Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The saying "measure twice, cut once" by Norm Abram should be translated for reloaders to "read twice (or three or four times), load once! Loaded up some 230 grain XTP's with the data (powder) data for the 185 grain bullets.:banghead: Loaded (50) 230's with 5.8 grains of Bullseye, COL:1.23",WLP primers. Max load for the 185's per the Hornady handbook is 6.6 grains of Bullseye and doesn't list any data for 230 grains/Bullseye! Guess I was suffering from a major case of RCI!!! Any thoughts on this screw up? Safe to shoot (in a S&WShield)? Not safe? Should I just pull them and start over? Tried to pull one so far using the Frankford Arsenal puller and it's the biggest piece of junk in my reloading collection! Have tried pulling one or two bullets before (44/38sp) and it doesn't seem to grip the bullets tight, just pushes it back out! Any suggestions?

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Take a really good look at your right hand.

Would you like to keep it?

How about your vision?

Or maybe parts of the bodies of the people around you when you blow your gun on some over pressure loads?

Bullseye is one of the two powders that really scare me. The other is accurate #2. Get you a cheep RCBS kinetic bullet puller and use a solid anvil like a concrete garage floor. Easy peasy. We all make mistakes. Don’t compound it by making another one that is permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
You need to pull those unless the data can be verified as safe.
Never go by what you figure or someone says...you need to read it in print.
This is now Mauser action we're talking about.

When using an inertia puller, you need to hit it on something solid.
I have a block of 2" plate steel about 10 X 10" on my workbench I lay
a piece of 10 oz leather on. It works like a charm.
But I never need to pull any....LOL.

·
Registered
21,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I already knew the answer...was just hopin' to may have to go through it! Like you guys have said...better to be safe than sorry!

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
351 Posts
... best bullet puller I've used. So much better than the kinetic hammer thing.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

I have the standard Rifle and Pistol. Only mars bullet when they are super tough. Honestly,.. even the ones that get blemished a bit shoot fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,996 Posts
... best bullet puller I've used. So much better than the kinetic hammer thing.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

I have the standard Rifle and Pistol. On;y mars bullet when they are super tough. Honestly,.. even the ones that get blemished a bit shoot fine.
Thanks for that link! I'll be ordering those. Haven't had to pull many reloads of my own but over the years I have accumulated a bunch of "used ammo" that may or may not be someones reloads, some that are clearly marked reloaded, plus a pile of milsurp I need to dispose of. Looks like an easy and speedier way to safely get rid of this stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.