Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a car hauler with a full size truck on it, would a 1/2 ton pickup be enough? and would a 3/4 ton pickup be any better?

or do you really need a dually with a gasoline big block or diesel?

I just wondered if I have a trailer with a full size truck strapped down will it be a joke the first time I try to take off, stop, or go around a corner.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Depends how often and how far you're going to haul it.

I'd recommend the 3/4 ton or greater to haul. Mostly because they have much more effective brakes and suspension than a 1/2 ton.

Diesel vs Gas is another 'how far, how fast, how often, and what is your local terrain' question. Diesels will have the edge in fuel and working up and down hills. Gas engines generally have enough power for around town or short hauls. Ask around for the engine/transmission combo that will do the job you want. Bigger isn't always better. Ford ran their 300cid straight 6 for years in 1/2 ton all the way to full 1ton trucks. The Dodge/Cummins diesels are

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
For 1 winter I towed my full size 1/2 ton Chevy Blazer with 7 1/2 ft. Western plow with a 93 4.3L GMC Jimmy S-15, so as far as I'm concerned, suspension isn't an issue. 1/2 ton full size truck would work, but as stated before the 3/4 ton and up has better braking. Gas is fine for the occasional tow, diesel for the heavy long haul with hills.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts