Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Crazy, crazy - my experience with copperheads and cottonmouths have been the exact opposite.
The copperheads I encountered on the farm (west of McKinney, TX) or the Mississippi Delta were on the docile side. I rarely had one strike at me unless I REALLY disturbed it.
Cottonmouths on the other hand seemed to ALWAYS be looking for a fight! Where I found them in Texas and Mississippi, they were usually shot on sight - BEFORE they had a chance to strike or get close enough to strike. The majority of the cottonmouths that I've shot were coming to Me!
When jigging for crappie amongst the cypress in the spring time in Mississippi, the cottonmouths could be a serious problem at times. I remember seeing a fellow shoot six holes in his jon boat when a big ole cottonmouth dropped in to join him. Luckily, he wasn't far from the bank. I did help him plug those six .38 holes in the bottom of his boat. It was kinda comical - in retrospect.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Every May they start coming out of their winter dens and gather in large numbers. Every May I go out among them to take their pictures.

These are not snakes. :D

Nice to see they all get along so well together . I imagine one would really have to watch where you’re stepping in that place! I take it they hibernate in winter?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those cottonmouths, aka water moccasin, would be targets for my Colt 22mag pistol. We have plenty of them here in Louisiana including additional pit vipers like copperheads and canebrake rattlesnakes. Only poisonous snake in LA with a round pupil is the coral snake with the following identifying color pattern (red and yellow kill a fellow; red and black friend of Jack or venom lack - color patterns touching). I’ve killed them all and once a rattlesnake to close for comfort while squirrel hunting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every May they start coming out of their winter dens and gather in large numbers. Every May I go out among them to take their pictures.

Nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
11,711 Posts
When I was stationed at Ft Fisher NC I used to catch snakes for a guy named Jerry who ran a place called "The Tote 'em in Zoo" up the road in Wilmington. I met Jerry selling tropical fish.
He had massive snake pits. The reason he kept snakes was he sold the venom to the folks that use it to make anti-serum.
I used to make a tidy sum catching rattlers and cottonmouths. I only brought in two copperheads. Reason is the aforementioned wild behavior. I either had to run away or kill them they were so wild.
I had a reputation in my neighborhood made by a copperhead. My landlord, who lived across the street, called me to get a snake out from under his tree where he was trying to mow. I happened to have my Old Timer hunting knife on my hip but I was shirtless and bare footed with a noose pole to pick up the snake. I figured it was a garter snake or something. I used the pole to move the grass clump and holy moley! It was a monster copperhead and he struck as soon as I brushed him with the pole. Now picture this - I saw him coiled and ready and I KNEW he was going to strike. I jumped straight up with my legs out to the side, whipped the knife out of the sheath and threw the knife lopping off it's head at the end of its strike which was between my legs. I couldn't have done that on purpose had a million dollars been on the table.
I picked up the snake (yes I was shaking from adrenaline) and it was a 7 footer. My landlord looked at me and asked "you do this often?".
After that the neighbors called me "Jungle Jon". lol.

BubbaJohn Ross Allen bought snakes from the locals for years. He used a lot of them in his snake show at Silver Springs. He was some kind of man. He started the Seminole village back years ago at Silver Springs and worked on movie set there like Tarzan and the Blue Lagoon. He was a great business man and had his hands in many things that were successful at Silver Springs. It was a national attraction until Disney opened in Orlando and the interstate took people past Ocala on the West side as they headed down south to see fake nature. Back in those days Six Gun Territory was close by as well.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The moccocins we have around here start out lighter like the pics in the start of the thread. Then they turn almost black as they mature. They are the only snake that I've come across that will try to chase you down. They turn into turtle and gator food quickly.
The rest of the snake variaties are just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Even though I am not a big fan of snakes, I am reminded of something the late Steve Irwin (aka, The Crocodile Hunter) said: "Isn't she a BEAUTY!"

Absolutely Wonderful Pictures, all of them! Thank you for sharing, 10Glocks.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Nice snakes. 44s and 45s will blow them clear into. When they are coiled up that’ll make about eight pieces out of them. 38 to 9‘s just punch holes through. I usually shoot rattlesnakes when out prairie dog shooting in the west. Dry and dusty. So the first shot kicks up dust and the snake disappears. I learned real quick to just run all six rounds out of a 44 revolver then step back and reload. When the dust settles there’s never enough left to put on the grill without falling through the grates. Just the way I like them.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts

Beauty!

Fishing farmers ponds as a teenager, barefoot and shorts with eyes wide open. Nothing more remarkable than a copper head that has just shed the old skin. Your cotton mouth looks like pretty fresh skin as well!

The critter that I kept a keen eye out for was the big snapping turtle sunning in the shallow grass. They can take a chunk out of you the size of a tennis ball in the blink of an eye. The snakes, they just moved along. The turtle just struck! They can look just like a rock. Oh, #2, the hornet nest deep inside the blackberry bush.

Nice pictures. Brings back fond memories.

Reactions: Ojaileveraction

·
Registered
17 Posts
alot of experience with cotton mouths and none of it good. been struck at many times. they do have an aggressive disposition. running a trotline one night and could see we had a pretty good sized catfish the way the line was moving. one of us lifted the line out of the water and was met by a mad striking cottonmouth. we got the heck outta there and came back in the daylight but he had escaped. glad to be living where rattlesnakes are our only viper.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts