Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a used .357 Smith and Wesson Model 27-2 with a 8 inch barrel. I plan to use it for hunting and target shooting...it's a bit large for CCW,..but you never know, I might take a notion to tote it around a bit...the 27's original deep blue finish has seen better days,..it has some holster wear, a few dings, a couple of minute pits, and a scuff mark on the cylinder; but the overall appearance is good and function appears flawless. I can't attest to the accuracy since I haven't shot it yet, but I imagine it will shoot just fine. Each cylinder bore lines up with the barrel. The bore is clean and bright and the cylinder face and frame interior shows little evidence of having been fired much if at all. The serial number dates it as having been manufactured in 1978.

I had a S&W Model .36 Chief Special refinished with W. E. Birdsong's Black-T coating. The Black-T is a flat smooth finish that greatly improved the M-36 appearance. And it also offers a higher degree of protection against rust and corrosion. It's often said that when you re-blue a firearm it can diminish it's value. With that in mind I'm undecided about refinishing the M-27 so I though I would get some opinions: would you leave it as is, refinish with Black-T, or perhaps send it to Smith and Wesson for a factory refinish (if S&W offers this service)? Keep in mind the photo of the M-27 looks a lot better than it does when viewed up close...it's almost impossible to capture the blemishes with a cell phone camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Since its going to see active field service, I don't think I'd reblue it, since it is just going to wear again. My revolvers with a pristine blue, have a way of staying in the safe, while the ones with worn blue see all the fun. Due to a general lack of current knowledge in the used S&W market, can't comment on the effect of aftermarket coatings on price.

Reactions: PWB

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
I don't know if S&W offers a refinish program, but I understand the love affair between a man and his guns.............

That said, many of my Colt Gov models are built on "Donor" guns, and I refinished every one I built.

Originality and collectibility are fine for the collectors, but when you're a shooter, hunter and Hiker, I think you look at things a bit differently......At least I do.......

To own a gun I'm afraid to shoot, or carry in the woods for fear of lessening the value is something I'll never understand............and yes, I understand investments.

Every year, a guy that comes to our Deer Camp talks on and on, about his Nickle Python.......but he never brings it!...........Actually, he did bring it once for Show and Tell, cuz I said I didn't believe he owned one....:biggrin:..........but he never let anyone handle it, and he certainly didn't shoot it!

If you want to refinish a gun that you plan to shoot, carry and enjoy...........Go a head, and make it what YOU want it to be!

Thats MY position, others may differ.........

Oh,.........Thats a nice looking M-27........

Tom

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
If I was going to hunt with it etc., I don't think I'd have it refinished, at least not yet and just use it. Looks pretty good in the picture to me, lol. If you're really worried about it being exposed to the elements and/or getting wet a lot, then maybe that other finish you mentioned might be in order....? As far as the value and all in doing that, if planning to keep it and maybe pass it on, I wouldn't worry about it if it were me. Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
PWB

Nice lookin wheelgun you have! Well I think you should do what YOU want to do to it..... If you think you would like to have it refinished, do it. Did you buy it to keep or resell? If your gonna keep it make it how you'll like it most! If your gonna resell than just keep it how it is or see if S&W will refinish it, but either way I wouldn't go with the aftermarket style Coating/Finish IMHO.... I would shoot it awhile and see how you like it before doing anything. If you like it decide than, if you don't than send it down the road and let the next owner decide what to do...

I have a 29-2 44mag, and its the 2nd gun I bought (1st was a SS Ruger Super Single 6) after getting my CCW permit. I just love the 44mag caliber and love this Smith 29, yeah mine has some bluing issues too, but it still looks very good for its age and where its been, but in all honesty it gets used a lot and I think if it was pristine it might stay home or take a backseat to a gun that CAN be used with less concern to get dusty/dinged or scuffed up some... I've thought of having it professionally refinished but have decided it has earned the finish it wears because its a gun that I use to get the job done and done well... So IMO, to have such a gun it will need to get out of the safe and into the field, so its gonna have some character from doing it and that's fine by me...

Decide what yours will do for you and than make your decision... Don't make it on being "Pretty" or "Showroom" condition. If its a show piece than that's all it will ever be, All Show and NO GO!!!! :vollkommenauf: IMHO....

Best of luck on your decision, and enjoy that fine lookin 6 gun.! :tee:
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to edit my original post and that didn't work out so here are the before and after photos....this is my M-27 after getting it back from the shop today;... minus 4 inches of barrel and with a Birdsong's Black T finish...I have some Hornady 180 grain FTX and Accurate #09 that I plan to work up some loads with. Anyway, here they are again!

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Although I would not have finished it,I still like the way it turned out.Very nice looking Revolver!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boobarzo: I had some reservations about refinishing, although you can't see it in the photo, it had a good bit of scuffs, scratches, and rusting...,so I decided to go ahead and have it done...finding someone that can replicate the original deep blue finish is almost next to impossible and it seems like I checked to see if S&W refinished firearms but it's a service no longer offered.

Golphin: The barrel was a bit long for my needs and since I was going to have it refinished I figured I may as well shorten the barrel... I also considered having it cut down to a 5 inch barrel, which is what Skeeter Skelton considered to be the best barrel length for a .357 magnum, it now looks like a Model 28 "Highway Patrolman", the first pistol I ever owned and used for work,...one downside to a 5 inch barrel is finding a decent off the rack hostler to fit it,..so I split the difference and make it a 4 incher...

Years ago I had opportunity to buy an unblemished M-27 Registered Mangum with the round butt and 3.5 inch barrel at a price that was well below it's value, at the time I was a lot younger, auto loaders were the fad and wheel guns were old school, so I tuned my nose up to it and walked away...one of those experiences I wish there was a redo button for!

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
If I was going to hunt with it etc., I don't think I'd have it refinished, at least not yet and just use it. Looks pretty good in the picture to me, lol. If you're really worried about it being exposed to the elements and/or getting wet a lot, then maybe that other finish you mentioned might be in order....? As far as the value and all in doing that, if planning to keep it and maybe pass it on, I wouldn't worry about it if it were me. Enjoy...
HA!..........AZ,....I understand your thinking, and its true in many cases, but I still feel differently!

If I'm going to lug a rifle and/or pistol around the woods all day, I want them to look GOOD, to my eye..............Then, I can at least sit and admire my guns and the work I put into them, when nothing else is going on in the woods, around me!........but that's just me..................

Tom

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
My 1949 Winchester got painted, the bluing was all but gone, and it had a healthy pile of rust.
Its a woods shooter, not a safe queen

·
Banned
16,605 Posts
WMD Guns in Stuart, Florida has a proprietary nickel-boron finish that received good reviews from outdoor writers. It's called NiB-X. The finish is flat silver, although they just started offering several colors of ceramic overcoat finish.

https://www.wmdguns.com/

WMD Guns
3070 SE Dominica Terrace
Stuart, FL 34997-5717
(772) 324-9915
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
From your pics I would say it turned out very good. Some purists would say different but from a practical standpoint 8-3/8 inch barrels are unwieldy and heavy. Something else to think about is those grips are too nice to beat up on a gun your going to shoot a lot and carry around. They look like what are called coke bottle grips or cokes for short. Some guys sell them off but they are numbered to the gun.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That's sweet!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From your pics I would say it turned out very good. Some purists would say different but from a practical standpoint 8-3/8 inch barrels are unwieldy and heavy. Something else to think about is those grips are too nice to beat up on a gun your going to shoot a lot and carry around. They look like what are called coke bottle grips or cokes for short. Some guys sell them off but they are numbered to the gun.
You're right about the 8 inch barrel...4 inches makes it a lot more manageable...the grips will be replaced with Pachmayr Decelerator grips,...not quite as pretty as the wood grips but they are functional. If they weren't so expensive I'd like to dress it up with a set of elk horn grips...maybe later,...for now I'll have to settle for rubber grips!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts