Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a remlin 1894 in 45 colt. The wood to metal fit is about the best I’ve ever seen. Nice figure in the wood. Only flaw is the checkering is almost non existent. Is it worth risking it and buying a set off eBay for $200 that has nice checkering or is there someone I could send my stocks to and get the checkering touched up?
What about would something like that cost?

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I have a remlin 1894 in 45 colt. The wood to metal fit is about the best I’ve ever seen. Nice figure in the wood. Only flaw is the checkering is almost non existent. Is it worth risking it and buying a set off eBay for $200 that has nice checkering or is there someone I could send my stocks to and get the checkering touched up?
What about would something like that cost?

PFM,

Check out DemBart tools, Brownell's is a good source. If there is a pattern the effort is much easier to resharpen the points. You just need to get the right line per inch head. A double point tool head would be a good choice. Should run you around $25 for the handle and head. If you have a single line outline, get a single groove head as well while ordering. Shipping costs as much at the tool head.

·
Registered
14,148 Posts
Sand it smooth and eliminate the Remlin checkering. Be careful, don't take off any wood at all where the wood-to-metal fits. Re-stain, hand rub some linseed or tung oil, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Better to use a single line cutter to go over checkering. Even though it may state the checkering is say 18 LPI the tools vary enough that by the time you get part way across the checkering panel it may be off enough to put the double line cutter tool right in the middle of the diamonds where you don't want to be. I have done recuts on a lot of Marlins and CZ's and the single line cutter is the way to go if you don't want to split the diamond down the middle in the pattern where it will stand out. The new Marlin/Rem guns have terrible checkering with lines that may go to a stop in the middle of the pattern or merge into another line beside the one you are cutting. Looks more like it was put on with a razor knife. Absolutely very poor work for the cost of the new guns.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, i decided to try it myself. I have already redone the stock and it looks amazing. Just need to clean the checkering up. Should I get a 60 or 90 degree?

The buttsock fit to the tangs on this thing couldn't get anymore perfect. Very impressed. The forearm needed a little blending into the forearm cap and receiver. The finish just looked dry. I taped up the checkering and light sanded everything then refinished with multiple coats of tru-oil. Just how I like it now. I wish I would have taken some before photos.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts