Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I was sitting in my Step Father in-law's sugar shack. He has a 12 by 15 pole barn that he cover's the sides with tarps in the winter time. He has a little wood stove for heat. In the summer he removes the tarps for ventilation. This is a great little barn that the family uses for get together's and cook outs. On the eastern front of the barn he has a full bench with a built in sink for food preparation. Larry always sets on a bar stool next to the sink. Just outside the shed there is a fig bush. We were sitting there having a cold one and watching all the bird's coming and going getting some fig's. Just below the counter top for the sink he keeps a metal pan full of dog food. He commented here he comes again. I said who, and he said watch this. A Purple Grackle, one of our most abundant species of black birds here in North Carolina flew into the barn and landed about 2 foot from Larry on the counter top. The bird had a red wiggler in its beak. The bird looked over at Larry who was sitting on his stool. The bird dropped the worm on the counter then hopped down on the ground and fetched him up a kernel of dog food and flew away. We both laughed and Larry commented that the bird does it several times a day. He then said he could not figure out why the bird always leaves him a worm. I told him the bird is telling you to go fishing because Purple Grackles prefer fish. Over on the Outer Banks these same birds grow twice as big from scavenging off the beach. Inland Grackles grow about the size of a blue jay and 4 miles further on the Outer Banks they get almost the size of a crow.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Different species. Common grackle vs boat tailed grackle (larger)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HIKayaker, I checked out the boat tailed grackle and I believe what we have in our area is the boat tailed grackle. We have very few females in our area. The common grackle appears more like females. I still believe the difference in size is what the eat. Thanks for the reply made me do a little research, which is always good for the soul. I use to believe that Kodiak Brown bears where different than grizzes but a last I was wrong again, same bear different diet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts