Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my grandfathers 336A, 24 inch bbl and half magazine 30-30. S/N f128xx. The gun is in pretty decent shape, and the question I have is would it be OK to have it drilled and tapped for a scope, or would that just destroy any value the rifle may have? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I would not. Use it as intended and get a newer model for scoping. While I do agree that guns are tools, certain models should not be modified. I am searching for one as you describe and would pass on an altered offering.

Papalote

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't drill and tap that rifle, there are plenty of newer models that are scope ready. Maybe try a reciever sight on the older rifle, they are quite an improvement over the factory sights.

·
Registered
159 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO- please do not drill that 1949 beauty you have. Leave it in its original condition and I agree with the above comment about installing a receiver sight like the Williams FP if you want.

I don't know how old you are, and if you can appreciate this, but to have your grandfathers older Marlin is quite an honor. Use it as it is and as the years go by it may well become your favorite rifle both for sentimental reasons and for the reason of appreciating a version of a true American firearm that is no longer in production and that was made before product liability was a concern.

Not only is your 3/4 magazine rifle somewhat uncommon, I think it is an "A" model - some one correct me please, it does not have the modern hammer block safety NOR does it have the trigger/sear interlock which I believe was introduced on the 336 models in 1956. This is the lever action in its truest form, no safeties other than half cock, no scope, just the tried and true iron sight that served so many for so long and so well.

Have fun with it and think about your Grandfather when you use it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
BLR,

I bet someone here on this forum would trade you any new-production Marlin rifle in the catalog, plus a new scope mounted and sighted-in, for your un-drilled 1949 model 336A in good condition. There might be someone here that would top that offer.

Please don't drill your grand-dad's old gun.

Live well

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
No way you drill that rifle!!!!! Papalote, 94cl218, and Old Wolf have given excellent reasons why not, I will not add to them but strongly agree!

Take it apart, clean it up and leave as is.

SS

·
Registered
482 Posts
BLR I have one a year older and from experience the Swiss Cheese look is not good! With that long barrel for sight radius and stability and the lack of 'junk' on the barrel shoot it some and see if you even need a scope.

BTW when did Marlin start factory D&T for a Receiver sight?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Here is my 2 cents, NO WAY! If you feel you need a scope go to Wal Mart and Buy a new Marlin 336 for $279.00 but leave that 336A just the way it is.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks OW,
My '48 is also set up for a receiver sight and I was wondering if that was factory or part of the Swiss Cheese Project. Some dingus in the past D&T'ed the side of the receiver for a scope mount. Yes SIDE of the receiver. I guess they owned a Winchester type mount or something. My 336A is for this and other flaws a shooter, excellent shooter but only a shooter. The plan is to fill the holes and reblue won't be perfect but will make me feel better.

Seriously BLR don't monkey with that particular gun. It may not ever be worth 1000's but they do not make any thing like it today and for using optics there are much better options in a levergun.

B.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
I've got a 336A 1949 in 32 special, this gun was drilled and tapped I bought it $100 cheaper because of this. Would I do this to this gun? No!Depends are you going to keep it? Pass it on to your family? Then I believe if it is a rifle that will be used if it is scoped and not used if left as is. I say make it a useful rifle, but before you get it drilled and tapped for a scope mount a reciever sight like the lyman model 66 and get a firesight for the front. The lyman has a removable aperature that makes it a ghost ring when no insert is in place. Most come with two aperatures one fine and the other coarse. I Drilled the coarse one on my lathe with the biggest drill that would fit without rendering it unuseful. If you find you don't like it with the reciever sight, then either drill and tap it or save if for someone along the line. Keeping your grandfathers rifle would be the thing to do, either way.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oldwolf said:
I think it is an "A" model - some one correct me please, it does not have the modern hammer block safety NOR does it have the trigger/sear interlock which I believe was introduced on the 336 models in 1956. This is the lever action in its truest form, no safeties other than half cock
My 1976 336C and my 1974 39A, both have ONLY half-cock safety and factory D&T.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for the input. I was a bit torn about the idea of drilling and tapping the rifle, and you guys confirmed what I new deep down. The 336A will stay original. I did find a williams receiver peep in my cabinet and I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
159 Posts
defcon9 said:
Oldwolf said:
I think it is an "A" model - some one correct me please, it does not have the modern hammer block safety NOR does it have the trigger/sear interlock which I believe was introduced on the 336 models in 1956. This is the lever action in its truest form, no safeties other than half cock
My 1976 336C and my 1974 39A, both have ONLY half-cock safety and factory D&T.
The 39, no trigger/sear safety. The 1976 336 will have the trigger safety.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts