Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Bearcat,

Try Steel Valley Casting out pf PA. They have 45-70 coated 405s immediately available $60/250. They are not His, but I think they would expand with reasobale velocities (1150-1250). I have been using their 9mm 125s with good results. Just ordered 1000 more on Saturday.

Regards,

Kris

Thanks for the info, I’ll certainly look them up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is run over too many times in internet forums. To clarify , just about any firearm will produce better results than a bow and arrow- countless animals are taken every year with arrows . Black powder firearms are also used extensively, some with round balls. That works too. We're talking big stuff now, a bullet over 300 grains, moving at 1000 fps, yeah it'll kill anything you can place a decent hit on. So will a 22lr. Diameter isn't a substitute for shot placement . many game animals have fallen to far less than you propose . the only limiting factor is you

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Bearcat,

Try Steel Valley Casting out pf PA. They have 45-70 coated 405s immediately available $60/250. They are not His, but I think they would expand with reasobale velocities (1150-1250). I have been using their 9mm 125s with good results. Just ordered 1000 more on Saturday.

Regards,

Kris

I received my order of 1000 245gr coated SWC’s from steel valley last week. I loaded up 20 to run through my S&W 69 over 7.5grs of 700x. From 25yds I had very good accuracy and zero leading, looks like I’ll be ordering more.

Thanks for the tip about them

·
Registered
414 Posts
jd,

I want to make sure I support the cast bullet enabler team. If you think you like pistol powder for rifle cartridges, you should try a few shotgun powders. All of these are dual purpose for shotgun and pistol. They also work extremely well in hyphenated rifle cartridges. Unique, Herco, and Blue-Dot or IMR Blue. My personal favorite of the three is Herco. It has more bulk per grain. Shotgun powders are designed to burn completely at lower pressures and are bulky taking up more space per grain of weight. Just the thing for reduced loads with cast bullets. Oh, and easy to ignite as well.

Here are a few Herco use examples. 357 rifle, 215gr plain base bullet, 5.0 gr, 1,050 fps. Same 5.0 gr for 155gr, 190 gr, and 205 gr plain base bullets with standard small pistol primers. The 155 gr is moving at 22 lr high velocity, 1,200 fps. The others are all subsonic. Also very accurate loads. For 30 carbine T/C pistol 4.8-5.0 gr for 135gr and 170 gr. For the 30-30 Unique and Herco both work well for me in the 8-10 gr range base on bullet weight. A Berry's 110 gr 30 carbine plated bullet in the 30-30 with 10 gr of Unique runs at 1,750 from my 26" barrel. If I want more velocity, IMR-Blue has also performed well.

I use Herco enough to purchase in the 8# bottle. Over 90% of my shooting is with cast bullets.
Hi. I just revisited this thread and was wondering if anyone knows if loads for these examples are in any of the reloading manuals?
If I or anyone else already asked or answered this, please forgive me. My memory...

Thank you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You the man! Just found some data for the 450M, including AA2, which I would've never guessed. This puts me in Heaven.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
Hi. I just revisited this thread and was wondering if anyone knows if loads for these examples are in any of the reloading manuals?
If I or anyone else already asked or answered this, please forgive me. My memory...

Thank you.
Sevastopol,

Look in the "Reduced Velocity Study" link in the attached post. Same site as above. You will find most with reference load data under 45-70 to the bottom left of the page. Click on the cartridge to open the study findings. They even provide average 10 shot group size at 50 for each load and bullet weight to help dial you in quicker. There are also many other manuals for future reference as well.

load-data-and-references.628262

Reactions: Sevastopol

·
Registered
89 Posts
I received my order of 1000 245gr coated SWC’s from steel valley last week. I loaded up 20 to run through my S&W 69 over 7.5grs of 700x. From 25yds I had very good accuracy and zero leading, looks like I’ll be ordering more.

Thanks for the tip about them
Bearcat.

I am glad to have helped. I ordered another 1000 9mm 125 gr Truncated Cone and it only took 10 days to receive them. I loaded 300 to use in my new Colt 1911 today using the OAL in the Favorite Load Data from SVC. I can't wait for next week.

Regards,

Kris

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sevastopol,

Look in the "Reduced Velocity Study" link in the attached post. Same site as above. You will find most with reference load data under 45-70 to the bottom left of the page. Click on the cartridge to open the study findings. They even provide average 10 shot group size at 50 for each load and bullet weight to help dial you in quicker. There are also many other manuals for future reference as well.

load-data-and-references.628262
Thank you.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts