Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to reloading I'm not overly experienced, but am not a newbie either. However, after spending time on this website I've acquired some non standard calibers such as a 32 special and a 375 Winchester. Obviously ammo for those aren't as readily available as one would like, so reloading, and casting for those calibers, and possibly others has crossed my mind.

So with that being said what are the pro's and con's, along with availability of lead for casting? Also what is a good source of info for doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Todd

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I just started casting and I like it. It's nice just knowing you Don't Have To be at the mercy of buying Boolits. Another thing is you can cast'em/size'em them how you need'em sized...

Info here and on CastBoolits forum is great! Getcha a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook to....

Best of luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The answers to all questions on casting can be found here:

Cast Boolits

Inexpensive lead sources are drying up with the phasing out of lead wheel weights. Probably the most common replacement is range scrap. I would secure a reliable source of alloy before I invested a lot in equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
The price of lead and Lino type has gone up the last few years, but it is still available. Even if you pay a buck a pound for clean range scrap it's cheaper than buying jacketed bullets.

The two calibers you mention are prime candidates for cast boolits.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Cast as Much as You Can.
All 3 of my Marlins Shoot Cast Better Than Jacketed.
Maybe that's Just because I've Tinkered enough w/ the Powder & Boolits.
Besides I Find it Quite Relaxing, Castin' Up a Few Hunerd or So.
Sure is Rewarding to See Your Very Own Home Rolled Boolits go Into Nice Tight Lil' Groups.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lead availability will vary widely from place to place. I hold lots of lead in reserve, having roughly 100 lbs set back, cast into ingots, and more waiting to be recast, and I am always on the lookout for more. I have scored buckets of wheel weight, old plumbing fixtures, roles of old roofing lead etc. I also stop by the scrap yard and buy stuff that has been turned in as scrap.

The great thing about casting bullets is you can start without a huge initial investment. A small stainless steel pot from a thrift store, a Lyman lead dipper, an old muffin pan, and the mold of your choice will get you started. Any sufficient heat source, including your kitchen stove could be used, although I recommend a camp stove.

The most accurate thing I have found in my 4 ⅝" ruger vaquero 45colt is a 250gr flat nose cast from a Lee mold, over 40gr of black powder, with the bullet being cast from scrounged lead, mostly wheel weights, and is basically a *** alloy, but they do drop at .455".

I also refuse to use the term boolit, and I think it is the most retarded knuckle dragging mouth breather term I have ever heard thrust upon the world.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
"I also refuse to use the term boolit, and I think it is the most retarded knuckle dragging mouth breather term I have ever heard thrust upon the world."

UGGG,GRUNT,Grunt, SNORT, Huh ?:ahhhhh:
Can't Say That Too Loud 'Roundcheer.
It Makes the Cave Echo.....LOL
We B ********,
US58

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I also refuse to use the term boolit, and I think it is the most retarded knuckle dragging mouth breather term I have ever heard thrust upon the world.
I use it on the Cast Boolit forum, where it is a term of art. On other boards or in conversation, I agree it makes the user look somewhat less than intelligent.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Me likem cast Boolits! :biggrin:

Me makeem cast boolits! :biggrin:

Me choootem cast Boolits!

Mmmmm CastBoolits Goood! :marchmellow:

BloodGroove4570

·
Super Moderator
12,042 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Lets see, in order. Find new interesting fire arm / caliber. Purchase said item. Order Brass, dies, and a mold for said item. Already have powder & primer, only thing left is lead, usually some on Cast Boolits at around $1.00 a pound. Forget EBay, gold is cheaper. With casting & reloading there is no ammo shortage. WW

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Boolits. bullets, I use em both but only cast boolits/bullets :hmmmm:. What is not to like about boolits? It is part of the fun for some of us knuckle draggers and to those who may be offended, sorry and you can have it your way in your circle.

As to casting boolits/bullets, it is a commitment even as is reloading/handloading.

And just as there are "reloaders" who's goal is simply to load ammo that goes bang (well at least most of the time) there "handloaders" who take the process to a more refined and consistant level.

So it is with cast boolits. Your in the drivers seat and your attention to detail as to alloy, casting temp, bullet lube, boolit size, boolit to bore fit, etc. etc. will play a large part in your results.

Unless your simply lucky, your likely to find that it is easier to develop a nice grouping load with "J" bullets then it might be with cast boolits.

That is not to say that many of us don't shoot very nice and effective groups with our cast boolits, but as Handloading is a higher level of commitment then Reloading, effective results with cast boolits typically requires more attention to detail.

Just as with boolits/bullets, you can have it your way to at least some degree. For most of my handgun shooting, my casting would be not far above the "reloader" level, while for my 45/70 I am solidly in the handloader category.

I Have different goals and much of my handgun shooting is done for fun or practice for up close and personal possibilities, while my 45/70 is a hunting rifle and needs to preform at that level.

So saying all that, what are your goals? The answer to that question will play a part in the direction, to cast or not to cast, you should take. Possibly buying cast bullet is your answer.

Keep us posted as to your choice and direction.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
142 Posts
toad, I've been casting bullets for over thirty years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Have not bought a jacketed bullet in over 15 years. I have recycled a lot of bullets that I've picked up from berms on ranges where I've shot. There is a little extra satisfaction in using a bullet I've cast to kill deer and antelope. Got started with a Lyman pot and dipper on a Coleman camp stove and pan lubed the bullets. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get started. Of course I've accumulated a lot of equipment in 30 years. You should check out this web site. The Cast Bullet Association. I've been a member of that organisation for almost as long as I've been casting bullets.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the advice so far gents! As for why, I guess it's because I don't want to have to order bullets every time I want to load. As for equipment I have everything that I need except moulds. I've been pouring fishing boolits for 25 years and they range from 2-48oz! Thanks again!

Todd

·
Super Moderator
12,042 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice so far gents! As for why, I guess it's because I don't want to have to order bullets every time I want to load. As for equipment I have everything that I need except moulds. I've been pouring fishing boolits for 25 years and they range from 2-48oz! Thanks again!

Todd
Well if'n yor 98% there then why are you waiting? 20 bucks for a Lee 2 banger just to get your feet wet.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
"I also refuse to use the term boolit, and I think it is the most retarded knuckle dragging mouth breather term I have ever heard thrust upon the world."

UGGG,GRUNT,Grunt, SNORT, Huh ?:ahhhhh:
Can't Say That Too Loud 'Roundcheer.
It Makes the Cave Echo.....LOL
We B ********,
US58
Well then color me a knuckel dragger.... I use the term boolits all the time, It is a way to destinguish between something that was mass produced on a machine or something that I created with my own hands....
These are boolits:
boolits.jpg

These are bullets:
bullets.jpg

Doc

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I'd love to get into casting bullets, but I don't have a place to do it. I'd have to do it outside on my driveway....and in SC in the summertime that is NOT a pleasant thought! So, with that in mind WHERE do you all cast your bullets/boolits??

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Mazer,

I cast or smelt just inside the door to my shop. If such a thing as a rain storm blows in, it is a quick thing to turn off the heat and drop the door.

I set up a 20" window fan just behind my table that holds the OLD Coleman stove, the 40 - 45lb lead pot and the rest of the need "stuff". The fan is blowing away from the table, so the air movement if over the pot and away.

This works well, with the "walk through door" open to allow for the needed flow of air.

By the way wwmartin if you will wash well with a bleach solution, it will help prevent the mold growth :flute: :wink:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I have a 10X10 storage shed that I do all my casting and reloading in, I have multiple fans in there to keep the heat down and to blow over the casting pot facing the door. I cant cast as often or as long but I try when Im not hurting too much, Its relaxing and makes me feel like Im not usless... Thats a good thing at this point!

I am in the process of replacing all of my lead alloy because of the zinc issue I got when buying from a moron on eBay. I only have around 300lbs of Wheel weights that I smelted down myself over 3 years ago to use, all of the rest cant be trusted so I have to replace and either use the zinc'd stuff to make 00buck shot or sell to recoup money.... I cant see making over 800lbs of 00Buck

Doc

1 - 20 of 25 Posts