Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And scouting at the same time. I was out for bear this morning and came across some logging operations that have finished for the year. Found 140' of heavy duty cable. Took over 3 hours and several trips, including bringing in a chainsaw to cut away logs that were over the cable, and then finally dragging easily 100+lbs of cable out nearly a mile thru the mud up and down some hills. I haven't had a work out like that in years. Lots and lots of deer and elk tracks and fresh scat every where. Of course since I was out for bear, no signs of any. :(

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yeah, your crazy.

Reactions: comanche8f

·
Premium Member
11,161 Posts
Of course since I was out for bear, no signs of any. :(

Yup...............VT Bucks FEAR me!................when I get to VT in November, they all go into hiding.......:hmmmm::(

Its a good thing the Coyotes don't talk to the Deer!...........:shot:

Whats 140' of steel cable worth?.........I don't have a clue, but you must have had a good pair of leather gloves.......when you started dragging.............

Tom

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Gee. When I needed cable they came to my house and installed it. Easy.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats 140' of steel cable worth?.........I don't have a clue, but you must have had a good pair of leather gloves.......when you started dragging.............

Tom
I'm wondering the same thing. Last year, I had no cables and collecting firewood was a huge pain in the butt. I tried to cut wood as close to the road as possible, but a cable would have been nice to drag many of the logs closer to the road. Without a doubt in my mind, it is way cooler to find this kinda stuff then it is to pay for it, even at the expense to my own physical toll. I'm still shaking a bit from the energy output. Even 20 years ago, when I was at the top of my game, this would have been an effort.

I rigged up a shoulder harness with some rope, and half dragged half carried the cable that I loosely wound into a giant loop, attempting to minimize the drag.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cable like that, choker, a snatch block, and a good truck and you can really haul out some wood. Used to burn up ten -12 cord a year when I lived in the Bitterroot. Cutting wood from spring till fall was a good way to scout, too.
It's a lot of cable to handle. I'm thinking cutting it in 2. A 50 foot and a 90 foot section with linkage to take advantage of all 140'. Good Idea?

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
When I was in the Army out in El Paso they changed up our arms room and insead of having a heavy chain thru the action handles of the M-16's they replaced it with a steel rod that did the same thing. My friend was the armourer and he gave me all of the chain and it was a pile or it. I am guessing that it was at least 60 feet of chain. I put it in the bottom of my wall locker and seems like everytime someone got stuck in the sand they would come day or night and borrow my chain. My dad always loved a good chain back before the days of bumper mounted winches so I decided that on my next leave I would take him the chain. I cut it in half and it was just about all I could tote in my bag. On two different trips home I lugged that chain thru the El Paso airport and the Houston airport and remember me and my Dad both grabbing a handle on the bag and toting it away from the Houston airport, I was give out from lugging it around. He loved that chain and made good use of it. Just another freebi from Uncle Sam.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I was in the Army out in El Paso they changed up our arms room and insead of having a heavy chain thru the action handles of the M-16's they replaced it with a steel rod that did the same thing. My friend was the armourer and he gave me all of the chain and it was a pile or it. I am guessing that it was at least 60 feet of chain. I put it in the bottom of my wall locker and seems like everytime someone got stuck in the sand they would come day or night and borrow my chain. My dad always loved a good chain back before the days of bumper mounted winches so I decided that on my next leave I would take him the chain. I cut it in half and it was just about all I could tote in my bag. On two different trips home I lugged that chain thru the El Paso airport and the Houston airport and remember me and my Dad both grabbing a handle on the bag and toting it away from the Houston airport, I was give out from lugging it around. He loved that chain and made good use of it. Just another freebi from Uncle Sam.
I was in the Marine Corps, and Govt. waste is another mans treasure. I feel that I have enough cable to fill all my needs (but more is better :) ), and now looking for chains. Logging operations are such that cables and chains are like paper to lawyers offices, the cost of doing business, and an insignificant expense. Lots of cable/chain hunters in my area. :)

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Logging buddy said the cable is some of the best and it is worth about $300. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
That probably got all the soot blown out of your lungs anyhow, lol! Man, I got tired just thinking about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts