Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Riflemen: This might be a simple question or it may have not gotten much attention from anyone. I'm not interested in caliber coversions just a simple handloader question. I beleive that the 356 and 358 Winchester brass are exact duplicates of each other. I know that their external dimentions are the same except for the rim. I have heard that the brass of the two is made of different thickness but I think this is false. Can any of you give me the exact volume of these two cases. to the top of the neck. thanks, Bestlever

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Bestlever,
I called Hornady and spoke with the Tech there. He did not think there was any difference in case thinkness. I have a call into Winchester waiting on a call back from their tech dept. Will let you know what I find out.

He is my tought, they both shoot the same dia bullet. If the case was thicker on one vs the other it would be difficult to chamber to shoot out of the same dia barrel. I could be wrong. We will see what Winchester says.

G

·
The case could be the same dimension on the outside and in the neck are . But down towards the base the brass could be thicker with the same outside dimension :!: Easiest way to find out would be to take a 358 case and a 356 case fill them both with water ,then measure the amount of water in each case for comparison. That will give you an inside volume measurement just remember to use the same brand case as you will find the same cartridge from one brand to another will not be the same :?

·
Registered
555 Posts
The 358 win. case capacity with a 250 grain bullet seated normally,is about 47.4 grains of water.And the 356 win case with a 250 grain bullet seated normally, is about 44.9 grains of water..

both were winchester cases....The speer #13 reloading manual states
Although the 356 shares most external dimensions with the 358 winchester.The 356 has heavier walls that reduce its case capacity.
I hope this helps...

G

·
deerdown444 said:
The 358 win. case capacity with a 250 grain bullet seated normally,is about 47.4 grains of water.And the 356 win case with a 250 grain bullet seated normally, is about 44.9 grains of water..

both were winchester cases....
If both cases were made by the same manufacturer and the OAL is the same I would say that the 356 is thicker down towards the base....buts thats only my opinion :!: But why even seat the bullets fill the cases to the top and take the bullet out of the equation :?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
According to Cartridges of the World, the two cartridges are dimensionally identical inside and out, except for the rim. The .356 is .503" rim, and the .358 is .473" rim.
I quote CotW: "Although it has been reported that the .356 Win has thicker walls than the .358 Win. measurements do not verify this."
The .358 is much faster, with more energy, but still the same internally.
Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts