Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big feral cat was just on the back porch fighting with my pet rat catchers, I heard the commotion and headed out the door with my model 60 loaded with wildcat dynapoints. the feral critter was on the move, when I first lifted the rifle the cat was about 40 yards away, the rear light on my new truck was way to close to line of sight for comfort. I moved over a few yards and the cat was now at least 80 yards away. I had a fairly clear shot with tractors, trailers and a truck beyond me and the cat. I got off three shots and missed. I'm crushed. Made me realize how out of shape I'm am these days. In thinking about what happened, the cat was moving at a pretty good clip and I was probably moving thinking I don't want to put a hole in a tractor tire.
I realize I need to improve my hunting skills on moving targets any and all suggestions are appreciated. going after a moving cat is much different than shooting paper and metal flip flops and gongs and such.
maybe its way past time to mount my new rimfire diamondback on that model 60

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this feral cat is no joke, its been terrorizing the neighborhood for several months, it killed at least 7 chickens and three cats at neighbors house, it is about the size of a bobcat, it has a bobbed tail but it does not have the pointed ears. is there such a thing as a half breed bobcat? three neighbors have tried to kill it since about June, its a menacing pest that needs to be eliminated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are your cats fully outdoor cats? If letting them in at night is an option, you could try trapping the feral cat. Should be pretty easy to shoot once its stuck in a cage trap.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Hitting fast moving cats at 60-80 yards with a 22, Iron sights isn't an easy shot, especially when you're thinking about background impacts. I don't think I could hit that with 100% confidence either.

It sounds like its time to find a nice quiet place to hunker down and wait for him to get into position for a well placed, shorter range shot if you ask me.

There's no time like the present to make sure the 60 is sighted in well and as much practice as you can get in never hurts. a nice 4 power scope cant hurt either.

Good luck getting the little menace!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Apologies.. Wasn’t trying to make a complete joke.. although funny to watch I haven’t met a cat that could help themself around a wiggl’n laser pointer.

Mount the laser on something springy so it gets it’ attention and aimed somewhere near or in the above trap... worth a shot. now that was funny.

If he doesn’t like lasers you’re dealing with a real outlaw!

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a scattergun that takes 3 1/2 shells, if its path out of the yard were though one of the pastures that would be easy but it heads straight up the trail under the box truck then towards the barn the couple of times ive seen it. Maybe I'll make a perch up in the tobacco barn where I can have good clear view and shot and set out some bait for it out in the garden or some other open space.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
It is hard to keep in shape to shoot moving targets. My skills at shooting a moving target I am sure have deteriorated since I can't keep my skills up shooting jack rabbits, there just not any here in Kansas. You have the right gun for it though, the older I get the more I depend on a scope. A shooting game friends and I used to play was to attach a small balloon on a stick which is attached to a CHEEP remote control car. We used to do this in the California desert where there was nothing behind the target for miles. If you can find a safe place to do this it is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I am with Gareth, bait and patience. Lots of both. I am no expert on cats, but they have patches, and patrol routes apparently. Yours will be back when it thinks its safe.

Maybe, bait some meat on a upturned steel trash can lid, so any movement will make noise. Pick your firing point beforehand so you can approach it without being seen or heard if possible. Plan it. Be ready. Enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts