Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,677 Posts
Watched one wack a bridge on I-95, closing 2 of 3 lanes for months. Kinda cool watching him ahead from an 1/8 mile behind him. A huge backhoe on a flat bed raised all the way up but well chained down. Saw it coming as his load was ridiculously over height and knew the driver would be fine if seat belted. I was first on the scene and already had the highway patrol on the way. Had to be a half if not a million dollars to repair.

Dumb A$$es.

AC

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
This happens all the time around my area. Truckers use to delivering know which routes they have to take but we have the Fracking going on and 1st timers driving. Some of the companies have a scout car running with the trucks. They have a pole fixed to Guage if load will make it under obstacles. Some so close they let air out of tires to clear. It's daily that they are stuck. Many of the roads around here are impossible to navigate for big trucks. They have to be assisted by wreckers just to make hair pin turns. One truck a few weeks ago bottomed out and trailer frame dug into the asphalt on turn. Blocked the highway all day. They had to unload with a crane before wrecker pulled it free. It's a PIA to get around because you never know when you are going to have to back track to get around stuck trucks.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've seen a few of these videos through the years and I believe the one posted is one of the more popular ones. My question is, what kind of Signs, Warnings and Flashing Lights are there "Before" these bridges. Are there enough in reasonable terms? Or are the drivers that dumb? I would like to see some of the pre-warnings.

As an old trucker in my younger years, I was always "paranoid" about hitting anything too low, signs or no signs. As many of our loads were 13'6 and some of our local loads close to 14. My 20 Ft Flatbed also Dumped. Talk about watching for clearance, lol.

I also notice that many of these hits are Rental Trucks. Probably driven by many that never drove anything bigger than a station wagon.

·
Registered
28,731 Posts
Hy-way 90 overpass on hy-way 14! Here in New Iberia!

I can't even begin to say how many flat-bed drivers lost back-hoes and equipment just a tad to high on trailer! The latest was a dumpster on a flatbed trailer! Everyone of these drivers get a ticket! Sign's big time! Nobody can read!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
925 Posts
Here in KY a National Guard heavy equipment unit was hauling their equipment to a site 90 miles away for their two weeks active duty.

Lowboy with big loader was headed down the interstate and sign said he had 2" of clearance so he didn't slow down.

But the highway folks had just resurfaced the road without changing the sign.

Two bolts on the top of the loader hit the bridge. Big mess!

Then at the end of their training they were headed home and same thing happened in the other lane :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
As the song says "What was he thinking".

My company runs chemical tankers and they would not fit under that one. My old gas tanker I drove back in the 90's would have fit but just barely.

·
Registered
14,835 Posts
Actually the driver missed a SIGN a half a block before the Bridge, it read " Don't forget to let air out of your tires." :rofl:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
LOL...he must have been 11ft 9 inches.

redhawk

Reactions: lever30
1 - 20 of 27 Posts