Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering...how many use a sling on their 336 and who doesnt? also whats your reason for which ever you choose? i always had a sling on my bolt gun but now that i have started rifle hunting again, with a 336, i dont know that im gonna use a sling. my reason- i got a 336 as a woods carbine. my max shots even out in the open are 125yrds. when i toted a 270 i always had it on my shoulder and honestly i missed my chance at a few bucks, simple b/c i couldnt get my rifle into position for a shot. also seems like adding a sling would eliminate some of the manueverability characteristics that i like in the 336. but as with anything a carbine can even get heavy after slipping thru alabama creek bottoms all day:)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I came up with a rig for my LTD as a one point sling. I do not know how those AR fellas keep the strap on their body...but I came up w/a set up that I use hogging in the marsh hammocks. I have a velcro strap around the grip(yea it's not great..) and a single attach point to it...over my shoulder and clipped to my jeans(now to a double strap suspender(and I look goofy in suspenders))
It carries the gun high and I can keep a bent wrist over the top of the stock. I do this on the LTD and my .44 both having straight stocks. I get max flexibility which I need as were I hog you go from 0-100 in 2 seconds and I have complete freedom to swing and rest.
Tree stands and the like I remove any strap.

You should google the Youtube vid of fast shooting a 45/70 for a bear charge. It shows how fast a lever can be brought to... bear.
cw

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use one on mine. It's nice to have when you feel like throwing it over your shoulder. Plus, when you get your deer, it easier to sling the gun and drag your deer out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i gotta ask....is the white and brown dot on the buttstock where you drill to install a stud?

·
Registered
54 Posts
No. I've heard it's called "the bullseye". Not sure if there is a real purpose for it. Perhaps it's just decorative. But I wouldn't put it there. Mine is secured between it & the but plate.

Oh, there are plenty of slings that are detachable. The one I use has some Uncle Mike's swivels that you depress a pin & it easily unhooks.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The Marlin's Bulls eye is decor only.
Ss

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
b.m.b said:
so i gotta ask....is the white and brown dot on the buttstock where you drill to install a stud?
It makes the Marlin stand out on a rack from Winnys and also lets you know it's a walnut stock.. NO don't drill it the stud for the swivel goes behind that toward the butt .. about 1'' or so if I recall correct..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats interesting. i never knew it was decorative. i noticed that in all pics everyone puts the stud below it.....i always thought" why dont people use the spot thats already marked for them" hahaha, glad i asked.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what about the front swivel??. the forearm band doesnt have a stud. so i would need to put it on the mag tube. are there any half bands or just full bands? the reason i ask is i wouldnt want to jeopardize my guns zero....i have it set perfect for the saturday opener.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of rig you are using?

I know my swivels disconnect so I can "to sling, or not to sling, that is the question." ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont have anything on it right now. im talking about the studs themselves. mine doesnt have the stud on the forearm band or in the buttstock. so i know i need a mag tube stud band....but i dont want to go and disassemble and lose my zero....just to put a swivel stud on. but i just wondered if they made a half band like i have on my browning lever.?

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Don't read into this forum to hard. You aren't going to change your zero by pulling the wood off. If you subscibe to all that non-sense and it makes you feel better, leave the band and tube screws a bit loose.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Jake even with pulling the end sight and band off and apart? mag tube wants to fall off at this point as you rip your hair out and foam at the mouth. :eek:

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Why would you take the sight off to replace the barrel band?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a sling, I use it to steady my aim by wrapping it around my left arm, it's handy to use if you get tired of holding it, plus it just looks cool!! I got the 1 inch leather sling that has the Marlin logo on it. 8)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
8 piont said:
I have a sling, I use it to steady my aim by wrapping it around my left arm, it's handy to use if you get tired of holding it, plus it just looks cool!! I got the 1 inch leather sling that has the Marlin logo on it. 8)
+1, I also use to steady the rifle when shooting and to carry when walking. It's nice to be able to put on your shoulder and get it out of the way when dragging a deer out of the woods. ;D Or to hang the rifle on a branch when gutting a deer. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Jake said:
Why would you take the sight off to replace the barrel band?
I would like to see the answer to that one, too.

Why do you need to disassemble the gun to attach a mag sling stud? All mine just clamp on, tighten one screw, job done. Worry about something else.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts