Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought an 1899B in .303 and after getting all the reloading components together and rolling a few rounds up for an initial outing, I realize I can't see the ol' iron sights as good as I used to. Are there any high visibility sights that would utilize the factory dovetails available? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have to use peeps and red dots and scopes now, getting old is great isn't it?

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Ditto on the peep and a dab of bright paint on the front sight. By the way, what did you load for the 303 ? I just bought dies and brass and plan on rolling some soon.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Same here.

Get a larger sized beaded front sight, and that will help, If it doesn't do the job, I'd suggest aperture sights, with a slightly wider blade style front sight.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Don't underestimate a receiver sight. They easily cut my groups in half.

When it comes down to it, 99s don't look bad with a scope either.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
849 Posts
tang sights make a huge difference, at least for my tired old '45-vintage eyes. a little tough to come up with, but not impossible, and yer 1899 is likely tapped fer tang er receiver sights--both kinds use them two holes on the tang 'bout 1-1/8" apart. i've got tang sights on my 1899 303, and a receiver sight on my 1899 22 hi-power; the 303 shoots better. as fer loads, mine likes a 190gr hawk bullet with 31.0gr of 3031 and a 180gr sierra with 30.5gr of 4320; haven't found a good cast boolit load for her yet.
mind yer topknot!
windy

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My 1899 has a Marble's tang sight and a lollipop front sight. It came that way.... from the previous owner. This works with my old eyes- shoots 1/2" group at 50 yds. I would consider a tang sight for it- find a good aperture size for you and see how it does. If that doesn't improve things then maybe add some color to the front sight.

Congrats on the rifle.

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've managed to get a front sight with a larger bead so hopefully that might make a difference. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Good luck and lat us know how it works. I love my 1899.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts