Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good time yesterday at the range. I took my 1851 Pietta Colt clone for a few rounds. There were a bunch of folks there, and everybody kept coming up to me asking what in the world was I shooting that was throwing out sparks and so much smoke. Everybody I talked to wanted to shoot it, and I barely got any rounds off due to everyones interest. It is very accurate, and I can put all my rounds into the head of a B17 target at 35 meters. I'd like to get an 1861 model in .44 or remington '58 also in .44. Any other BP revolver shooters out there?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have three cap and ball revolvers. A'60 colt 44, '58 remington 44. and a lemat. I try to shoot at least every couple of weeks. They're a blast. I'm going to try to get a turkey with my '58 remington this fall.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's great to shoot all day for so cheap. I wait until the end of hunting season when Pyrodex RS is on clearance at WAL Mart. You just can't beat it at 7.00 a tub. I usually buy a buttload of bullets from cabelas, and the caps are pretty cheap, too. It's not as cheap as a .22, but a heck of alot more fun!

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Skippy,

I have a Navy 36 Cal. clone that I love to strap on during muzzle loader season here in Oklahoma. Makes me feel like Matt Dillon. :lol: I will most likely find a 44 cal. on day and see how it goes.

Dave :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a Uberti 1851 Navy Colt a few months ago and it is a really pleasant gun to shoot with 15 grains BP equivalent of Pyrodex. I have also got a stainless steel copy of the Remington New Model Army in 0.44 which I use for serious target shooting but for fun shooting nothing beats the Colt.

Whenever I see prices on this forum it almost makes me cry. $7 a tub for Pyrodex! In the UK you will be lucky to find it at less than $35 a tub. Caps are at least $6 per 100 and 0.36 balls are over $10 per hundred although most people cast their own.

The Colt Navy may not be very cheap to shoot over here but it is still as much fun.

·
Registered
200 Posts
To VTDW -- You may already know this, but a .36 caliber cap and ball revolver is illegal to carry in Oklahoma during muzzleloader season. I like the .36 caliber revolvers, but have never recommended one to a friend because of this technicality in Oklahoma Hunting laws.

Outlander2

·
Registered
688 Posts
Such is also illegal here in VA's ML season. Of course, if you have your CHP you can carry that gun so long as you don't shoot a deer with it. Don't know why they just can't extend that caveat to all BP pistols as well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That Ruger Old Army shooting the .457 ball IS legal in Oklahoma for shooting down and wounded game. I believe the regulations calls it a "second" gun. I have used mine in this manner twice. Once I was sitting along the break of hill on my place and a nice young 6 point buck was meandering up the hill behind me. When I tried to move he would look up so I decided to shoot him left handed. (I am right handed)
He was at a good angle so I shot him through the ribs down into the vitals and of course, the smoke just rolled from that Renegade .54 T/C. I was in a platform stand I had built in a tree and the deer came by on my right and turn left to run in front of me. I drew my pistol, pointed to where I believed I needed to be to shoot the deer in the head as it ran past and fired. The deer nose-dived to a stop and my chest swelled up big as I thought to myself, "Yeah By God, that is how you shoot a pistol right there!" I climbed down from my stand and found my 6 point was now a five point as I shot away the front of the antler and the right brow tine with my "secondary" shot. I had basically knocked the deer out so he could die I guess. The second time was a bad shot due to a bad rifle that wounded a deer through the face. I followed the deer, sick to my stomach at the shot I made with the rifle and mad as hell because the rifle was not hitting within 8 inches of where I thought Zero should be at 40 yards. I tried looking down the barrel of the rifle without using the sights when I found the deer standing the first time and did not touch it. Put the rifle over my shoulder and drew my pistol and tracked it again. It had only ran about 120 yards and was standing broadside to me at 45 yards. I shot it through the lungs with that Ruger Old Army and it went down like it had been hit with a hammer. I am not proud of that story at all, but it turned out decent since I recovered the deer. I bought that inline rifle and I have missed two deer with it because the gun is a piece of junk. The second time (this experience) was enough that I will never hunt with it again.

·
Registered
327 Posts
fredh what club are you shooting at in wales................ :D

viv

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I am looking at getting an 1851 navy reproduction and am wondering if the Pietta is of high enough quality to make the savings on a Uberti worth it?

lol resurecting this thread from the grave :twisted:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got a Colts Navy 1851 as well and it is a shooter. I purchased mine back in the 70's when Colt brought them back into production. I only regret is that I didn't buy a brace of them when I had the chance...love to have a Wild Bill setup and try shooting with both hands. I read were he liked to walk cans with both guns for fun.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Just repro's for me so far. You have both .44 and .36 cal? In the 1851? How do they compare accuracy wise?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Let's see..... A Uberti 44 1866 Remmie revolving carbine, a Navy Arms 44 1858 Remmie pistol that I've had for about 25years and was well used when I got it, plus an unmarked 1860 Army 44 that I don't have a clue who made it or where.

Love my cap and ball Remmies almost as much as I do my Marlin in 44-40. I got the Colt clone in a trade and other than it's being a nice looking pistol, I've never really warmed to it. The only markings on it are the serial number and the cylinder scene. I did use all three (with an extra cylinder for the carbine) when I was last playing with CAS almost ten years ago now.

The carbine I've also used for squirrel hunting and carried it with me on the job several times when I was caretaking a hunting club's grounds.

Dang, I need to go out and blow some smoke now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts