, very accurate
.243/12gr/60gr Sierra HP & 70gr Hornady SPSX - Low noise groundhog load out to 100yds.
7-08/12gr/120gr Sierra SP
.280/16gr/120gr Sierra SP
.30-30/8gr/110gr FPHP and 150gr Magnus FP
.35 Remington/9gr/180gr Midway Blem
.35 Whelen/18gr/180gr Midway Blem @ 1900fp
Fire forming cases.

In a handgun I have other powders that work as well and don't smell so bad indoors.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It's AWESOME in the 1873 45 Colt!, not so good in the 1894? doesn't provide enough pressure for the shell to seal the chamber!, but that's with 200grn boollits.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
It's AWESOME in the 1873 45 Colt!, not so good in the 1894? doesn't provide enough pressure for the shell to seal the chamber!, but that's with 200grn boollits.
Both of my 1894's love it! 5.5 grains with a 200 and a firm crimp.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts