Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 1952 Marlin .22 model 81 and my bolt keeps on giving me a hard time. It works fine cocking it but once I go to slide it back into place to fire it, it takes a little more force. Ive tried to clean it with a steel brush and then lube it up real nice but it still insists on giving me a tough time. Any suggestions would be awesome! I am not a gun smith at all so the more basic the better haha thanks!:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
pirhett, post a pic of the barrel end (inside of the receiver where the bolt seats when closed), and a good pic of the feed assembly where the bullets come up from the tube. Also a close pic of the short side of the rectangular block on the bolt where the handle attaches, the side closest to the striker knob.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Your extractor is bent. Is that the original bolt? Can you take some pics of it from the second view with a white background?

Reactions: Klewless

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I can see it in picture #2. On the left side, where the extractor arm branches from the "collar" part of it that surrounds the bolt, it is protruding outside of its channel. That might cause it to bind and could indicate the extractor is running into an obstruction..
m 25bolt03.JPG

This is from a M25 but is essentially the same bolt. See how the extractor sits flush inside the channel cut in the bolt. His looks like it has been forced backwards by an obstruction at the breech. It' most likely that the extractor grooves are obstructed with years of gunk from shooting, and there was not enough clearance for the extractor, causing it to get bent back.
The reason I asked if it was the original bolt is that '52 was the year they went to the new style extractor. The older extractors were narrower and the breech on the older models was cut accordingly. Trying to work a new style extractor in the older receiver would also cause such damage. Being a transition year, replacing the bolt would require determining which version you have.
In either event, the extractor is jamming into the breech, which would make closing the bolt difficult.

There also appears to be damage around the notch on the right side (in picture #2) of the bolt and the tab on the extractor "collar" on the right side (of pic #2) may be missing (these would be on the left side of the bolt as it is installed in the rifle). With pictures with a contrasting background, I could tell for sure

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Or cartridge guide spring.
That could do it, too. The slot in the bolt for it does show what could be abnormal wear. That extractor sure looks bulged to me, though. Pics of the breech would tell a lot ...

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is a pic of my 81 bolt P-bass, I have the same bulge on the extractor. I do see the damage to the recess in the bolt you mentioned. The black bolt is from a 25, and shows the tab (I think) you are talking about. I have not seen any 80's or 81's that use the tab, and if you buy a replacement extractor that has a tab, you have to grind the tab off to fit. The 25 series have a groove in the receiver for the tab to keep the bolt face aligned. The gun was inherrited from his G-Pa, so there is no way for sure to know what may have been done to it, but I would think that if it needeed the old style extractors that it would be impossible to close at all with the band style. Those cartridge guide springs do tend to get bent, and have to be forced back into the bolt recess, would like to see a pic of that. I dated his rifle for him as a 52 to 54, based on what you told me about the extractor introduced in 52, and lack of microgroove barrel. Always the possibillity that G-Pa built it using a mix of receiver, barrel, bolt combos. It never occured to me untill you mentioned it, but you may have hit it with the dirty barrel recesses for the extractor, sounds most logical.

photo (18).JPG photo (17).JPG

·
Registered
428 Posts
The only bolt I have that uses the old style extractors uses an older striker assembly, and does not fit my othe rifles, so I can't check to see.

photo (19).JPG photo (20).JPG

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Good to know. My bolt is considerably newer, and it seems some changes were made. That's the tab I was talking about. I didn't realize it was absent on the 80/81. So what aligns the bolt face in its abscence? I bet it was introduced with the 780/781 series.

I can see air between your extractor and the bolt channel, too. Mine sits much closer to the bolt as does your M25. I don't know if that's normal on the older ones or a sign of fatigue. I know it takes a LOT of gunk to clog up those extractor grooves to the point that the extractor can't push what's in there out of the way. But if it sat for a long time, that gunk could have hardened and now won't budge.

I'm thinking it's either the extractor grooves, the cartridge guide, as you suggest, or both.

The "wrong bolt" scenario would have to have occurred either recently or just before the gun was put away, because, as you surmised, it wouldn't function at all.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You have to align by hand to start the bolt, then the ejector wire keeps it in alignment. You are prob right about the 780 series, a friend of mine has a 782 that uses the tab style band extractor.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I had a 782 years ago. Sure wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys sorry I was at school all day! I just got home and Ill post pictures of everything you mentioned!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More pictures

Hopefully these pictures are better! Thanks for taking your time to try and help me out! IMG_1748.jpg IMG_1747.jpg IMG_1746.jpg IMG_1745.jpg IMG_1744.jpg IMG_1748.jpg IMG_1747.jpg IMG_1746.jpg IMG_1745.jpg IMG_1744.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more pictures

Hey here are the rest of them

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My thing that lifts up the new round is crooked when in my gun and screwed in properly but once i pull it out its still fine. not sure if that the problem

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Seems like it's riding high, too. Are you sure it is installed properly? The ones I've seen were more centered. It could be turning the bolt enough that the extractors are not feeding into the grooves for them in the breech, and the cartridge guide spring is not going into the slot in the bolt. Close the bolt slowly and watch for them to engage properly.
There also appears to be some deformaion of the notch in the bolt where the extractor clips on. On the right side of the picture where part of it seems to be bent inward. Compare your pic to the one Klewless posted of his Model 81 bolt.

·
Registered
428 Posts
"My thing that lifts up the new round is crooked when in my gun and screwed in properly but once i pull it out its still fine. not sure if that the problem"

If I'm reading that right, you have had the stock off of the action, and the lifter assembly off of the receiver? If that is so, then did you try the bolt while the lifter assembly was not attached to see if that is where it is binding? Other than the trigger stud protruding slightly into the receiver, I don't see anything wrong in the pics. I doubt the trigger stud has been removed, so I assume it has always been like that and would not be the cause of your prob. When you say "Tough" 1- Is it "Tough" to slide it forward and backward (It will be somewhat resistant, the lifter assembly is riding on and pushing up on the bottom of the bolt while you are moving the bolt back and forth. 2- Is it "Tough" to slide forward and backward the whole way, or does it free up at some point? 3 - Is it "Tough" to swing the bolt handle up and down? ( There should be some resistance while swinging the handle. This is where the rectangular block on the bolt acts like a cam, and forces the extractor clips to open into the barrel grooves, and the cartridge guide spring into the groove on top of the bolt face, and the bolt face against the barrel chamber. This tension keeps the bolt from flopping open randomly. Both of my 81's require more effort to open and close than my 80's, or 25's, because of the lifter assembly pushing up on the bottom of the bolt. It's just the "Nature of the beast". I use a spray called Dykem to lightly spray my parts, then assemble and cycle. The Dykem is a stencil ink, used in machine shops, that scratches off anyplace there is rough contact of the metals. Shows where there may be problems. Clean with solvent after, and re-lube the parts.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not a straight on pic of the lifter, I can't tell how much canter is in if from the angle of the shot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Klee, yeah the bolt just mainly has resistance going up and down. But based on what you've said it's starting to sound normal. If anything is wrong it might be the extractor because I took it apart last week to clean it since no one in about 20 years had cleaned it. Maybe it messed up. Do you think you could post a picture of that whole mechanism if you don't mind? I want to see if I put that spring in correctly. I also have noticed that when it's loaded and I try to cycle bullets out like unload it by using the spring they don't just "pop" out once the bolt is open. They tend to get stuck inside oh the extractor groves. Not sure if that's nornL either. Thanks for trying to understand me. I know I don't really use the correct words when describing things, but I try. Thanks again guys for helping me out!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts