Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Took my new 336C 30-30 out for a shot today.

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  308/338 
#1 ·
Gday guys, its been awhile since she arrived home but I just havent had time to get out and put a few rounds through her.

So today I was given the all clear from the leader of the opposition (wife), so I packed up the gear into my day pack and headed for our local state forest. I parked the car and hiked in about 3/4 hr just to be sure I wouldnt be bothered and set up.

I must say I was a little nervous about it given the troubles others have had here with there 336s..... well Im happy to say it fed, fired and ejected flawlessly!

I put 20 rounds through it, giving it a clean at 1-2-5 rounds respectively. I know there's differing opinions on the shoot in process, so I opted for "middle ground" with the 1-2 5 method. Seems to have worked out OK, I shot about a 2" group at 80 yards with stock sights using a fallen tree as my "bench".

On the subject of sights, Im of the opinion that the std rear sight sucks! Its going, and a Skinner Express sight will be taking its place. The area I was shooting in is one of the areas ravaged by the Victorian bushfires a few years ago, so a lot of the trees are black, making the rear sight disappear against the backdrop. Given that I'll be shootin alot in these darkened forests I'm going with the Skinner.

Anyways, heres a couple of pics of her, Im a very happy Marlin owner! I can see this rifle staying with me forever.

Oh, I was very impressed by the ease in which it carried too, I havent got around to getting a sling for it yet, so I just held it by the receiver all the way up. No problems!

Cheers, Scott.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting. Just walking into the state forest around here and starting target practice is an excellent way of getting arrested. The state has numerous public shooting ranges, and if you want to target shoot, that's where you have to go. Just wildly shooting in the woods is a great way of getting the DNR or the police to be waiting at your vehicle when you walk out of the woods.

#3 ·
Halwg said:
Interesting. Just walking into the state forest around here and starting target practice is an excellent way of getting arrested. The state has numerous public shooting ranges, and if you want to target shoot, that's where you have to go. Just wildly shooting in the woods is a great way of getting the DNR or the police to be waiting at your vehicle when you walk out of the woods.
G'day Hal. Different locals, different laws, and a lot more isolated in some areas down our way.

Hey Scott, go for the Skinner, I love mine and I think it only took 8 or 10 days for it to arrive.

Cheers,
Mark.

#4 ·
Halwg said:

Mate, I wasnt just "wildly shooting in the woods". I took all the safety precautions necessary to make it safe. Im not a moron.

And it's perfectly legal here.

Cheers, Scott.

#5 ·
Good shootin' to a fellow Marlin brother from down under! ;D

Congrats on getting a good shooter......2" @ 80yds with irons is some nice shooting in my book!

#9 ·
MontanaMan said:
Scott nice work and I really enjoyed the pictures! What kind of knife is in your second photo?

Jesse
Gday Jesse, its an ESEE 4, I dont know if you're familiar with them, they used to be known as RAT cutlery.

4-1/2" 1095 carbon steel full flat grind blade, full tang construction, micarta handles, very tough.
You can basically hammer them through logs to split fire wood.

Look em up on the Net, they come in different blade lengths too. I cant recommend them highly enough. Great blades!

Cheers, Scott

#10 ·
00buck said:
Nice looking rifle !! It has some nice grain in the wood too. :)

Ive been looking around for a 336C also.. hope I can find one as nice looking as yours. :)
Hey 00buck, yep Im pretty happy with the grain too! Good luck with the new 336C hunt, mine is a #91 prefix "JM" branded one, so as Ive been told makes it an '09 Marlin manufactured rifle. Id steer clear of any REM manufactured ones if possible....to many horror stories for me!

Roan444 said:
Great day in the woods!

We can shoot on state land here as well, wildly or otherwise ;D

Good thinking not making us beg for pics, nice job!
;) Cheers mate.

six_gunz said:
Good shootin' to a fellow Marlin brother from down under! ;D

Congrats on getting a good shooter......2" @ 80yds with irons is some nice shooting in my book!
Thanks mate, that was my best though..... It'll be intersesting to see what I can do with the Skinner on board and a little more "getting to know her" time under my belt.

Cheers, Scott.

#12 ·
MontanaMan said:
Scott thank you for putting up the great pictures of your knife for me, it looks every bit as good as you say it is. Stop over the the knife forum if you'd like to see some pictures of mine and some of the other guys.

Jesse
Knife Forum? Theres a knife forum here? Im on it! :eek:

Cheers, Scott.

#13 ·
Great looking rifle Scott...be sure to hit us brothers in arms up with some photos when you finally take first blood with her....I know that some feral pigs or goats are probably wondering when you'll show up to ruin their day ;)

P.S. Cut Hal a little slack , he and I live in the very up-tight Northeastern US where guns anywhere near a park means jail time...such a shame after coming from Texas where everybody I knew was considered naked without a 30-30 behind your head in the cab rack of the pickemup truck

#14 ·
obe-wan said:
Mate, I wasnt just "wildly shooting in the woods". I took all the safety precautions necessary to make it safe. Im not a moron.

And it's perfectly legal here.

Cheers, Scott.
So it was in various National Forests and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) management areas that I used to shoot upon when I was a California resident, too. And like Scott, I wasn't "wlidly shooting in the woods" and took all the precautions necessary to have a safe shoot. I see more unsafe morons at the local Oklahoma Dept. of Wildlife range than I ever did when it was me, myself, and I on some public patch of wild, California where discharge for recreational target shooting was lawful outside of dedicated shooting ranges. There are still plenty of places in California where doing what Scott described is perfectly safe and totally legal. And that's California, which has some of the stupidest gun control laws in the world.

Glad your 336 is working for you, Scott. I've enjoyed mine for 35 years and plan to keep on doing so until I am too old and infirm to shoot it. I hope you are able to do likewise.

T-C

#16 ·
Very nice rifle. And is that an ESEE knife in the second photo? I just got my new ESEE 5 to replace an old Puma White Hunter I used to have as a do-all camping and woods tool. I think I could plow a 1/4 acre field with it and then slice some tomatoes nice and thin for my sammich. Very happy with it so far. Torture test is planned for next weekend.

My rifle is identical to yours so I know you love it, excepting I removed the rear sight and put on a Williams FP aperture sight. If you go this route, and you might consider a Skinner sight also, you will need a taller front sight. Easy enough to measure. For a post sight, I'd recommend Skinner and if you use the Skinner Aperture sight, it will come properly measured. For a bead sight, look at Marbles. They'll both have a good fit for your needs.

I did a similar thing on my breakin. I cleaned it after every shot for the first three shots and then every three shots until I went through a box of ammo.

#18 ·
Great Scott good to hear good things. I to on occasion walk into the woods in my state NYS with two long time friends, we look for a safe place to shoot also. Usually we shoot into a hill or a mountain. Who needs a good day go bad. So good luck with your rifle.

Good hunting and safe shooting.
T ;) NY

#20 ·
Never heard of Star Lake NY but it sounds like a place I like to go. Me and my buddies go all over NYS. I have property in Newburgh one of my friends is in Hunter the other has a camp house in Cobleskill. I can go on and on. Oh yeah Cairo too. I'm going to look up Star Like NY just to see where it is.

T ;) NY

#22 ·
Just checked Lake Star out on Google earth. You must have Moose in that area. How big are the deer up there? They gotta be around 200 pounds. I was at an old gunsmith shop in Indian Lake and on the wall there was two of the largest deer heads I have ever seen. The antlers touched the ceiling at 10' high. I'm only 5'6" and I was looking eye level with the deer's lip. I kid you not these deer heads were as big as a full size horse heads. The gunsmith an old man told me he shot them both in Saskatchewan. I asked him about the hunt. He said the snow was waist high and he shot them right behind the farmers barn. Not far from the road.

T 8) NY

#23 ·
We have seen moose up by Tupper Lake but I've never seen one out here in Star lake, which is about an hour west of Tupper. There was a moose right in the middle of Watertwon a couple years ago. Funny thing about hunting the Adirondacks is you may not see a deer at all but you may see the biggest one you ever seen in NY. I've been hunting the Adks for the last ten years and have only got a couple little bucks. Three years ago in Tupper my buddies got a 14 point 200+ pounder though...
Lots of nowwhere for them to hide up here...

#24 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. just got back from fruitless fishing trip at Lake Eildon (NE Vic, Australia). I just grabbed an old Redfield 2-3/4 power scope off ebay thats gonna get a run on the 336C first, so the Skinner is on the backburner. Stay tuned.... ;-)

Cheers, Scott.

#25 ·
That sounds like a good plan. I like the 4x scope on my 35 rem 336C. That is my only scoped Marlin at this point. It is nice having the scope when I want it though.

Sounds like you better plan another fishing trip too ;D

#26 ·
Gday Scott I like a scope on a rifle why not take full advantage of the rifle's potentials. This is my last target and hopefully will get new ones this week. But first got to get my boat in the water, strip bass are in. Good luck with your set up but for me it was the Redfield 2X7X33 on top of the 336XLR-35R. Picture is at 50 yards with my hand loads The Strip bass in the picture was the fast of last season and the smallest one of the season.

T ;D NY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.