Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Went out to get in some practice on the turkeys todays as they have been kick'n my you know what lately and I figured practice, practice and more practice is what I need. Anyway, the range session was OK, I had the range pretty much all to myself today. We have had 2 days of really heavy rain including this morning. The area around the 150 yd turkey rails is mostly sand. The rain exposed some previously expended bullets that had meet their untimely end on a steel turkey.

While I was hanging up my target I could see some gas checks lying on the ground, then I could see a couple mushroom shaped bullets. That was enough to make me look around a little more and I found some pretty neat bullets that had hit the steel turkeys and dropped right there on the target line. I found some copper bullets, some lead bullets and couple of items I have no idea. The one really large bullet was over 1/2" in dia and I estimate the length at 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" long. It was really pretty dang big. I put one of my 30-30, .309 dia, 170 gn cast bullets just for comparission.
Anyway, I thought it was interesting looking at the various types of expansion on the bullets. I guess I did not know that gas checks travel that far, I thought they came off shortly after leaving the barrel?
Now, I know where some of them big dings came from in the steel targets. Anyone know what the big clover leaf like looking thing is on the picture with the gas checks? I am fairly new to shooting silhouettes, as far I know everyone shoots cast bullets? It looks like that was or is not always true?

Rock Artifact Mineral Stone tool Metal
Rock Artifact
Metal Copper Coin Button
Artifact Stone tool Rock

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Ron -- " Anyone know what the big clover leaf like looking thing is on the picture with the gas checks?" You might have found the half jacket from a half jacketed bullet. They look something like this before smacking a dinger!

View attachment 105519

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wind,
thanks for that line of thought, I can do some research on that. There were also what looked like some solid copper bullet that really do a good job of expanding when they impacted. Soooooo, maybe if we might have to go copper at some point in the future, we will probably still be OK.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hey there Ron -- " Anyone know what the big clover leaf like looking thing is on the picture with the gas checks?" You might have found the half jacket from a half jacketed bullet. They look something like this before smacking a dinger!

View attachment 105519

Hey Wind,

What are those bullets for? They look a little "Keith"-ish but never seen a Keith bullet with a half jacket. Very interesting.

B

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Brian -- I believe they started life intended for 9mm as they are .356" in diameter and weighed 125 grains. I had a Winchester 1892 25-20 that was rebored to .357 Magnum. It had a very tight chamber/bore and preferred these .356" half jacketed bullets and cast bullets at .357". Back when Oregon Trail Bullet Co. first started up, you could get 38 caliber bullets sized to .357".

View attachment 105536

Their original box long since went away and they are living in Hornady 30 caliber box now (with label). If I had to guess I would say they were made by Speer. Maybe JB will recognize them.

I guess I've been chasing the best bullet to bore dimensions for a long time!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.