Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Savage/VALMET 330 a few years ago,,worked the cheek down to meet my short bull neck and did pretty good at sporting clays, goose and duck hunting..Found and bought a set of 20 ga. barrels for it, found a pair of 410er tubes to convert it into 410,, added a rubber butt recoil pad at the correct length of pull..LOVED most of it except the length of barrels and the impressed checkering that looked terrible..Needed to trim my shotgun number from 21 to a reasonable Needed amount..Since I had even have a pair of 12/28 inserts I decided to keep the one that had the greatest spread of usefullness..So I sent off the wood to a little lady here in Oregon who thought she could do a respectful job of checkering over the original imressed but unimpressive mess they sent it out with..She did a WONDERFUL JOB. As I write this it is at the gunsmith getting the barrels,both sets, cut to 24"s..NO CHOKE.............................. I have an idea that with full length wad columns in the present day shot shells,,the NO CHOKE is the way to go..Adde to that is the fact that the original muzzle loaders had no sign of a choke and even into the cartridge period many were likewise UNCHOKED but brough down the game ..
NOW the question,,Where do you stand on the subject??I do understand that MOST clay birders demand a choice of choke in order to DUST the clays and spend too much time fiddling with such decisions..On the other hand,,the same choke that DUSTS clay birds,,would turn that sweet tasting Pheasant into a leaded mass of unpalatable goo..Your observations PLEASE..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well,I'll be darned..i thought there might at least be a couple of ideas offered since this is a shotgun forum..Well no matter,it wasn't important anyway.Thanks for reading this..modoc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts