Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traded away a mint two year old S&W Mod 686+ 357 Mag and 150 bucks for a 1975 2.5 inch S&W Mod 66 (no dash) 357 Mag at the LGS today. Once all the paperwork was done and all the property/money changed hands--I went out back and proceeded to shoot the "new" Smith along with a 1968 2 inch S&W Mod 10 38 SPL. I tried a bunch of reloads and the "new" Mod 66 seemed to like my +P 158 gr hardcast/CFE Pistol loads the best. I will have to experiment a little more with the Mod 66 to fine tune that loading so it shoots closer to POA. It was a great way to enjoy the day before the oncoming rain hits us (again).

Revolver Gun Firearm Starting pistol Trigger
Revolver Gun Trigger
Shooting sport Target archery Recreation Shooting Circle
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The 686+ had the dreaded key lock but shot pretty good. It was definitely expendable when it comes to an original Mod 66. I had one of the 2.5 inch models until selling it about 20 years ago. I regretted that ever since--but finally rectified that mistake.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of my nice S&W collection, I have one (below) K frame 2"... a pre model 10. The K frame 2" guns are sweet. Congratulations!
Love that old K frame. :adore:I don't know if my old Mod 1902 HE in 32-20 is officially considered a K frame--but its the oldest pre-Mod 10 that I have.
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Administrator
30,727 Posts
Jay, those mod 66's are a fav but are few and far between to come across. I consider them one of the very best and should I find one, it's coming home with me.

I'm about to do a bit of gun shuffling myself. Just none of my Marlins. LOL

Jack

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay, those mod 66's are a fav but are few and far between to come across. I consider them one of the very best and should I find one, it's coming home with me.

I'm about to do a bit of gun shuffling myself. Just none of my Marlins. LOL

Jack
I hear ya Jack. I don't have anymore Marlins that I want to trade away. But newer handguns for old timers--that is a no-brainer! LOL!

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 66 is a jem, but it's too bad you had to lose the 686+. If your interest is in shooting .357 magnum it was a bad move. If you prefer to usually shoot .38 special then you did good.
I have other pistols more suited to shoot full power 357 Mag loads--like my S&W Mod 28. I will never miss the 686+.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
You did good! I would never own any gun I had to use a key on or a marlin with the obnoxious button! Here is the cousin to your gun. my model 19 2in made in 78 wearing Tyler T grip and with a vintage strong pancake holster...
Revolver Gun Footwear Airsoft gun Handgun holster

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you did good! I would never own any gun I had to use a key on or a marlin with the obnoxious button! here is the cousin to your gun. my model 19 2in. made in 78 wearing Tyler T grip and with a vintage strong pancake holster,,,,,,,,,,,, View attachment 712314
Very nice Smith! I had one of those as well that I stupidly traded away for a S&W 9mm Mod 59--like I said stupid!

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would have made that trade without hesitation. I've been looking for exactly the same 66 you traded for. But as Jack pointed out, they are few and far between. One day! Congratulations!
Thanks and keep looking as the right Mod 66 will come around. I waited a very long time to find mine.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The only way I'd like this trio better is if the Marlin was stainless steel too.

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Air gun

Marlin 1894 C with 18.5" bbl. Smith & Wesson Model 66-2 with 2.5" bbl. Smith & Wesson Model 66-1 with 4" bbl. I am well heeled with this trio of .357 Magnums but I have convinced myself I NEED a larger framed .357 with a longer bbl. I used to have a Model 28 and when finances will allow it, I intend to have another one.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only way I'd like this trio better is if the Marlin was stainless steel too.

View attachment 712370
Marlin 1894 C with 18.5" bbl. Smith & Wesson Model 66-2 with 2.5" bbl. Smith & Wesson Model 66-1 with 4" bbl. I am well heeled with this trio of .357 Magnums but I have convinced myself I NEED a larger framed .357 with a longer bbl. I used to have a Model 28 and when finances will allow it, I intend to have another one.
I have been very lucky to have replaced both my Mod 66 and Mod 28 in the past two years. I will never sell them off again--they will be going to my son after I pass on.
Revolver Gun Trigger
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.