Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 1949 336A in .32 Special, for a quite a spell now and always had a scope on it. Then I've had this Redfield Peep from around the same era. Decided I would take off the scope and put on the peep and sight it in with my cast loads at 60yds. I know the load shoots well and wondered if I still had eyes for irons. The target answered yes.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Yikes Swaney, not only is the 32 Spcial but so is your vision!! You must be living the good life! Seriously, nice job with that fine shooting. Wednesday I resighted
my 1968 Model 94 with standard factory loads (170 WWPP) since I didn't see the need to keep it sighted in for the 165gr HDY FTX load. The HDY FTX load is better served by my 1958 336SC. I put a 2x7x33 Leupold VXI on the 336SC and resighted it in also. Used the FTX ammo out of the 336SC and they did just great. Now I got one .32 Special for FTX hunting, one for standard 170gr ammo, one strictly for cast bullet shooting (1951 336SC) and a safe queen (my 1949
vintage Win Mod 94) which I shot my first deer with.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Seems your peepers are still working just fine. ;)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Swany,
The next time you shoot that rifle, stand on your tip toes and take a half step to the left and you should be Dead On ! :-* ;D ::)

Hip

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Ya gotta pic of that .32 with the Redfield peep? I likes peep sighted lever guns...

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Great shooting, Swany! Don't think mine groups that well with my hunting load, but that last elk didn't know that - LOL!

358 Win - safe queen? That's a 1949, not an 1849, same age as me. Making it a safe queen is like us heading for the rocking chairs. I doubt you can wear it out. Can't you hear it when you reach for one of the others to take to the field, "I can still do it, TAKE ME!"
Seriously, Bob, that's a great collection of 32Specials! Enjoy!.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trapper-xx said:
Was that a typo or did you really say 9 grns. of 2400?
Caught that huh? Normally that would be Unique for a cast load. I got a wild hair when I was working up that load and decided to try 2400, worked out pretty good. Yep 9gns of 2400 and a 170gn cast. Got no idea how fast but, know where it's gonna hit. I like sharing some of my favorite pistol powders with my rifle cals.

I'll try to get a pic of it with the peep on it.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
swany said:
I'll try to get a pic of it with the peep on it.
Nice shooting, now for the pics.....

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Looks like both of ya still got it! Most days I have trouble shooting that good with a scope :-[ DP

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nag, nag, nag, okay I took the time. ;D

1949 336A
.32 Special
Redfield Peep
Cutout hood with firesight

Closeup of the vintage Redfield Peep

Attachments

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Not sure which one looks better for it's age, you or the 32. :-\ Lookin good Swany. DP

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
swany said:
Nag, nag, nag, okay I took the time. ;D
Nice looking rifle! ;D

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, ever notice the fore stock looks long? Measured it vs my Cowboy it's an inch longer at 9 1/2 but then a 39A is the same length. Cowboy is 8 1/2.

That old .32 could only be better if it was a Cowboy.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
swany said:
Thank you, ever notice the fore stock looks long? Measured it vs my Cowboy it's an inch longer at 9 1/2 but then a 39A is the same length. Cowboy is 8 1/2.

That old .32 could only be better if it was a Cowboy.
I noticed that also.... that's a sweet ol bangstick ;)

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Hipshot said:
Swany,
The next time you shoot that rifle, stand on your tip toes and take a half step to the left and you should be Dead On ! :-* ;D ::)

Hip
Hehehe I think you got it figured out for him Hip! Fine shooting Swany, glad to get a look at that 'special' .32 special you been squaking about for years, very nice!! .DT

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Very nice. I didn't catch the bullet design other than it was 170 grain... need to re-read the post I guess.
I only have couple of .32As, and one like NIB carbine 36 with what appears to be a factory threaded muzzle with a nice knurled thread protector.
I have molds but have never fired any of these, inasmuch as I focus on .30-30s... but they ARE pretty.

Also, I've been considering change out to firesights on a couple of my go-to Marlins. What are your likes and dislikes regarding firesights?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have several 30-30s and have had more over the years that I load cast in, they do well.

I will say that the .32 usually has a slower twist and will shoot cast much better across the board than it's 30-30 counterpart. Lot of .32s have a groove large enough to use 8mm molds and they have some lighter projectiles that could be used. I do like mine with the 170s, these I get from a commercial caster here in Michigan, the lable on the box says 32-40 which I guess is the Specials parent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts