Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a day, I took all my Marlin kids to the range today. Fired 20 rounds through each one, then waited tell they cooled oiled them and put them back in the case. Its wonderful to touch all the craftsmanship that went into these rifles, even the 729, M 60, Glenfield 25 and Golden 39a. What a smile comes to ones face shooting the 30/30, 35 Rem, and the 444S. What a perfect day.

Now that is not what I went to the range to do, but I did get my AR 15 sighted in with the irons and a removeable scope. Irons sights came in at the 25 meter target almost immediately, fired three rounds at the 100 meter target and hit three dead nuts in the black with 77gr Berger VLD Hunting HP. I was a bit concerned using the 77gr bullets in a 1:7 twist, but it was spot on. Then it came to the scope, that was a bit more involved.

The scope sits well above 1.5 inches from the center line of the barrel. So, I shot an offhand 3 rounds at 25 feet. I am glad I was using a large target, the rounds hit 12" high and to the right about 4". Got the AR dialed in at 25 feet and then move to 25 meters. High about 6" and right about 2.5". I was sure glad we did not have a crowd at the range, I was able to get quarter inch placement with three rounds in the black 25 meter target in quick time. Going over to a friends tomorrow, he has an area where I can try 300 meter shots. Hoping the day will be cool and no wind. Have not shot the AR platform at that range ever....should be fun.

The best part of the day, knowing that I reloaded all the rifle rounds, except the 22lr, and they were very consistent, no flyers, and came to 25 meter zero very quickly. I used Berger 55gr VLDs HPs and the 77gr hunting VLD HP. Switching from 55gr to 77gr caused my zero point to move about 2". I split the difference and all were hitting in the black on the 25 meter target. Theoretically, hitting the zero/zero at 300 meters should be dead on. As I understand it, the bullets follows a trajectory where its zero/zero at 25 and 300 meter, we will see. At the 150 meter range the bullet should only be about 8" above the zero/zero mark. Half tempted to put a third target out at 150 meter. Not sure I can keep them all in a straight line, perhaps running a string from bench to 300 meters might work.

Sorry for rambling, perhaps someone might see a flaw in my thinking, still, a lovely day. Did not think of O'bumbler or the Guberment all day long, a true blessing. Anyone else get to the range today, how much fun did you have. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
16,792 Posts
Hey Deadwood,

Wish the ice would melt, just a bit.

Really need some trigger time.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day!!!!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Thought about going to the range today, as the temperature was finally above Zero this week. The recent foot and a half of snow had me thinking it would not be much fun to put up targets, however. Sounds like you had a good day. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Golphin:

No, SC is still on the American Standard System, but I just wanted to see if the AR would meet specification. Thus I had to shoot in meters rather than feet.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Any day of burning powder is a good day. Been snowing since Friday here, seems to be crappy on my days off and nice when I'm working. DP

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Was just reading about the winter of 1816 here in Ohio. Seems there was a big volcano eruption 1815 in Indonesia that threw so much ash, that in 1816 no crops grew, there was frost every month of the year and snow in June.

My feet haven't been warm since last November. This ole wimp hasn't put any range time in for awhile, and from the look of the 10ft piles of snow around town, it may be a day or two before I get to the range again. The new 49 waffletop wants out !!

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Hey Deadwood,

Wish the ice would melt, just a bit.

Really need some trigger time.

Later, Mark
Got to the range yesterday. Had to dress really warm (27deg) and use my cordless drill W/18" masonary bit to plant the targets.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey just wanted to display the shots from 300 meters/ 984 feet with my Sig 5.56 AR15 platform.

I wrote all the details twice but the quick post was rewriting my reply with prior corrections. Not sure what that was about. But if anyone is interested, I give you my load data.

I did shoot 1 test round, then shot 3 groups about 3 minutes apart.

Here is the target. 300 yrd target.jpg

Varget Powder, compression load 23,7 gr
Average fps - 2800
Casing were twice fired
Primer - CCI 400

Glad I had a spotter :biggrin:

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Deadwood

That looks like some pretty good shootin' to me!

cheers!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
16,792 Posts
Hey Deadwood,

That is some fine shooting.

Later, Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts