Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first ever Ruger revolver. I had an old Ithaca 16 gauge shotgun that I wasn’t shooting and a buddy had this super blackhawk he didn’t like, so we swapped even Steven.

4 5/8” barrel and man is it a real pussycat with factory mag loads. I know this is blasphemy, but I like shooting this one better than my brother’s model 29 Smith.

Now if I can just find some leather that won’t beak the bank it’ll go well with the 1978 1894 Marlin!
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Nice looking pistol.. gotta love those single actions!... if ya happen to roll your own, you can get it much more milder to shoot, an still do what ya want it to do.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
My son had a 71/2"? barrel Super in .44mag. We shot the poo outa that revolver!
It wasn't as accurate as my 29-3, but it was every bit as much fun to shoot! And I'm betting a lot stronger. I loaded .44 Spl. cases with 15 gr.of 2400 under a 200 gr. cast SWC, and it felt like a .38.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking pistol.. gotta love those single actions!... if ya happen to roll your own, you can get it much more milder to shoot, an still do what ya want it to do.
Good trade, but then again, ir's a Ruger single action and I'm a fan of just about any revolver having a caliber that begins with a four! :) You'll enjoy that revolver even more if you reload for it!

WYT-P
Skyhunter
I have never reloaded metallic before, been reloading shotgun shells since I was a kid thought. Until recently years I’ve never shot enough center fire anything to fool with it, but I’ve seen this day coming and over the last four years or so have been buying the equipment a little along. I need to get off my butt and pick up the last couple of things I need and go to it.

My thoughts were to use 44 mag cases to keep it simple and load some plinking rounds for fun and some hotter stuff for toting around/last cylinder plinking. I’ve been reading up on recipes and such. Now to just do it.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck on your part. I don't think they are easy to find at this time.
I looked around on gunbroker to just get the lay of the land when we were talking trade. There aren’t many out there, especially in the shorter barrels.

The other day I took it to a gun show, not really wanting to sell it, just sort of seeing what I’d get offered for it. I saw three or four on dealer’s tables in similar condition. The lowest priced one was $820 which I thought was high. So when the dealers asked me what I wanted for mine I said,”$800”. You’d have thought I had hit them with a pole axe. lol.

I got offered several trades, but nothing I couldn’t live without. One guy offered me $650 another $665. But I decided I liked the gun better, especially since it ain’t eating nothing unless I pull the trigger! Lol

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice gun and a good trade. Are you sure about the barrel length? It looks like the 5.5" version to me.
Well, I’ll have to measure it and see. I’m just going on what my buddy I traded with told me.

Which ever it is I really like the way it balances in my hand.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
This is my first ever Ruger revolver. I had an old Ithaca 16 gauge shotgun that I wasn’t shooting and a buddy had this super blackhawk he didn’t like, so we swapped even Steven.

4 5/8” barrel and man is it a real pussycat with factory mag loads. I know this is blasphemy, but I like shooting this one better than my brother’s model 29 Smith.

Now if I can just find some leather that won’t beak the bank it’ll go well with the 1978 1894 Marlin! View attachment 900054
www.wolfearsequipment.com for period correct holsters and cartridge belts.

Old Creek

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Premium Member
481 Posts
Good trade. They are fun shooters. I have a 3 screw mid 60's vintage 7½" Bbl. Pack it in an Alamo Leather holster from the same era.

· Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
Hey Colonel, that was a GREAT idea to start putting together a loading kit over time. What else do you need to start loading for the gun?? I also started reloading when I bought my first 44 magnum and began casting soon after. Never really saved any money but have shot a lot more over the years. You are going to enjoy loading for that SBH!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts