Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should probably go in the reloading forum....but it could go in the general forum ...or right here in the .444 forum! ;D
Had posted in other forums here regarding whether or not I was pushing my limits as I referenced one reloading book that said I was good and another that said I shouldn't be shooting some of these as they were over the limit. After posting and hearing back from other sage reloaders, today I took the .444 out to see if there was going to be issues. I'm please to report that I feel there were no issues, chambering and ejecting did not show any hardships, that is to say they chambered well and extraction was smooth as melted butter. :D I will get some pics up here and in the Reloading forum with the cartridges in case I'm missing signs, I'd appreciate any input. Today I took the 1968 .35 Remington out and sighted it in at 25 yds then moved to the 50 yd range where I finished the day for the most part. These shots are the last 20 reloaded rounds I had and had questions about shooting them. The center was the first followed by upper right,lower left, lower right. These were 240gr. jsp with Alliant Reloader 7 powder in the following grains and corresponding with the above target sequence, 48.5 gr, 49.0 g., 49.5 gr., 50.0gr, according to Alliants web site 50.0 grains is a max load CCI 200 LR primers, case trimmed to 2.215" and COAL at 2.522"
All in all I thought ...man if I could get that at 100 yds I'd be a real happy camper. ;D
I thought at one time a group I shot was worth reloading, so I put together 19 rounds, 240jsp over 45.0 grs of Reloader 7 and CCI 200 primers with cases and COAL set to the above numbers. I found this to be a bit odd as the first set of 5 I originally shot were high and to the left, whereas these are low to the right.

Helped a fella get his 1951 30-06 (Which looked brand new BTW) sighted in, he couldn't find paper at 50, had him move to the 25 yd and gave him 4-8" x 11" targets with 1" grids, put up all 4 and had him shoot at the center, turned out his newly bore sighted scope was 7.5" left of the center and all he was hitting was the backer board and not his target at 50 Yds. He did move back to the 50 and took a few more sight ins, then went on down to the 100 yds where he surrounded the bullseye, he asked if I thought he was close enough to bang a gong at 200 yds...only one way to find out I told him, and he did fine, his smile was worth the time IMHO! ;D I finished my day by poking the 200 and 300 yards gongs just to show that a 30-30 can keep up with the bolt guys, OH yea... got the arms pretty sunburned...but it was a great day!! ;D ;D ;D ;D Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
There ain't no such thing as having too much fun ;D ;D. Sounds like you had a good day ;).

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Glad to hear that you finally had a good day MrFixit. Nice looking groups. I hope it does the same for you at 100 yd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts