Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a TDS a few months ago, and while its a tack driver and very accurate, its a little too small for me. I love the look of the straight stock and shorter barrels compared to a normal 39A, so I thought about a 39M. Just seems like it would fit me a little better.

Would I be completely out of line to think this? I was thinking maybe sell the TDS for $600-$700 and pick up a 39M for $450 or so. Or maybe trade the TDS for a 39M + $200. Is that too far off or am I just really high?

The gun does not have the case, but it is in good condition save for a few minor dings in the wood and no front sight hood.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
962 Posts
Yes someone will trade.

Would I trade one of my two mounties for a tds. No. One is from 1958 and one is from 1983. They are different. Now if I had two 1983's or two 1958's maybe.. the least minty would go.

The web sights might get you 600-700 for a tds. The ones I see for sale (Locally very few) have been around 550 with the takedown bag. Now they do not come up very often.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Pardon my ignorance here, but is a TDS actually smaller than a Mountie? If so, is it the stock that's shorter? Childs model? I know the Mountie is very similar to my Century 39 in barrel length and stock size, but?? Thanks for helping here.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I believe your TDS is close to a straight across trade for a M or “Mountie” with no case, showing use and no hood.

The TDS has a 16 inch barrel where a 39M or “Mountie” has a 20 inch barrel. The stocks are the same length on all of them.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I never could understand why they call them a TDS model. All model 39's come apart the same way! Now calling it a Trapper with the 16" barrel...well that I would understand!

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Okay, so the guy who wants to trade is just going to get a longer barrel out of the deal, I thought he said it felt too short and I misinterpreted that to mean, well too short in the stock. I now know that a TDS has a 16" barrel! This is one of the reasons I get up in the morning!! (learning)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts