Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An argument can be made quickly that the right lever gun can keep up with a modern assault rifle…. I have both and think it is a very interesting comparison. I know this group might swing to the lever side.

Power- I would say equal because they both can be cambered in light to heavy rounds.

Size/ Weight- I would give the nod to the lever

Action- I am a manual guy, giving nod to lever

Rate of Fire- would say that the cowboy action shooters could keep up with semi auto, but I could not so I give it to the assault

Rate to reload- having loaded clips on hand would give assaults the nod, but without pre loaded clips I would say a tie.

Price- lever

I also think having a pistol and a lever in the same caliber is a big plus for the levers. And personally I would be able to use a lever for much more chores than just a SHTF gun like the assault rifles.

I am playing with the idea of selling my stock in assault rifles and investing in levers…. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
255 Posts
While the lever gun is more than capable of self defense, it is no substitute for a semi auto. I'm sure there are a few cowboys that can dump an entire tube in the blink of an eye, but for most, a semi will be much faster.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
I have to give it to the black gun if all things are equal, unless you only had 1 mag than I would want the lever gun!!!

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
No speed loaders just a gun with 1 mag or a lever gun!
I will take the lever gun, and the Stripper! After that you guys can fight the battle, I can be doin the Lovin!!! :marchmellow::biggrin:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It is the original assault rifle.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
rifles of equal power calibers, there will not be a lot of difference in rate of fire, with assault rifle having a slight edge. (proved at our club in competition). The real edge comes with mag changes which is an advantage of assault rifles and should not be dis-allowed just to try and make the comparison more equal

I do however, firmly believe that rate-of-fire is no substitute for marksmanship.

Having military experience but no combat experience I will defer to those that do.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Keep one or two of the autoloaders, the best ones, the ones you're most comfortable with, the ones that are reliable (I'm guessing you don't actually own any assault rifles...assault rifles by definition being full auto, the liberals try to redefine the term but they are basically liars when they do that). Dump the rest.

Having a good battle rifle isn't only about being able to spray lead the fastest. Sometimes you want to be able to make accurate hits quickly and efficiently. What being able to have lots of ammo onboard (in a 20 or 30 round magazine) does is reduce weapon manipulations, which decreases distractions and allows you to devote more mental energy to staying alive in a defensive situation. The autoloading additionally reduces your thought in firing your weapon to only pulling the trigger. That extra mental energy is what may give you the edge to come out on top.

Always a good idea to have two of each for guns that you might want to rely on in a situation where you might be away from civilization for a while. The second is basically a full set of spare parts. Like the SEALS say: one is none, two is one.

You don't need a lot of levers, either. A .30-30 or two and a .35, .444, or .45-70 is good enough for most people's needs. Maybe a .338ME or .308ME if you're in a place where you need to be able to make longer shots (much over 200 yards). Maybe toss in an 1894 for good measure, particularly if you hunt in a lot of brush.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the opinions. I am just bored with my semi auto .223’s and stuff. They do not get any field time, just range stuff from time to time. I love my 1895 in 45-70 and think having a .357 and a .44 would be very fun and useful. I do agree that in a SHTF situation a semi gets the nod, that would be the only reason for me to keep the .223’s. The lever is just much more practical the rest of the time. I still think a guy could kick some ass with a lever in .357 or .44 J

·
Contributing Member
11,645 Posts
I've posted a lot of my thoughts related to this here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/general-gun-related-off-topic-stuff/80937-lets-talk-tactical-defense-zombies-oh-my.html

A lot depends on how you're defining the role of the rifle in question. As an old ground pounder there ain't no way I'd surrender an M16 for a lever for a main battle rifle. But, the odds of me needing an MBR these days is is probably just a touch more possible than the Mayain calendar end of the world prediction.

For home defense, I'll take a shotgun.

As someone who spent a number of years immersed in the tactical world, I can tell you, I don't own any black rifles. I just never saw the need in my civilian life.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
I'm sure that works best for you, Erik. I love my 336, too. I'm not quite as tactically versed, so I'll take every advantage I can get as far as what I keep in the safe, though. Maybe the founding principles of this nation that fostered a well armed populace, "a well regulated Milita, being necessary for the security of a free state...," are dead in everything but theory at this point, but I still like the idea of able bodied citizens owning and being proficient with the most capable battle rifles out there, if for no other reason than to give politicians something to think about at night.

I find the variance of vets' views on firearms interesting. For the most part I'm just running with what my dad, stepdad, and uncle taught me...dad was 3rd Infantry, stepdad a Marine, uncle 82nd Airborne. Maybe they were just expecting me to go into the military so wanted to give me a head start. But on the other hand my grandfather came out of WWII fairly against firearms ownership aside from the most basic necessities, even though he worked for a while building M1 Garands after the war, and wouldn't let my dad get a semi-auto .22 when he was a kid, and preferred I not bring firearms around him.

·
Premium Member
9,039 Posts
In a fan environment I would think that an AR,AK,FAL,M14, or any other number of military patterns would indeed get the edge. Semi auto would enable more accurate shots to be fired without displacing. In the same environ one would ideally avoid getting sucked into a drawn out firefight. If all I had was a lever or bolt action sporting rifle and the need arose, I would use it to my best ability. Either way, we would be rolling the dice when downrange is a two way street.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I like lever guns, but I don't know of any made to chamber 5.56 or 7.62. You mentioned SHTF, so the reason I point that out is, if the S truely hits the F, you aren't gonna stay static, and I don't want to have to move out with 100 lbs. of ammo. I'd kinda like to be able to pick it up from those who don't need it any more :biggrin: or share with my brothers. It is not likely you will be able to pick up 30-30 or 45-70 rounds from your oponents.

As 45BearGun says, the number of rounds you're sending down range doesn't mean squat if you aren't taking the time to make sure they hit where they need to. If you've reached the point where you are dumping rounds without aiming you are experiencing a true SHTF moment and have a better chance of scaring the bad guy off than putting him down. But it looks cools in movies :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The answer to this question, is the same as the answer to any question: It depends. The choice of weapons is dependent on the environment urban/open desert/mountainous/woods/thick jungle/indoors/outdoors, the number of opponents, arms types used by the opponents,their skill level, prevailing weather conditions, close range/long range. To choose the "best" weapon for any fight depends on a lot of factors, those are just a few. Regardless of choice of weapon, proficiency and accuracy under extreme duress at a given distance to target is a more reliable predictor of outcome than rate of fire (within reason). You can not miss fast enough to win a gunfight.

I suspect that's not really the question of the OP though. The answer to that is a lot easier. If you have guns that you don't use and you are not keeping them idle for investment purposes, then sell them and get guns that you will use and you'll be happier. One black rifle, pistol and ammo will be all that you can carry (along with every thing else you'll have to tote around) come the zombie apocalypse -- luckily they can't run worth a darn.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
I think for most situations the lever rifle would work fine. If I know trouble is comming I am getting out something better. Against common bad guys the lever is enough. against A trained military unit you lose no matter what you have. Take your pick!

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
An argument can be made quickly that the right lever gun can keep up with a modern assault rifle…. I have both and think it is a very interesting comparison. I know this group might swing to the lever side.

Power- I would say equal because they both can be cambered in light to heavy rounds.

Size/ Weight- I would give the nod to the lever

Action- I am a manual guy, giving nod to lever

Rate of Fire- would say that the cowboy action shooters could keep up with semi auto, but I could not so I give it to the assault

Rate to reload- having loaded clips on hand would give assaults the nod, but without pre loaded clips I would say a tie.

Price- lever

I also think having a pistol and a lever in the same caliber is a big plus for the levers. And personally I would be able to use a lever for much more chores than just a SHTF gun like the assault rifles.

I am playing with the idea of selling my stock in assault rifles and investing in levers…. What do you guys think?
Hey Ziptie,

Saw a GunSite video, several year ago. At a "tatical" rifle LEO class, one Sheriff had brought a old 30-30. He had a small shotgun bag to hold ammo. At the end of the class, they had about a 1/2 mile walk through course of fire. Engaging targets from up close, to 150yds or so. This Sheriff finished in the top three. All of his class mates had piddle dinks. (black rifles)

While walking through, the Sheriff kept topping off. Had a full tube on the last stage, and had not shot his 30-30 dry. Just buck horn sights, and as he was older, the rifle looked as if it may have been his grandfathers.

Now for answers. The rifle YOU are comfortable with. In my case the M-1 Garand. (can leave clips loaded for 60yrs) Choice two, 22-250 or 1895. Am comfortable with all three.

As for replenishing ammo, one would liberate opposition rifle and ammo. Bear traps are an excellent warning device, in the SHTF scenario.

Food for thought.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really appreciate all the great info and opinions. I will keep a mini 14 that I built up, so I can hunt varmints with it (can hit dog sized targets at 200yds all day). I am not a dooms day guy and do think having a semi is a good thing. I think I will just get a 1894 in .357. I love the idea of having a light quick rifle that is cambered the same as my trusty old S&W 19. Seems like a real practical useful set up.

1 - 20 of 328 Posts