Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be reloading some 45-70's soon for my new to me 1895ss from 1999. I cast some NOE .460 FN plain base for some light to moderate loads. They pop out of the mould at .461 with my alloy of 50/50 soft/wheel weights.
The question is: Has anyone tried .461's unsized out of a similar era 1895? I have a Lee .457 sizer that I could open up if need be.

By the way, that NOE mould is the BOMB! It made a pile of boolits in a hurry! Can't believe I waited so long to cast my own......:hmmmm:

This is useless without photos, so:

Thanks,
Mick :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Utah. I will get around to slugging the bore to know for sure, but I really don't need to get too scientific with this......I'm just gonna try 'em. :)
For now I just need a 100 yrd. light deer load.

Mick

·
Registered
638 Posts
If the loaded round chambers without a problem then I am sure you will be in Good Shape.

I would also like to add that if you are going to fire these cases in the same Rifle then there is no need to do a complete full length resize. Just size them enough to chamber smoothly in said Rifle. This will help with Brass longevity as well as accuracy.

But No Matter What Have Fun. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice looking bullets, especially if you're new to casting!
The question is: Has anyone tried .461's unsized out of a similar era 1895?
yes, I have. And they were way too big. I have a similar era 1895SS (sorry not digging into the safe right now for an actual date) and I bought the mold and sizer too soon... Mine takes a max 0f .4595". Very annoying as it slugs at .460". I'd definitely hold off loading heaps before you get the rifle. Load a dummy with a 461 and chamber it (or gentry try to with the bolt out and your fingers - you don't want to force it home only to have ejection problems). You'll need either fired unsized brass or a custom/large expander. Or maybe push it right down so the wider shoulder expands the case.

If it fits easily and freely you're good to go, if not you'll have to open that sizer up. It's all backwards because you don't know you've opened it as wide as you can until you go too far! Need another die really...

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have a 1996 1895ss and I have loaded and shot up to .461 diameter cast (350g WNGC a friend cast them for me and IIRC they are from a ranch dog mold). I am using Starline brass and a Lee FCD.

BB

Reactions: theMickster

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! I love this site for its depth of knowledge and everyone's willingness to share. BTW, if anyone has any interest in casting, DO IT. It's not too complicated. The guys over at the Castboolits site will help you as well.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My plan is coming together. I was out today running errands and stopped by Bass Pro to check powder. I do this at least once a week. I usually find unless I'm loading 50BMG I'm out of luck.
Today was different! I left with 3 bottles of Red Dot. FINALLY! I've been looking for pistol or shotgun powder for 3 months to make reduced loads. It's about time.....

I did a little experiment with a dummy round. I expanded the case mouth and seated the NOE .460-350 gn. only half way. It chambered with a slight push on the lever. I ejected with a little less pressure. The round showed it was forced a little in the throat but I could not detect any rifling marks on it. This tells me again that I should load a few up and shoot unsized and let the results speak. I'll update when I have some concrete results.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It chambered with a slight push on the lever. I ejected with a little less pressure. The round showed it was forced a little in the throat but I could not detect any rifling marks on it. This tells me again that I should load a few up and shoot unsized and let the results speak. I'll update when I have some concrete results.

So there was some resistance when chambering? I'd be pretty cautious if so - there MUST be some room for the case to expand, like absolute minimum of .001", otherwise you'll get a pressure spike. Might be ok purely for very reduced loads but not hunting loads. Not sure how much force you mean but not-a-slip-fit would have me sizing bullets. You really should do it with your fingers and the bolt out otherwise you don't know where the binding pressure is coming from - the mechanism or the round.

Unless your case was so large it was what was binding and the bullet was still a little loose?

This is one of the fundamental basics of reloading - neck must have room to expand

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dummy I made and seated all the way slipped right in. The one I left long (the first lube groove and drive band out of the case) contacted the throat and bore. I guess I didn't let on that I made two dummy rounds. One was to specs and lightly crimped with a Lee FCD. Thanks for looking out for me.
Mick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.