Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure I would turn a pack of Beagles loose on these rabbits. But we always said if the rabbit could whip 4 hounds he deserved to run again.
I never felt the need for 00 Buckshot. I have killed bunnies with #4 to #7-1/2 shot with no problems out od 12 16 20 and 410's plus a 16 and 18 gauge muzzle loader.

Note the rabbit on the Buckshot box.
Product Wood Rectangle Font Grass

·
Registered
19,346 Posts
When I was young, I shot a rabbit and gave it to Rusty, my hunting mentor. Next time I ran into him I asked how the rabbit was. He said "That rabbit was so tough, even the gravy was tough". We laughed about that for years.

Rusty's gone now. He was a funny guy. RIP.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I never had it smoked.
Yup smoke it low and slow for a couple hours then turn up the heat bbq like chicken with bbq sauce. I inject them with a mixture of spring water and just enough bbq sauce to turn the water red and not clog the needle.

edit. I forgot to say I wrap it with foil with bbq sauce and cook to a temperature of about 200

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's because that's not a rabbit on the box, it's a hare. They're born fully furred and ready to rumble ... Had a friend from Louisiana that came to visit me in Alaska, and he swore snowshoe hares were size of small kangaroos. Of course, he didn't realize the hare was standing on a clump of muskeg behind the bush he was peeking over.

I always carried slugs and buckshot when hunting them because there was a chance that I might run into something far bigger, meaner and further up the food chain than me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I love Hunting, cooking and eating rabbits and hares. I still use my dad's "Hasenpheffer" recipe for special occasions. I've got one thawing out now for tomorrow night's dinner. Over the years I've used .22 RF rifles and revolvers, cast 110 grain bullets in a 1903A3 Springfield as well as number 6 shot in shotguns to harvest them.

In my youth, we had a beagle that was absolute magic in bringing them around to us for the shot.

Rabbit. It's what's for dinner.
Food Ingredient Animal product Fluid Cuisine

·
Registered
82 Posts
Foreign ammo doesn't seem to suffer from as much marketing hype as our US ammo. Make the same load with #8 on up to 00 buck and put it in the same box for the same price. Now we have "specialty" loads for everything that really have the same performance as the old field loads, but cost 25-50%more. That same load sold by one of the big three here would be sold in a 5 round box for the price of 25, and marketed as "Extreme defense" or "monster nontypical whitetail" or some such nonsense.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Waiter, there's a hare in my soup....

and by-gum I Like it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts