Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a 1950 336 in 30-30 and am in constant debate with people about drilling and tapping this firearm for a scope. I don't own this gun so that it can sit on a shelf, I like to spend weekends at the range and my winters in a tree. I have Lyman peep sights and very tired eyes that often struggle to adjust to low light.

I would love to put a low powered scope on this firearm but have hesitated due to the pressure from anti D&T folks but thought to ask other 336 owners what they though.

Is there any functional reason to not D&T or is this argument all about aesthetics and tradition?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well LongIslandGiant, it's your rifle and if you enjoy hunting with it and have no plans on selling it to capitalize on any collectors value in the future, D&T, install your scope and continue to enjoy your 336. Don't worry about what other folks think. :santaclaus:

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
This topic is repeated over and over and one that will never go away. That is okay with me as I understand both sides of the issue. I bought a 1951 336A .35 Rem two years ago that looks like it just came out of Marlin's shipping department. I bought it from a man whose uncle left him his entire Marlin and S&W gun collection which was huge. I bought it knowing it had been sent back to Marlin in the mid-late 50's to be D&T'd for a scope. I preferred it to be D&T'd so I could put an old El Paso Weaver scope with old Weaver rings on it. At least that way, I would never have to make a decision to be D&T'd or not.

The way I look at it is this ... if you need a scope to hunt with your Marlin and you don't scope it, you bought it as an investment ...not necessarily a bad thing. If you D&T the waffle top, you have devalued one of history's classics. There are hundreds of members who would love to own a waffle top because we will never see them made again and if they are going to hunt with it, they will put a peep sight on it.

I've never had to make a decision like yours but if I ever run into a great deal on a Marlin waffle top, I don't think I could be forced at gun point to have it D&T'd. If I bought a waffle top to hunt with but needed more than factory sights to hunt with, I would first try a peep sight to see what I could wring out of it accuracy-wise. If I wasn't satisfied with the peep, I'd trade the rifle and peep for another old Marlin from the late 50's or early 60's in a caliber I wanted knowing I should get a nice trade for it.

Just my opinion ...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well LongIslandGiant, it's your rifle and if you enjoy hunting with it and have no plans on selling it to capitalize on any collectors value in the future, D&T, install your scope and continue to enjoy your 336. Don't worry about what other folks think. :santaclaus:
I completely agree. I buy guns for my enjoyment and not what they may be worth in the future. I have a 1915 DWM Luger that I shoot at least once a year because I like doing so. I have a 336 35 Rem ('77 I think) that I play with constantly. I removed the original sights and installed a receiver sight and fire sight front. I then removed the receiver sight and installed a scope as my eyes need it. I have kept all of the parts so after my demise it can be restored to original or, more likely, sold for a few bucks at a yard sale/wake/memorial. BTW I bought this rifle new from K-Mart.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Don't do it mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sell it to someone that will enjoy it as it is, and buy another that comes DT'ed for less.

Just sayin'

edit: Yes it's all about aesthetics, tradition and respect.

·
Registered
16,675 Posts
Okay I'll throw in on this one, cause I think I can help.

I know what it feels like to have a rifle that you have history with and enjoy hunting with- but find yourself less and less able to use it because it has aperture sights and your eyes are getting older.

I also know what it feels like to be reluctant to have holes drilled in a favorite gun, as well as being reluctant to deface an older Marlin.

The solution is simple. Buy another rifle that is already D&T. Marlins arent so expensive as to make this overlly difficult. Then the orginal rifle is still original and you have a new toy on top of that, a win-win situation.

All that being said, like the other guy said- its your rifle and what matters most is how you feel, not everybody else.

Good Luck Deciding this one!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
In the end it's really your decision. There's no functional reason not to D&T that I can think of, but the main argument against it is because they don't make waffle tops any more and probly never will again. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I did buy a 35 cal SC that was already D&T'ed and have no regrets about it. Moneywise you'd be ahead to sell that one and buy one already D&T'ed, but if it has a sentimental value that can't be replaced you wouldn't want to do that either. Maybe buy another one that is scope ready? You could keep the one you have and shoot it for fun, and still have one scoped for hunting. That would be my choice if it was possible.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just trade me for one that is. Problem solved. PM me and call it good.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
This 1953 model 336-A was after-market drilled and tapped; and since I can't see well enough to shoot without the assistance of a scope, it'd be as useless as tits on a boar hog otherwise. 53 model Marlins do not have "waffle tops"; but the real skinny that the purists here do not want to admit is that, had scope technology advanced to point that rifle scopes were popular at the time of the introduction of the Model 336 in 1948; then Marlin would have factory D $ T'd the Model 336 in 1948 instead of 1955. No one should ever do/allow a hack job to be done on any Marlin, but your Marlin is not a sacred artifact; so if mounting a scope will allow you to enjoy your rifle, then have it properly drilled and tapped so that you can Marlin.32 Special.Doe.10.22.11..jpg mount a scope and enjoy the piece!

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Invest in a climbing tree-stand, climb 20' plus up the tree and you'll never need a scope. The climbing tree-stand is the deadliest contraption in
a hunter's arsenal. Hand and face coverings are a plus too.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Okay I'll throw in on this one, cause I think I can help.

I know what it feels like to have a rifle that you have history with and enjoy hunting with- but find yourself less and less able to use it because it has aperture sights and your eyes are getting older.

I also know what it feels like to be reluctant to have holes drilled in a favorite gun, as well as being reluctant to deface an older Marlin.

The solution is simple. Buy another rifle that is already D&T. Marlins arent so expensive as to make this overlly difficult. Then the orginal rifle is still original and you have a new toy on top of that, a win-win situation.

All that being said, like the other guy said- its your rifle and what matters most is how you feel, not everybody else.

Good Luck Deciding this one!
yup , what Rooster said:biggrin:

·
Registered
354 Posts
While I am not usually a fan of altering older rifles I believe there are some reasons that support it.

I did it myself with a Marlin 1893 in 30-30 built in 1901 that has been in the family at least since 1930 and possible before. It was in very poor condition and sadly had a bore so bad that it would have made a freight train take a dirt road on a rainy night.

I tried all the tricks to make it shoot but there was just not enough rifling left. I decided to have it rebored to 38-55 and made a wall hanger with history into a shooter with history.

Its not an easy call but it is yours to make.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
To put it simple........

It's your rifle, do what you want. I don't ask for anyone's approval to do anything I want to do.....and neither should you!
(Yes, I'm married....to the same woman for 20+ years and I do what I want when I want....she's a great woman!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought this firearm for $350 and felt it was a great deal. Taking in your points, I'd almost rather trade it to someone that may appreciate the history more than I would. I have great respect for this firearm and the tradition of the waffle top, but I also find that I'm not looking for an investment gun.

I think I'll look for a worthwhile trade. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
To put it simple........

It's your rifle, do what you want. I don't ask for anyone's approval to do anything I want to do.....and neither should you!
(Yes, I'm married....to the same woman for 20+ years and I do what I want when I want....she's a great woman!)
Best answer here! I'm with you Steve. If the OP has to ask then he doesn't really want to do it! You could trade someone for a D&T'd model, but then you would loose your gun which probably has some sentimental value. Me....I have no sentimental feelings for guns. They are tools and toys. I buy them and use them...then I sell them and I buy more!:biggrin: Everytime I get one I say i'll never sell...I wind up selling it! Now if it was a pristine rare 120 year old model worth $5000...well thats a different story!

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I bought this firearm for $350 and felt it was a great deal. Taking in your points, I'd almost rather trade it to someone that may appreciate the history more than I would. I have great respect for this firearm and the tradition of the waffle top, but I also find that I'm not looking for an investment gun.

I think I'll look for a worthwhile trade. Thanks for your reply.
Don't. Drill and tap it, install a scope and shoot it. Why would you trade off a gun like that? I think a gun that isn't drilled and tapped is ridiculous. I'd never buy one. I may just start buying up all the waffle tops I can find and drilling and tapping them all!

Reactions: Abel

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Don't. Drill and tap it, install a scope and shoot it. Why would you trade off a gun like that? I think a gun that isn't drilled and tapped is ridiculous. I'd never buy one. I may just start buying up all the waffle tops I can find and drilling and tapping them all!

LMAO! You might become the most hated member here......more hated than Johnny Loco :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts