Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LNIB 1894s Marlin Limited in 45LC and it is the black sheep in my collection. It is my only short barrell Marlin that is not factory ported.

I know these guns can bring a pretty penny, but will it really kill the value if I decide to have it ported through Marlin (if they would do it for me).

I already know what 1895Gunner is going to say ;D

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
You're killing me...... You know I wanted that thing, she's beautiful. OBTW, I would port it. Any "good" gunsmith can port it just like Marlin would have. Then you would have a very rare Marlin.

Can you post a pic please, I'm having withdrawals.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I don't know that I'd trust Remington to do a proper porting job. Probally better off shipping it off to a reputable gunsmith.

Not sure what the porting would gain you on a pistol caliber carbine though.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Thren68 said:
Not sure what the porting would gain you on a pistol caliber carbine though.
It's all about the ported shorties. If you don't get it its okay, those of us that do will do just about anything to have em. ;D

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
If it was any other caliber, I'd say yes. But the 45 LC runs at pretty mild pressures, and really won't do anything but make the gun louder. Save your money. 8)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Don't do it!

Remington would probably chuck up an half-inch endmill in a hand drill, and ram it down through the top of the front sight.

With the hottest of the hot loads I've done in .45 Colt, the recoil seems to be approaching the higher midrange .30-30 loads.

Now, if you were to thread the muzzle to accept a sound suppressor, THAT would be a cool project to watch!

Jon

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Last I heard, Remington was modifying a multi spindle post hole digger on the back of a backhoe to do "aftersale" porting..........

With all the gun companies they are trying to move into Ilion, they ran out of machines that they know how to run, and also floor space was in short supply.........So........I heard they rigged up a special post hole digger on a backhoe, and are now doing the "after sale" porting out in the corner of the back parking lot, but only on sunny days....................... ::) ::) ::).........and I was told they have a lot of new help that really knows their way around a Backhoe, too...............

For a little added $$$, they will then dip the whole rifle in "camo film" of your choice.......

Seriously,..............If you port that rifle, you'll destroy all the resale value of a rather rare rifle.

But then,...........Them Dudes at remington with that Backhoe are just dyin' to test out their new multi spindle tools..... ;D ;D

Tom

·
Registered
433 Posts
I say no. Marlin doesn't have a custom shop, so I'm guessing they would say no.
What's the point? It will be louder..... ???

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Huh? Did someone say something? Why I can't hear a dang thing! ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Porting a 45 colt? I can understand the high power calibers and maybe even the 45-70 but seriously, how much muzzle jump and recoil dose any rifle in pistol caliber have? I have shot some pretty stout loads from several different 1894 rifles and none of them have much kick or jump. I would rather spend my money on a good sight, scope, or some other accessories than putting holes in my barrel and sending sound waves a mile away.

My brother had his Weatherby 300 mag ported and it may have helped to dampen the recoil but even with ear protection it was still a loud blast. :eek: My 270 unported sounded like a 22 lr. compared to his ported.

A ported 45 colt would be the same as a set of headers on a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine. IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Come on, can't you see the fun in it? ;D

All go, and no mow. ;) ;D ;D

I guess I out grew some things. ;D

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Save your ears!! If it kicks get a recoil pad. I had a ported guide gun. I shot one round while hunting (no protection) and sold it the first opportunity I had. I have one ported gun, a Mossberg 12 gauge, and I have it on good authority that it is the loudest gun in the world!

I'll never sell the Mossberg though. The porting is the Vang Comp system. That is the gun they will have to pry from my cold dead fingers... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I see a sort of consensus floating around that thinks the 45 Colt Marlins should be considered a very mild recoiling rifle, which should be shot gingerly with SAA loads but I also see where there are some people (and ammo companies such as Buffalo Bore and others) who say very stout loads are capable of being put through the 1894 45 Colt. It is weird to me that load books like Lymans say right in their warnings about the 45 Colt (in Marlins and Rugers) that the brass is weak, and thus shouldn't be loaded to anywhere near the levels that the 44 magnum is while others are saying the brass is just fine for stout loads and that they do kick hard and perform well in the light weight carbines. Since I now own a 1894 45 Colt (that has the identical action as the 44 magnum) as well as a Ruger BH in 45 that I am going to get to the bottom of this in my own mind in the coming months and put both rifle and revolver to the test by slowly working up some thumpers, 325gr+ up to the 30k CUP range (or until accuracy suffers). I don't know if ports would be needed or not on the Marlin, I doubt it but I should think that a better recoil pad might be in order!
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/marlin_1894.htm
http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Recoil is very subjective, and you can develop a tolerance for it also. Even big game hunters don't start with a 470 Nitro Express! Maybe you should see how it shoots for a while? 45LC is a pistol caliber after all. Hot 45LC loads maybe stout as a bear in a handgun, but may be tame as a kitten out of a carbine with regards to recoil. You may even find you don't need the recoil pad either. If you try a variety of loads from mild to wild in your new gun and find recoil to be unpleasant, I think YOU will be in the best position to know how to proceed - regardless of the consensus.

My $0.02.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
T-Bone said:
Recoil is very subjective, and you can develop a tolerance for it also. Even big game hunters don't start with a 470 Nitro Express! Maybe you should see how it shoots for a while? 45LC is a pistol caliber after all. Hot 45LC loads maybe stout as a bear in a handgun, but may be tame as a kitten out of a carbine with regards to recoil. You may even find you don't need the recoil pad either. If you try a variety of loads from mild to wild in your new gun and find recoil to be unpleasant, I think YOU will be in the best position to know how to proceed - regardless of the consensus.

My $0.02.
True enough. I really don't know what to expect in regards to recoil. I have some 335 gr loads I bought in a store which belt pretty well in my BH but I haven't shot them in the 1894 because they wont feed the very wide metplate. I have been meaning to chronograph them out of my Ruger but haven't as of yet. As of now all I know about recoil in the 1894 45 Colt is what I have read. ::)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts