Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I was reloading for my .357 and am still a newb . Anyway my die was set for 38(which were the last loads I did) and I flared the case mouths too much.
So my thought was that the seating/crimp die would tighten the case up. Apparently not as the rounds are hard to load in my revolvers.
Question is what to do with them(50 rds)
There was too much flare and the case is a tad too big.Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I just mic'd them and the very end of case(bullet end) is .380-.383
The rest of the case and my other rounds mic at .375.
These do chamber in my 1894 so I will use them only in that until I reload them again.

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
if you're going to load them in a tube mag rifle .... I'd bet you want to load one at a time, carefully. You can't have much case neck tension holding that bullet in place if you ran the expander down to .38 spl length.

I'd be more prone to pull the bullets, dump the powder on the tabasco pepper plants, resize the brass and open it up properly for .357 mag and start over.

Just my opinion.

JD

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr surveyor you are right about one at a time as my 1984 has the "marlin jam" and I currently only load one at a time anyway.
But you are probably more right about pulling them..
Thanks

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. It will resize them back to chamber specs. Its a little bigger that SAAMI chamber specs, that is to say, it doesn't size as much as much as the standard resize die, but the Lee FCP will resize the cases without squeezing the bullets and bring them back to where they should easily chamber in your revolver. It's a carbide die and doesn't need to be lubed. Lee recommends using this die as the last station on a progressive press to ensure that no rounds are oversize.

You do not need to set the die to crimp for this purpose. The round just needs to enter the die and run up to the top. Back off one the crimp adjustment so it does not engage.

In the future, if you notice that you have over flared the cases in this way, and if you catch this before you seat the bullets--and you should be able to catch this, as the over flare will most likely hang up on the mouth of the seating die--you can resize the cases in the sizing die. Empty the powder and run the overflared case in the sizing die. If you do this carefully, you can stop shot of engaging the decapper, and you won't need to reprime. This will iron the case down to a usable diameter again, and the case mouth will be appropriately flared in the expander once the expander die is correctly reset for .38 special.

DO NOT USE THE RESIZE DIE ON LOADED AMMO!!! If loaded ammo is run thought a resize die, the bullet will be swaged below bore diameter and will not longer fit the bore. Accuracy will suffer.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
It sounds like your over crimping, back off the seating die and very slowly set the crimp, looks are deceiving, so look hard at the crimp. When you say flair one thinks of belling the case, but, the case should be pushed in during bullet seating and crimping. So I take that it is a over crimp and buckling the case.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Starrbow it was first that I bell the case mouth too much. I couldn't find the right word. Anyway I belled them for .38 which drives the case further up the expanding die and the .357 cases are longer so the flare was too much. I went ahead and loaded the powder and seated/crimped as normal hoping the crimp would unbell{?} the case enuff to shoot.Not enuff to load into my revolver unfortunately. But in my 1894 they would go in OK
Wild Willy they are just hard to load not impossible,and after running one thru my 1894 action a few times it slid rite on down into my revolver's chamber....So with all ya'lls advice and thinking it thru some more I will
A-- Shoot them only in my 1894 or
B-- Run them thru the 1894 a few times which seems to tightem them up enuff to go into the revolvers.. Thanks all!!
Another lesson learned along the way!!

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Belling or crimping, just a little is enough, slightly is the optimum word. We are always learning!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
FYI,

The reason for the comment about shooting them one at a time above was probably NOT because of the Marlin jam, it was because putting multiple bullets in a tube magazine that have possible weak neck tension COULD result in bullets getting pushed deeper into the case while inside the mag tube (due to recoil) which WILL dramatically raise chamber pressure.

There are several options to fix it including taking the guts out of your sizing die and backing it off part way so that you can run a loaded round in it part way. Just far enough to feel a little resistance then check visually and with a mic. Adjust until it irons enough of the bulge out so they chamber normally and shoot away.

Or, just do as advised already and shoot them from the rifle where they already fit.

Be sure to inspect those cases closely after firing for split case mouths as overworking them that hard could cause problems. The good news is that if they need it, you can trim them back to 38 special length and load them for that caliber.

Reactions: mr surveyor
1 - 10 of 10 Posts