Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of putting a scout scope on my 1895GS. I have a rail coming for it from Bill2311. Some like em some don't. I'm used to shooting with both eyes open with longbow & compound as well as rifle scopes.
What's your positive feedback for the scout setup?
Thanks, trad

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I played with many sight and scope options on my 1895 the first 2 years I had it. Never liked anything till I tried the xs rail with a cheap leatherwood bdc reticle long eye relief scope. It is spot on for my EK load and has not needed adjustment in years. I really like the set-up for the kind of up close and personal hunting in the thick brush of eastern NC. don't need much magnification, definitely need both eyes open if your stalking on the ground (big bears and wolves around) and easy on target once you get used to it. As far as balance and weight....well when your carrying a 45-70 in the woods................ is that really a concern?

So give it a whirl, if you don't like the set-up it will be easy to sell round here.................I'll trade you some see through mounts if you don't like the set-up.:bebored:

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm old and had a tough time getting accustomed to the "scout" style of mounting the scope so far forward. I just went back to the normal mount and scope. I guess it's true what they say about old dogs and new tricks. Or maybe I'm just getting older and lazy.

Corrected to say: LAZIER

·
Registered
509 Posts
My 77 yo eyes took to a scout setup just fine. Not much different than a red dot. The only problem I had was a really close encounter < 10 yds. couldn't tell where on the critter I was aiming. A lower power scope would take care of that.

With that thought, Leupold makes a 1.5-4 X 20 VXR scout scope that should cover everything you'll likely encounter. And it has a adjustable brightness red dot at the crosshair for those low light situations.

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
My 77 yo eyes took to a scout setup just fine. Not much different than a red dot. The only problem I had was a really close encounter < 10 yds. couldn't tell where on the critter I was aiming. A lower power scope would take care of that.

With that thought, Leupold makes a 1.5-4 X 20 VXR scout scope that should cover everything you'll likely encounter. And it has a adjustable brightness red dot at the crosshair for those low light situations.
They did not make a VXR 1.5-4x20 scout but do make a VXR 1.5-5x33 scout that sells for around $600. If you mean the VX-2 1.5-4x20 scout then that model was discontinued last year. I bought one on clearance for less than the fixed model but thought it was too large and heavy for a scout scope.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have a Ruger GSR with the Leupold 1.5-5 Scout Scope. Easy to shoot with both eyes open. I also had my first 1895M set up with the XS rail and Leupold single power scout scope. May do that with my current 1895M if my right eye doesn't improve.

Both eyes open is a plus, especially with a weak right eye. With pistols, I shoot with my left eye dominant.

It does add some weight, but with a 45-70 it kinda helps IMHO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
122 Posts
Opps "wrong tube". It is a mount for accessories like a flashlight or laser. Anything that would fit on a rail. Was made by Wild West Guns back a few years ago.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Reactions: Victor N TN
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.