Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tony Stewart allegedly hits, kills driver at dirt-track race in New York

I did not link to the youtube video, you will need to search for this yourself A bit hard to watch. Prayers go to the family of the driver that was killed.

From Fox News:

From MSNBC Sports:

The Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff’s Department has confirmed the death of a sprint car driver that was hit by three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart in an incident Saturday night at the Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park.
During a race at the half-mile dirt track, Stewart caused 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. to spin out. That caused Ward to get out of his car to confront Stewart, but he was then struck by Stewart’s car.
Early Sunday morning, Sheriff Philip Povero confirmed that the driver was pronounced dead on arrival after being taken to a local hospital.
Povero also added that Stewart has been “fully cooperative” with the ongoing investigation.
“He is very upset and has confirmed his continuing cooperation,” the Sheriff said according to RochesterHomepage.net.
The district attorney’s office has been notified and as of now, no criminal charges have been filed.
Stewart is thought to have returned to Watkins Glen International. Jim Utter of the Charlotte Observer has relayed word from sources that say Stewart still plans to compete in Sunday’s Cheez-It 355 at the Glen.
A video of the incident was briefly posted on YouTube before it was removed, and started with Stewart and Ward going side by side through Turn 2. There, Ward was squeezed on the high side and then spun, his car sustaining a flat tire in the process.
Seconds later, Ward exited his car, pointed a finger toward Stewart’s oncoming car, and then walked farther down the track toward him. Stewart’s car then clipped Ward, who was thrown back 50 feet according to the Associated Press.
A full summary of the incident has been released by the Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff’s Office. It reads:
On Saturday, August 9, 2014, at or about 10:30 p.m., there was an on-track incident at the Exit of Turn 2 at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park, during the Lucas Oil SuperSprint Feature race. The race was in Lap 14 of a 25-lap race, when one car lost control and spun coming to rest along the outside retaining wall. The race was immediately put into caution, slowing the cars on the track. The driver of the car that spun exited the race car and walked down the track onto the racing surface. Two racecars traveling in tandem approached as the driver continued down the track, gesturing to the two approaching cars. The first car swerved to avoid the driver out on the track. The second car, operated by Tony Stewart, struck the driver. The driver was treated by on-track medical staff and was transported to F.F. Thompson Hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 11:15 p.m. At this point, Mr. Stewart has cooperated with the investigation, which is ongoing. The Sheriff’s Office has asked the individuals who possess amateur video, to please make contact with this office so that copies of the video accounts can be obtained for review. Please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 585-394-4560.
Stewart’s camp has also released their own statement:
“A tragic accident took place last night during a sprint car race in which Tony Stewart was participating. Tony was unhurt, but a fellow competitor lost his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. We’re still attempting to sort through all the details and we appreciate your understanding during this difficult time.”
Canandaigua Motorsports Park cancelled the rest of its racing on Saturday after the incident took place. It later said on its Facebook page that it would not have a statement ready until Sunday.
Per his bio on his official web site, Ward was in his fifth season with the Empire Super Sprints series. He claimed the series’ rookie of the year award in 2012.
Stewart has recently returned to sprint car racing after sustaining a broken leg in a crash last August at the Southern Iowa Speedway. In the previous month of July 2013, Stewart set off a 15-car incident at the same Canandaigua track that sent at least one driver to the hospital.
Our thoughts are with all involved at this time…

1895gunner

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
The video is still on YouTube as of 7:30am Sunday.Looks like Kevin ward walked into Tony's car.I am not a Stewart fan.But It does not appear tony had any intentions of hitting Kevin.It was disturbing to watch.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
20,512 Posts
I'll take you guys word on the video...don't need to see another person die! Prayers sent for all involved in this tragic accident!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I looked at the video. The deceased driver would likely be alive today had he not left his vehicle to run into oncoming traffic for a chance to point his finger at Stewart. Stewart did brake and slightly skid to avoid the guy. I guess it's possible Stewart aimed for the guy but you can see where the guy definately continued to cross the track to contront Stewarts car, on foot. Turns out, rightous indignation is no match for a speeding car.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Another case of "Road Rage", but this time during a possibly dangerous dirt track race. Just my two cents worth, and I'm too old and grumpy to debate it.

358 Win

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I have watched Tony race in Sedalia Mo. more than a few times he always seemed to be the guy who would help rather than hurt you.
He loves to race I got to meet him once when we had pit passes for the race we went to that night.
At least then he was a friendly guy.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I looked at the video. The deceased driver would likely be alive today had he not left his vehicle to run into oncoming traffic for a chance to point his finger at Stewart. Stewart did brake and slightly skid to avoid the guy. I guess it's possible Stewart aimed for the guy but you can see where the guy definately continued to cross the track to contront Stewarts car, on foot. Turns out, rightous indignation is no match for a speeding car.
I thought the same thing upon reading the article. He should have stayed inside his car.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
?????????? Sad Situation! Prayers Sent for all involved and their familes/love ones!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
769 Posts
I saw the video. Tempers were flaring from both of them. I did see a slight turn of the wheel as he hit Ward. I can't tell if it was on purpose or not but only Tony knows for sure. Stewart is driving today in Watkins Glenn NY.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
prayers sent for Ward and his family

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I'm betting he's done driving. We shall see...
Nah I doubt it. Although the accident might mess with his head for short time, he'll climb back in and keep driving. Once driving race cars gets in your blood, it's hard to leave it.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Nah I doubt it. Although the accident might mess with his head for short time, he'll climb back in and keep driving. Once driving race cars gets in your blood, it's hard to leave it.
We'll see. If it was his temper that flared that will be hard for him to overcome inside. I can see him rolling into ownership and out of the spotlight. Even if it isn't the mental side, getting sponsors with him behind the wheel could prove difficult here on out. But for sure it is hard to tell what will happen.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I find it hard to imagine Tony Stewart, a long time professional driver/owner, purposely running down this young man. It just doesn't fit. This young 20 yr. old should not have gotten out of his car and walked into oncoming cars that were zipping by. He could have been hit by any of the other cars...it's just coincidental that it was Stewart's car that hit him.

Here is Tony Stewart's web site...read for yourself if this sounds like the kind of person who would intentionally run over another driver.

Tony Stewart Biography

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Tony Stewart was born and grew up about 90 miles from where I lived most of my life. It is for this reason, if I followed any racing at all, I followed TS. I am not a big racing fan but have watched some NASCAR for the past ten years or so. I moved away from the sport as it became uninteresting to me and it moved down the priority list.

If anyone thinks TS somehow did this purposely and with anger, I must disagree. If you look at this sport and it's drivers, you could start a list this afternoon of those participants that have publicly displayed anger on the track and off the track. I do not think you could complete the list until sometime tomorrow. If you think TS could do this purposely, then there are literally a few dozen more in NASCAR that could do the same and I just simply do not believe that is the case. I wonder, if when a few years back TS waited for a driver coming around the track just so he could hurl his helmet at the windshield of that driver's car, if anyone would have blamed that driver had TS been struck and killed. I don't think so.

After TS displayed that crazy display of childish behavior, I started to drift away from the sport. Does he deserve criticism for past behavior that most consider crossed the line? I would say yes but I do not think for a second that he killed another driver even fractionally with intent.

It's my opinion ...

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Prayers sent for Kevin Ward Jr. and his family. May he rest in peace.

Reactions: 336 Fan

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
You never know what goes through a persons mind in a split second. Could be he thought, "this idiot standing in the middle of the track shaking his finger at me better get out of my way or he'll get hit" and just didn't avoid him till it was to late. That's why there are basic safety rules like on a gun range, you don't practice you fast draw or spin your pistol around your finger because something unintentional might happen to you or someone else. If someone who doesn't like my face jumps out in front of my car on the freeway, he might not be going home with a good story. Had the driver lived another 10 years, I'm sure he'd agree.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It was the kids own fault for running onto the track as all the cars were flying by. Many of the cars only missed him by inches and from what I seen in the video he walked into Stewarts car trying to act like a tough guy with his chest puffed out. I cant feel sorry for the stupid kid but I do feel bad for his family. Had he just stayed in his car none of this would have happened.

Reactions: miket156
1 - 20 of 36 Posts