Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not proud to say it took me 22 years to start hunting but here I am. NY spring turkey season is almost over but I had to wait until after the semester and all my finals were finished before I did anything other than study.

That being said, any tips for a new hunter? I have the camo, a slate call, a small camp seat I've had a while, number 4 bird shot and an 870. Is there any other gear I should pick up before the weekend? And do any of you more seasoned hunters have any tips for a first timer?

I'll be in Orange County, NY if that matters

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
nope, just sit real still, those birds can see movement 100 yds or more away. decoys work if you have the cash. go scouting in the evening and use an owl call to get the turkeys to sound off in their nest. mark the spot come back in the am.

·
Super Moderator
12,382 Posts
Not proud to say it took me 22 years to start hunting but here I am. NY spring turkey season is almost over but I had to wait until after the semester and all my finals were finished before I did anything other than study.

That being said, any tips for a new hunter? I have the camo, a slate call, a small camp seat I've had a while, number 4 bird shot and an 870. Is there any other gear I should pick up before the weekend? And do any of you more seasoned hunters have any tips for a first timer?

I'll be in Orange County, NY if that matters
Well, you should be. Sharp groomed young man going to college, respectfully asking intelligent questions from 'experience' about a serious matter. Shows confidence in oneself and common sense. ............Gives me hope for America's future. That said, maybe with Elk and Deer I could offer help, but not Turkey. ...............Hang on, some folks here will be right along.

John

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Welcome to the hunting world. Being that you are new to the scene, there's a lot to be learned in the field that can't be learned in the classroom. Taking the hunter safety course is a start (requirement for a hunting lic.)

Sounds like you're hunting alone. Don't know your skill level. But being that you're a (bklyn) city boy, make sure you keep you're bearings. It's easy to get turned around/ lost in the woods if your not familiar with the area. Mark your vehicle spot on your cellphone GPS.
Spray your cloths down w/ permethrin bug repellant.
Turkeys have good eye sight. make sure you cover your face and hands (w/ paint or cloths.)

I don't ever plan on getting stranded, lost or hurt in the woods, but things I always carry in my hunting pack/bag:
A small flashlight/ headlamp & extra batteries
"portable" battery charging pack for cellphone (GPS mode can drain your cellphone quickly.)
pocket size first-aid kit
small pocket knife
lighter
550 cord
whistle
granola bars
water

You can add a lot more, but after a while it gets heavy & I like to break it down to the necessities.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
One thing about your gun and ammo.
You should shoot your gun at a big piece of paper/ cardboard
To see how it patterns, / were all the shot goes when it leaves the barrel. Set the target out at 35 yds
You can draw a Turkey head on the target, and see how many
Pellets hit the head, or center of the next.
Just because you have a ( Turkey choke) in you shotgun, doesn't mean you can shoot an kill a Turkey out at 60 yrs.
Please shoot at a few targets, an try to get shells that will put
5 or more pellet in the head and neck

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
FWIW all my turkey hunting was back in Kentucky but I never had good luck late in the season. Most of the birds have been educated by the early youth hunt then the general season where every bumbling bubba spent time in the woods. The further away you can get off the beaten path the better. Also birds tend to get more quiet as the season goes on so you may not hear as much gobbling as you would earlier in the season.

·
Registered
102 Posts
All good advice above. I would also suggest hunting with a well seasoned hunter if possible. Practice with that call until you can mimic the different sounds a turkey makes. A turkey can be scared away by crappy calling. With some time in the woods you'll hear the different sounds a turkey makes and when they do it. Practice the sounds you hear. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
if you haven't been exposed to guns the one thing I can add is safety first! it won't hurt to take a safety course. just remember that 870 with no4 shot or any other shot is deadly to any critter, especially the two legged kind. have fun but safety first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and WELCOME!

·
Registered
160 Posts
First off, let me say KUDOS for putting the correct priorities first and finishing your studies and semester. My daddy used to preach to me, first comes work then comes play. Seems like you learned that a lot quicker than I did. 2nd, I have to agree with all that's been said above, and have to add, learn every call that you can, what turns one bird on may make another hightail it. Different calls will work on different birds and even on the same bird as the terrain and location change. And I can't stress enough the need for SAFETY, a turkey and a person walking through the woods sound an awful lot alike. Identify your target and enjoy the great outdoors that GOD gave us.
jk

Reactions: ChrisZ96

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the hunting world. Being that you are new to the scene, there's a lot to be learned in the field that can't be learned in the classroom. Taking the hunter safety course is a start (requirement for a hunting lic.)

Sounds like you're hunting alone. Don't know your skill level. But being that you're a (bklyn) city boy, make sure you keep you're bearings. It's easy to get turned around/ lost in the woods if your not familiar with the area. Mark your vehicle spot on your cellphone GPS.
Spray your cloths down w/ permethrin bug repellant.
Turkeys have good eye sight. make sure you cover your face and hands (w/ paint or cloths.)

I don't ever plan on getting stranded, lost or hurt in the woods, but things I always carry in my hunting pack/bag:
A small flashlight/ headlamp & extra batteries
"portable" battery charging pack for cellphone (GPS mode can drain your cellphone quickly.)
pocket size first-aid kit
small pocket knife
lighter
550 cord
whistle
granola bars
water

You can add a lot more, but after a while it gets heavy & I like to break it down to the necessities.

Good luck

An Eagle Scout from Brooklyn. I've spent enough time outside the city to know that I fare better in dirt and woods than concrete and buildings. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you haven't been exposed to guns the one thing I can add is safety first! it won't hurt to take a safety course. just remember that 870 with no4 shot or any other shot is deadly to any critter, especially the two legged kind. have fun but safety first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and WELCOME!
I'm good with a gun, I grew up shooting and they taught me safety at scouts. I'll never forget the last time I put my finger on the trigger before I was ready to shoot: I got a gentle but firm slap to the back of my 11 year old head and heard "What did you do wrong?" I had some good mentors, they raised me well

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
An Eagle Scout from Brooklyn. I've spent enough time outside the city to know that I fare better in dirt and woods than concrete and buildings. :cool::cool:
That's very good. That is an excellent start.
I use to live in NYC. But moved away a long time ago. I have friends that are hunters (taught by their dad & grand-dad that had a cabin upstate).
When I was young I learned a lot about hunting from season hunters & being in the woods.
I am passing on that knowledge onto my kids.

Good luck on your turkey hunt.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I too hunt NYS... Ussually this late in the spring season, the Toms start getting quiet, but this year is proving to be different. Most of my hunting co-works are in agreement the very wet May has played havoc on the Hens not laying sooner. The fortuneate part is this Memorial Day weekend should be good, toms gobbling all morning long.

My only tips are;
- if you find a Tom gobbling, get as close as possible bet fore setting up. I try to get within 150 yards, within 100 yards preferred.
- DO NOT over call... If your calling more than the Tom is answering back, your most likely over calling.
- As the Tom closes in on you, quit calling and let him walk into you.
- Keep your face and hands covered up and your movement to the bare minimum. If you have to move, do so ever so slowly.
- And very important... this late in the season dose yourself with lots of bug spray... Or you are liable to get eaten alive by the horse flies, ticks and all the other biting insects... It's a tuff situation, having a Tom coming in and your trying to stay still with biting insects munching on you.

Reactions: ChrisZ96 and maki00

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you don't already have one, get a thermacell they work better than advertised. A thermacell and permethrin make for a mostly bug free hunt. DO NOT spray permethrin on your skin, clothes only and let it dry.
jk

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The 870 wingmaster is the finest turkey gun ever made. Especially a slick old wingmaster with an full choke.Never fail lifetime gun.-Locoman

·
Banned
16,242 Posts
Well, you should be. Sharp groomed young man going to college, respectfully asking intelligent questions from 'experience' about a serious matter. Shows confidence in oneself and common sense. ............Gives me hope for America's future. That said, maybe with Elk and Deer I could offer help, but not Turkey. ...............Hang on, some folks here will be right along.

John
:dito::congrats::congrats:

·
Banned
16,242 Posts
Make sure you have the proper hunting license/s for your state, and carry it ON YOU while hunting.

Wear the state required color vest/hat if required.

Know your firearm. Know how to load AND unload it safely, Know how the safety works. Know how to assemble/reassemble your firearm/s for cleaning after firing it.

Don't shoot it if you are not 120% sure of what you are shooting at. And if it has orange on, do not shoot it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts