Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be a good idea to trade a real nice 2008 444 for a real nice 1968 444?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
What's your motivation? A bird in the hand.......

Reactions: NodnarB

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
I wouldn't--the 2008 model has Ballard rifling while the 1968 model probably has MG rifling.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine 444.jpg vs His
4441968.jpg

Reactions: erimort

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Do you like the raised comb straight stock? That's the only advantage I can imagine unless the scope comes with it and that's a factor. Like Ret Eng, I'd rather have the Ballard rifling if that is the case with your rifle. I'm a fan of straight stocks but not the raised comb style.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again done informed him I'd not trade . . thought there might be some collectability for the pre safety straight stock .444.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
There is more collectibility for that vintage, yes, thanks to no cross bolt safety and the fact that a 60s vintage puts it solidly in the JM Marlin category. A 2008 444 is something of a transition gun between a JM and a REP (Remington made gun) or at least a little too close to a Remlin that some Marlin fans would hesitate if they found one for sale.

The Monte Carlo stock makes it even rarer. Again, that may be of interest more to those of us who like to collect old or unusual Marlins. It would be a practical stock for scope shooting, however. As for looks, well ...

If your 444 is serving you well, though, I would't be in too much of a hurry to trade it off unless you have a thing for older Marlins the way so many of us do.

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
My 2008 444 Marlin is all JM--no complaints here. The coming changes within Marlin were not in effect in 2008. It wasn't until 2009 that some manufacturing practices were changed at the old CT plant before manufacturing was transitioned to NY during 2010. I have two different 2008 production year JMs and they are outstanding Marlins.

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you think you would like to own the older Marlin, I would advise trying to buy his and keep yours. The money will be missed only as long as it takes to recoop, but you will have the gun to use and enjoy for as long as you like. The money decreases in value, the rifle increases in value.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If you think you would like to own the older Marlin, I would advise trying to buy his and keep yours. The money will be missed only as long as it takes to recoop, but you will have the gun to use and enjoy for as long as you like. The money decreases in value, the rifle increases in value.
I like that! Mind if I use it on m husband? :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is one like "YOURS" on Gunbroker with 25 minutes left and it's at $1380. FOR SOME REASON?? I wouldn't trade till I found out why that model is worth so much.Sorry if doing this isn't allowed but I figured no one would believe me.

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
^^It sold at $1,430!:vollkommenauf:

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Let's see a newer run of the mill Marlin 444 with 1-20 twist Ballard rifling, built by assembly line worker VS a Marlin 444 that was built by Craftsman, with the finest Buttstock style Marlin ever produced, add in a 24" 1-38 Mico-Groove, honed chamber, narrow hammer, great trigger, barrel band forearm, with Handloading you will have the very best in accuracy and velocity, and you will own a quality piece of Marlins history!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Let's see a newer run of the mill Marlin 444 with 1-20 twist Ballard rifling, built by assembly line worker VS a Marlin 444 that was built by Craftsman, with the finest Buttstock style Marlin ever produced, add in a 24" 1-38 Mico-Groove, honed chamber, narrow hammer, great trigger, barrel band forearm, with Handloading you will have the very best in accuracy and velocity, and you will own a quality piece of Marlins history!
You almost got all of the bus stops in there. Somehow Reloader 7 didn't make it. When I first read the OP I was wondering if you'd get'em all in. :biggrin:

Reactions: Starrbow

·
Premium Member
11,160 Posts
There is more collectibility for that vintage, yes, thanks to no cross bolt safety and the fact that a 60s vintage puts it solidly in the JM Marlin category. A 2008 444 is something of a transition gun between a JM and a REP (Remington made gun) or at least a little too close to a Remlin that some Marlin fans would hesitate if they found one for sale.

The Monte Carlo stock makes it even rarer. Again, that may be of interest more to those of us who like to collect old or unusual Marlins. It would be a practical stock for scope shooting, however. As for looks, well ...

If your 444 is serving you well, though, I would't be in too much of a hurry to trade it off unless you have a thing for older Marlins the way so many of us do.

No, ...............Any 2008 Marlin is solidly a North Haven Marlin...............Remington didn't start to monkey with Mfg Processes until late Spring of 2009.......The 2008 is Ballard cut rifling, if that matters to the owner

Re: The trade............:hmmmm:

I'd sooner have the 2008 gun..........I just think its a prettier rifle.............All 444's are now quite collectible, due to the fact they are not in production anymore............Yes, I know they are said to be listed in the latest catalog, but try to order one............:flute:

Tom

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I'd just as soon own any 444 whether it'd be Microgroove or ballard; however, I am quite fond of the Microgroove rifling and find it to be extremely accurate in my 444S. Sometimes I get the feeling the Microgroove gets a bad rap, but if you spend some time on the range with one you will realize it's true potential. I can't say enough about mine.

Reactions: Starrbow and Tomray
1 - 20 of 21 Posts